Seen some poults this morning.

mowin

Wss taking a ride past the farm, and a hen with a handful of poults ran across the road.  Once momma was about 50 yards into the taller grass she squatted down on top of the poults and flattened out trying to hide. 

IMG_20220422_075712933.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mowin said:

Wss taking a ride past the farm, and a hen with a handful of poults ran across the road.  Once momma was about 50 yards into the taller grass she squatted down on top of the poults and flattened out trying to hide. 

WOW  !!... That's super early..    I remember a study done in NY on nesting hens quite a few years back...In that study the average hatching date was June 13th... 

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

WOW  !!... That's super early..    I remember a study done in NY on nesting hens quite a few years back...In that study the average hatching date was June 13th... 

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't see it myself.  I really wanted to walk closer, but didn't want to chance her leaving them.  I went down the road and turned around, probably 3min, and she was gone. 

Just now, Lawdwaz said:

Those poor buggers are going to have a tough go of it….plenty of cold wet weather coming still.   

What about food, not much to chow on yet?

Grass is getting green fast, and I imagine therea few bugs here and there, but ya, there in for a fight to survive for sure. 

1 minute ago, blackbeltbill said:

Say what?!! Poults already. Earliest,I have seen Poults  was 3rd week of May years back.

I know...  I was shocked. I did see a tom breed a few hens first week of April, which is common, but this crazy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Those poor buggers are going to have a tough go of it….plenty of cold wet weather coming still.   

What about food, not much to chow on yet?

Oh lots of bugs, they could dine on cluster flys alone .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mowin said:

• 1 month later...

I've seen a few out hiking. I'm seeing more in the areas hunting isn't allowed, then where it is. Seen some pictures of 4 nests with eggs ranging from 6-10 last Saturday sighting in a rifle, and that area hasn't had a good turkey population in about 10 years, but it looks like they are coming back.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Posted on the UHRV NDA facebook page but had a couple groups of poults other day riding around checking cams on the farm. pic is of a hen touting 18 poults and a little over a mile away toward the other side of the farm was a hen with half a dozen. then a there was a bachelor group with a couple adult hens not far from that. 

2022 poults.JPG

• Like 3