Seen some poults this morning.

mowin

So I have a question. My first morning at the cabin and across my driveway was a hen with 4 poults. As I watched three other hens were behind them. as they got closer to the poults the mother hen fended them off not wanting them near. I thought it was weird. any ideas or is this normal. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, First-light said:

So I have a question. My first morning at the cabin and across my driveway was a hen with 4 poults. As I watched three other hens were behind them. as they got closer to the poults the mother hen fended them off not wanting them near. I thought it was weird. any ideas or is this normal. 

I've seen the same behavior many times if the other hens do not have poults of their own.  Hens with poults will often group up after awhile, helping to keep a lookout for predators. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got 3 separate flocks around my house. 1 is 4 hens that have no poults. 

The 2nd has 8 poults that are just about the size of mom. The last flock has 2 hens with about 12-14 poults. Some are around half the size of mom and the rest slightly larger than a partridge. 

• Like 1