Looking For Deer Processing in Southern New York

WestchesterBowman

I live in SI, so I have a little more room than you. Last year I shot a doe on the last day of MZ and brought her home to butcher myself. My neighbors were *not* happy with me hanging her up and skinning her in the back yard. Heheh. The smell of her did bring in a beautiful 8 pointer to check things out. He stayed at about 20 yards watching me work for about 10 minutes before he decided he wasn't going to get any, and walked off.

I wish I didn't have to drive 2-3 hours to hunt, the nicest bucks I've ever seen first hand have been a couple hundred feet from my house. :(

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 1

I live in westchester and used amatos in the past but you would need to cross the bridge. He is located on rt 35 near Yorktown. He does a good job.

I did process my own deer once and brought it to my house (my backayard/butcher shop during the season shares a fence with four other families so we are tightly configure) . While I had some neighbors initially a bit queezy about seeing the deer, it gave me an opportunity to show off what great meat it is, opened a dialogue about hunting and deer populations and about why harvesting deer is not as gruesome and it is made out to be by our antis. After throwing some nice blackstrap on the grill, they no longer wished me any ill will and are now my biggest cheerleaders for this season!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Would the meateria in pearl river do it? You could give him a call. I suspect all his meat is brought up from the bronx (Arthur Ave) but I think he has a cold room and hanger in the back. I was tempted to ask him to make venison sausage last year but ended up doing it on my own.

• 1 month later...

Two deer down so far this year. One went to Amato's in Westchester. He did a fine job. I'd prefer everything to be vacuum packed though. I took my second deer to Malafys in Red Hook, NY. Absolute kick ass job, fast, clean, every single cut is vacuum sealed and labeled.

Did a bunch of speciality stuff too. Had the hot dogs last night, absolutely awesome.

http://www.malafysmeatprocessing.com/

o8V6Ul.jpg

• Like 1

Amato's is actually on Route 100 just north of Route 35 in Katonah/Somers in Westchester County... Cost was $90 for butchering last year... I shot a buck on Monday after opening day and picked up the meat on Wednesday (before Thanksgiving)... I highly recommend them... Shoot me a pm if you need a phone number.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a guy in verplank that does a great job. It is a side business for him but during gun season he has 3-4 guys butchering with him 10-12 hours a day. I can get the name and number for you if you want.

I'd be interested in this guys number too...does he supply the deer too since I can't seem to find ANY?!?!
  • Haha 1

How is Deserto's?    Does he have a freezer box ? or carcus fridge.   Does he do mounts?

I went to my local processor today, 60 degrees outside, he has 20 deer laying outside, waiting to be butchered !!!  I figure 1/2 the meat will be spoiled rotten by the time he processes them all.   Even with 6 guys butchering deer, each deer is laying in the 60 degree weather for at least a few hours.  He couldn't process them fast enough.

What do you guys do with opening weekend being so warm outside ??

Edited by the blur

i am not trying to preach here but first and formost...... from field to cooler.

1. proper field dressing(unlike my nextdoor neighbor.......... long story)

2.as soon as possible skinned ,cleaned(water,salt,and washed down) backstraps into one (uncented) garbage bag, each hind 1/4 into a bag of their own, front 1/4's and neck into another.

3. if you CANNOT do the butchering yourself...... take the said above meat to local butcher and have them do it.

4. i do lot live down in the BIG city or even close to it but........ my first apartment was a 3rd floor upper studio that the bathroom door most thought was a closet?????????? long story short..i may have shot it there... but with a bit more time and effort.....

best of luck to all of you that are looking for a place to take care of your hard work.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if there are any South Eastern NY places to get venison made into things like BLUEBERRY MAPLE SAUSAGE like those WNY guys get?

You could check with Quaker Creek Store in Pine Island, NY.  A lot of guys use him for specialty stuff.  You could always start a new hobby too...

Edited by Bionic