Syracuse Gun Show

airedale

Well I could not resist adding to my single shot collection, a little Star rolling block 30-30 priced right. I have been wanting a rolling block forever, have stayed away from them because most are chambered in 45-70 Buffalo rifles weighing 10 or 11 pounds and some pretty high prices. Small calibers are rarely seen.

This little Star carbine is in pristine condition with a shiny mirror finish bore that has not been shot much. I picked up a couple of boxes of Remington ammo and as soon as I got out of the truck at home I walked back to my range put in a cartridge and took a shot at one of the steel plates at 50 yards and hit it dead center. Next on my list is a Sharps single shot.

I am pleased.

As for the gun show there was plenty of ammo to be had and a decent collection of firearms priced fairly.

Al

2022-04-24_162051.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, airedale said:

Well I could not resist adding to my single shot collection, a little Star rolling block 30-30 priced right. I have been wanting a rolling block forever, have stayed away from them because most are chambered in 45-70 Buffalo rifles weighing 10 or 11 pounds and some pretty high prices. Small calibers are rarely seen.

This little Star carbine is in pristine condition with a shiny mirror finish bore that has not been shot much. I picked up a couple of boxes of Remington ammo and as soon as I got out of the truck at home I walked back to my range put in a cartridge and took a shot at one of the steel plates at 50 yards and hit it dead center. Next on my list is a Sharps single shot.

I am pleased.

As for the gun show there was plenty of ammo to be had and a decent collection of firearms priced fairly.

Al

2022-04-24_162051.png

Was there a lot of 30/30 ammo available ?  What kind and how much money per box ?

I haven’t seen any at Runnings in over a year.  

I went today and the show was pretty good, picked up a bunch of little things I needed, an old Stevens box call for my collection and some turkey ammo.  There’s a Remington 141 that I’m kinda regretting not buying and may call the vendor and buy it.  The 30-30 was assorted brands most I looked at were in $35 a box range.

Edited by Trad bow

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Was there a lot of 30/30 ammo available ?  What kind and how much money per box ?

I had no problem finding 30-30 ammo both Remington and Federal, I went with Remington 150 gr. It was selling in the mid thirty dollar range.

Al

2 hours ago, airedale said:

I had no problem finding 30-30 ammo both Remington and Federal, I went with Remington 150 gr. It was selling in the mid thirty dollar range.

Al

Thanks, that’s good to know.  One of the primary reasons that I opted for a 30/30 over a .35 Rem, when I was rifle shopping a few years ago, was to assure future ammo availability.   The .35 Rem might be a tad better deer cartridge, but not if you don’t have ammo for it.