Youth hunt..

G-Man

Well  got birds roosted. Believe is a group of 4 jakes i have been seeing. Nice easy walk down main logging road roosted 50 yards off it just past ravine , definitely heard 3 birds fly up and saw 2 for sure.  Had 2 different birds gobble... now the hard part  sneaking in in the am and getting them  to come way i want them  to.  Woods are very open and they roosted on a north slope even more open..   do not think i can get in closer than 100 yards with parent and child in tow.. boys 1st hunt ever..  

In addition ibwas just informed my brother and niece will be down..  i know there are more birds  but these will be hard to get past to get to top of ridge to move on others. With out a lot longer walk in the dark.

• Like 3

Several birds gobbling on roost. Watched 3 toms heading to that area a couple hrs before roost time. I'm so excited and nervous for Lila. I can't remember when I've been this excited about turkeys. I've killed multiple dozens of turkeys , and I get more excited about the youth or first timers then I do when ones heading my way when I'm alone. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mowin said:

Several birds gobbling on roost. Watched 3 toms heading to that area a couple hrs before roost time. I'm so excited and nervous for Lila. I can't remember when I've been this excited about turkeys. I've killed multiple dozens of turkeys , and I get more excited about the youth or first timers then I do when ones heading my way when I'm alone. 

Yep i enjoy seeing others successful over myself

• Like 1

Good luck to anyone going out. Hoping I get a phone call in the am from my nephew. If he doesn’t connect I have 2 people plus myself going to roost birds tomorrow night for him. Also have a farmer down the road from my parents who has had 4 big Toms in their meadow I’m going to go see if he will let us chase them around.

• Like 2

Cant agree more! I couldn’t care less if I ever kill another turkey but bringing my daughter last year was by far my favorite hunt ever! The year before my ex girlfriend got her first bird was a close 2nd. Hopefully tomorrow we can get on a bird, daughter says she’s in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

Im up niece is still sleeping said to leave her sleep if aLarm doesnt waKe her up. Not sure about the 5 am in woods with her  , friend and his son are on way.. maybe a 2 part hunt one after roosed birds and second a few hours later .. thats ok never push kids.  Hope her dad lets her sleep in   him and rest of family are headed to alfred to lòok at college for oldest nephew this am.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

On to spot number two, she did everything right. Me on the other hand, I suck and my complete lack of patience saved a long beards life. We setup on the birds I found yesterday morning. It was a toss up between there or the other side of the road where I knew birds would be but haven’t heard them. Of course at sunrise a bird in the spot I didn’t pick gobbled hundred of times and we never heard a bird where we were. I told her we were sitting until 7 then we’ll make a move. At 630 I told her this would bite us in the butt but I’d had enough with that bird still gobbling. I got up to get decoys to walked back to her to put them in the bag and she says “dad turkey.” Of course 60yds on the log road we were set up on is a long beard, coming right to the call. I played with him for a bit with the fan decoy but the gig was up. As we were walking back to the truck she says “at least you warned me that you were going to screw ur up dad.”

Oh well we had a good laugh and are headed to the other bird.

• Like 8

Had adult and 2 jakes come in  ,niece missed at 20yards in for breakfast. Back out 930 try again

. Birds put on good show strutting and gobbling  few dozen times. Jakes stayed around after shot but were too close together for a clean 1 bird kill.

• Like 3

My son and I are out in 8j, had a few gobble north and south of us but never saw a male.  This hen came in guns a blazing making all sorts of noise.  Will give it another shot in the morning.

spacer.png

Edited by billey100
  • Like 3

Headed to the 3rd property of the morning. She got busted by a Jake trying to get swung on a gobbler. We’re having an awesome morning and birds are gobbling. We are going to look at a spot where I’ll be able to see turkeys from the road if they’re there if not we are heading back to where we starting and will stay until noon.

• Like 5

Had three birds screaming at 5:45 this am for my son in PA this morning. Eventually  all 3 Tom’s and two hens came into our setup at about 7:30. Two Tom’s presented a 25 yard shot when they attacked our Jake decoy, and whifffffff right over its head. That was mine and his first time calling Turkeys in. They are incredible in person! 

• Like 3

Great morning.  We were set up about 100 yards from several roosted toms. Had another group about 200 yards out. It was non stop gobbling. Had to hear a 100 gobbles.  Had two hens pich down and come rite into our setup. 10 min later we see a white head, then another, and another. Couple soft clucks and they gobbled and went into strut. At 35 yards, Lila took the shot. 20g TSS #8. 24lbs, 14" beard, 1" spur.  Me on the left, her dad on the right.

IMG_20220423_060337982.jpg

Edited by mowin
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mowin said:

Great morning.  We were set up about 100 yards from several roosted toms. Had another group about 200 yards out. It was non stop gobbling. Had to hear a 100 gobbles.  Had two hens pich down and come rite into our setup. 10 min later we see a white head, then another, and another. Couple soft clucks and they gobbled and went into strut. At 35 yards, Lila took the shot. 20g TSS #8. 24lbs, 14" beard, 1" spur.  Me on the left, her dad on the right.

IMG_20220423_060337982.jpg

Congrats!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Had three birds screaming at 5:45 this am for my son in PA this morning. Eventually  all 3 Tom’s and two hens came into our setup at about 7:30. Two Tom’s presented a 25 yard shot when they attacked our Jake decoy, and whifffffff right over its head. That was mine and his first time calling Turkeys in. They are incredible in person! 

Niece did same.right over top... well its called hunting not killing

• Like 1