How Many Sets + Reps During Full Body Workout?

Just now, First-light said:

I used to do 5 sets reps of 10 when I was in my teens and 20's. Now in my 50's 3 sets of 10 light weight.

I'm sorta in your pattern as far as age/reps go, except I'm pushing 69 and I gave up the weights and use the Total Gym for my workouts...maybe 2 sets of 20 in whatever exercises I can do using the total Gym. Chuck Norris looks pretty solid at 80.

• Like 2

Working from the home office has offered me a lot more time to exercise. I hit the gym 3 or 4 days a week. I average 30 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of weight at the gym. On top of that (while working from home), I'll do micro sessions. A micro session is typically 5-10 minutes on a spin bike, followed by targeted reps and a core exercise. For weight, i'll try to use a mid weight so that I can hit 30-40 reps in a set. I try to get in 8 or 9 micro sessions a day. Today for example, I was at the gym around 5. I did legs for 45 minutes, then treadmill for 30 minutes. Working now, but have completed 4 micro sessions where the exercise is incline bench press and the core exercise is planks for as long as I can hold them. I do all of this just so I can keep up with my kids...

• Like 1

Bands are also cool to work out with. BTW I saw a documentary on the "Shark" losing the green jacket last round. Most epic fail in sports. Not sure that's true but Greg Norman looked amazing. He was fit and trim, arms were huge. He is 67.

I’ve been thinking of doing full body workouts , instead of breaking it up over days . It would be less movements but mostly compound ones .

Anyways today I did tire flips ,7 down , 7 back, then 10 goblet ( kettle bell ) squats X 5 . Then 20 minutes on a Cross Trainer , followed by stretching. 

Couple hours of shed hunting after . 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’ve been thinking of doing full body workouts , instead of breaking it up over days . It would be less movements but mostly compound ones .

Anyways today I did tire flips ,7 down , 7 back, then 10 goblet ( kettle bell ) squats X 5 . Then 20 minutes on a Cross Trainer , followed by stretching. 

Couple hours of shed hunting after . 

I started using my monday morning run to do a slow 2 mile warm up and then 10x100 sprints with a slow jog in between. Other then excersise, once you hit adulthood you don't really have a reason to run full speed anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I started using my monday morning run to do a slow 2 mile warm up and then 10x100 sprints with a slow jog in between. Other then excersise, once you hit adulthood you don't really have a reason to run full speed anymore. 

you don't run to the mailbox or when mowing the lawn like everyone else?

Edited by BizCT

Getting "Big" is easy for me.  It's getting cut thats hard.  Used to do circuits of powerlifting, 3 exercises, 5 sets of 5 reps each, 60 second breaks between sets, then another 3 exercises same deal.  Left me feeling like I wanted to puke at the end of each circuit.  But I got "big" real damn fast.  

Now I swim 3 times a week for 90 minutes, jog 3 miles once a week and do the elliptical for an hour once a week.  Swimming is far and away the hardest but also feel the least amount of pain the next day.  It also seems like something I can do for another 20 to 30 years.  Done wonders for my core too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm serious ,when is the last time you just sprinted full speed ?

1130am while pushing a mower uphill. But in all seriousness, when I go for a jog at a school or on street, I alternate sprints and jog like you mentioned. Usually 40,60 or 100yd dashes when on a football field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Getting "Big" is easy for me.  It's getting cut thats hard.  Used to do circuits of powerlifting, 3 exercises, 5 sets of 5 reps each, 60 second breaks between sets, then another 3 exercises same deal.  Left me feeling like I wanted to puke at the end of each circuit.  But I got "big" real damn fast.  
Now I swim 3 times a week for 90 minutes, jog 3 miles once a week and do the elliptical for an hour once a week.  Swimming is far and away the hardest but also feel the least amount of pain the next day.  It also seems like something I can do for another 20 to 30 years.  Done wonders for my core too.

Night swimming laps is the best. I always sleep awesome those nights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

My days of "reps" and running marathons are behind me...too many injuries to torture my joints anymore. 

My morning routine is 30 minutes on a row erg, 200 sit ups, and 10 minutes of planks. It's all about the core and keeping things moving. Osteoarthritis sucks, but it's just another hurdle.

I don’t typically jump in on the workout threads, but having lifted weights for football and then powerlifting and now just to maintain strength for 37 years, I have found the conjugate method to give me the best results (but have used many other types of training over time).   Constantly changing up exercises and reps/sets makes it harder for the body to adapt to a routine forcing growth.  Plus it’s not as boring.   It does take planning.   But everyone has their own theories and individuals respond differently to training methods.   Now if I just added cardio.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been many years since I lifted weights. Back in the day, the my best results came from lifting until I could no longer, then having my partner assist with the last 2-3 reps. Not sure if this is an actual technique,  but it made sense. Other than that routine for a couple years all my strength came from farming,logging, lucky genetics, and pure stupidity..lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ncountry said:

It's been many years since I lifted weights. Back in the day, the my best results came from lifting until I could no longer, then having my partner assist with the last 2-3 reps. Not sure if this is an actual technique,  but it made sense. Other than that routine for a couple years all my strength came from farming,logging, lucky genetics, and pure stupidity..lol

Ahh-- Forced Reps at the end of a set. Unfortunately  for me,I was the best Spotter around and gave perfect forces reps. Got to the point where some Guys kept calling me to spot and help with forced reps. 

I did plenty of Partial reps after Going to Failure as,I trained alone.

I was doing full body workouts when i first started Mid-December, but as I got stronger and added more exercises to the fold, it was starting to take too long and I wasnt allowing for proper recovery time. So now i do splits  Legs/Shoulders, Back/Biceps, and Chest/Triceps. I mix in 3-4 days of core which is usually planks, russian twists, and flutters. In a perfect world I work 6 days a week allowing for 2 days of each split. 

I do minimum of 3 sets and sometimes 4-5 of compounds. I am working out at home with body weight, pull-up bar, and various dumbbells. it was very humbling to start but now over 4 months in, its like i need it everyday.  

I think I shared in Chef's eat healthy thread and i have gained almost 20 clean pounds since then. Eating is the hard part and still is. Mind over matter they say. 

Edited by SilentStalker
  • Like 1