send letters for crossbows in NY

bottom line is in the near future corssbows will be legal in NY to hunt with by anyone.  As I stated before if it is a money maker to buy a privelege to ue one,the state go for it.  Mark my words

bottom line is in the near future corssbows will be legal in NY to hunt with by anyone.  As I stated before if it is a money maker to buy a privelege to ue one,the state go for it.  Mark my words

I don't think anyone is arguing with that. Seeing as to how the bill is reportedly sitting on Patterson's desk, I don't think anyone is doubting that it is practically law. And certainly the money-maker comment has been proven more than once.

In case you lost your place, my comments were aimed at your reply where you seem to be longing for bowhunters to step aside and hand over their season to the muzzleloaders. It seems that everybody is sizing up the existing bow season with a jealous eye and trying to figure how to shoe-horn their way in without having to go through all that tedious nonsense of actually learning archery. A lot of people have begun to view the bowhunting season as an easy mark and ready for a hostile take-over ..... lol.

Doc

I am more thinking you missed mine. I live in the northern zone where I have the best of both worlds. I can start bow hunting on 9/27 and have 4 days to use up unused tags. Then in mid october, I have a week to hunt with a muzzleloader then reguar season then in december another week to hunt with the muzzleloader. My only point was you cant have it all forever. It works fine in the north where I guess selfishness isnt as abundant.  We all find places to hunt and get along without puffing out our chests and wanting to be the dominant tribe.  No one said that archery season has to be taken over, just shared. mMzzleloaders and archery hunt the same time here, and they could in the fall.  All the time I hunt the sothern zone, it is muzzleloading as I will only take it down there. I am simply saying the time to draw lines in the sand i spast. Either we are together or we arent. We are all hunters regardless of what method we use.  Again happy hunting

i got this off another forum and this guy seems to really size up NY and what sportsman in this state are up against. not only are we up against numerous anti hunting, animal loving/rights groups and lawmakers who wanna stomp our hunting heritage into the mud but we got guy's/groups who call themselves hunters who's life work in this state is keeping other hunters from using a weapon of thier choice?? Read Below..

Quote:  [table]    [tr][td]    Originally Posted by moosemike alt=View Posthttp://www.huntingnet.com/forum/images/freshorange/buttons/viewpost.gif[/img]  Is there a reason not to be happy with what you got in NY?[/t][/t]  ????? Are you kidding? besides the beautiful scenery, there is NOTHING to happy about in this ridiculous state , Ill run a few reason out there for ya.

-Gun control is our politicians favorite pastime

-magazine, bayonet, pistol grip, and flash surpressor restrictions

-Pistol permits are a long shot for anyone whos ever been arrested (not convicted)for anything, and even if you are lucky enough to get one, theres restrictions on how, and when you can carry, or even possess it, and god forbid you were to ever use it to defend yourself! in a home invasion youre legally obligated to flee.

-98$ resident hunting licenses!!!!!

-35$res. fishing license!!!!!! 30$ public land boat permit!!!!! + boat regi $$$$$

- some of the highest property taxes despite having some of the worst roads you ever saw.

- you cannot possess a firearm and a bow, during archery season, so basically I cannot duck hunt in the morning, and bow hunt deer in the after noon without going home and dropping off the gun and picking up the bow. Even LEOs cannot carry a sidearm while bowhunting.

-trigger locks are mandatory while transporting any firearm in your car.

-Even if you go through the grueling process of getting a pistol permit, you still have to do a nics checks to buy a gun (WTFs the permit for then???)

-the state has NO $$$$$$ despite the over taxation of everything, and is a hair away from bankruptcy ,meaning it will have to beg pimp daddy obamma for a bailout soon.

-Bloomberg,schumer,paterson,gillibrand,the clintons,the UN...need I say more???

Tell me, is that pile of sht, something someone whos into hunting, shooting, and fishing, or just appreciates liberty, might not be happy about,the list goes on and on. NYS sucks!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, thats not enough for the anti xbow knobs, right? lets allow the antihunting/antigun politicians, and legislature, to restrict us some more! screw all the folks who want to participate and enjoy the archery season with a user friendly X bow, might actally increase interest in hunting, oh no, we cant have that now can we? Gotta have the freakin woods all to ourselves cause we shoot our bows vertically.[/td][/tr][/table]

Sorry guys, archery season was never up for grabs. Its an established season with a long history. A history that does not include crossguns or muzzleloaders.   

Bubba, I'm glad I hunt the southern zone. You guys up north are pretty radical.   

Sorry guys, archery season was never up for grabs. Its an established season with a long history. A history that does not include crossguns or muzzleloaders.   

Bubba, I'm glad I hunt the southern zone. You guys up north are pretty radical. 

yea sounds like a living hell up there :)

I am more thinking you missed mine. I live in the northern zone where I have the best of both worlds. I can start bow hunting on 9/27 and have 4 days to use up unused tags. Then in mid october, I have a week to hunt with a muzzleloader then reguar season then in december another week to hunt with the muzzleloader. My only point was you cant have it all forever. It works fine in the north where I guess selfishness isnt as abundant.  We all find places to hunt and get along without puffing out our chests and wanting to be the dominant tribe.  No one said that archery season has to be taken over, just shared. mMzzleloaders and archery hunt the same time here, and they could in the fall.  All the time I hunt the sothern zone, it is muzzleloading as I will only take it down there. I am simply saying the time to draw lines in the sand i spast. Either we are together or we arent. We are all hunters regardless of what method we use.  Again happy hunting

Yes, I understood your point the first time. You simply want to do away with all special seasons and turn the whole archery time slot into a free-for-all where anyone can pick up anything and use it. Let's face it, that's what it all boils down to.....right? You don't understand why archery requires a special season, unique and separate from firearms.

Frankly, I don't happen to agree with that. You obviously don't have a clue what the hunter densities are like down here or you wouldn't even entertain such a foolish idea for even a second. Or perhaps you are an archer in name only and really don't understand the conditions required to actually harvest a deer with a bow. I do not want to bowhunt under the carnival atmosphere that apparently you want to. I don't want to feel like I must wear blaze orange just to bowhunt safely, and I don't want to find myself trying to bowhunt in the middle of a deer drive, and I would like to at least have a chance to utilize somewhat uninterrupted deer patterns in order to get within the range demanded by archery equipment without gunners driving the deer into nocturnal patterns. Those are the reasons the original archery season was divorced from gun seasons, and they are all still darn good reasons. Those reasons involve safety and practicality. And yet some of the muzzleloader people want to lay claim to that part of the season too. Talk about selfish. My gosh even the rifle and shotgun hunters aren't that darn piggish.

And speaking of rifle and shotgun hunters, what feature is it about a muzzleloader that makes you think that you should be treated any different from them. Other than the single shot feature, (which is shared with a lot of the shotguns and rifles), the muzzleloader is equal to or better than many of the shotguns and rifles that are relegated to the regular deer seasons. So if you have this hatred for bowhunters because they demand truly justifiable separate seasons and are trying to legitimately exclude firearms, what must you be thinking about your own motives and how do you justify wanting to have special priviledges with your muzzleloader over your fellow gun hunters when you really don't have any legitimate reasons for doing so. You seem to be quite willing to leave your other gun hunters behind relegated to just the regular big game season. Maybe when you speak of "Either we are together or we arent", you ought to take a look in the mirror.

Doc

I gotta say, I do not support just mashing everything together, and shotguns/rifles/MLs should not be put in with archery, nor should there be an early firearms or ML season. Ideally, Id like to see the crossbow implemented for all seasons and Id like to see gun season shortened. Shotgun/rifle really should consist of a week, two at the most with some other ML season(s) put in the late season.

again Doc I do not have a dog in this hunt.  You sure take a lot out of context. My original post was about the same whining from archery guys when they wanted to implement a muzzeloader season in the southern tier. I understand that they wanted to not let both muzzleloaders and archery in the woods at thesame time. That I disagree with.  However I do not see any problem with archery and muzzeloaders in the woods at the same time as it is in the north and works well.  As far as my having no clue about archery or an archer in name only, I will start by saying that I am certified in New York state to teach the archery course. I volunteer my time so guys like you can get a certificate and then think you own the woods.  I hunt archery with a bear grizzly recurve 50 pound pull with no sights as I shoot it instinct very very well.  I have harvested may deer with it, and wil continue to.  I would liek ot know the difference between a compound bow with all the gadgets and a cross bow?  As fr as muzzleloaders during the SPECIAL season, I hunt with my traditions flintlock with patched round balls and open sites.  I doubt you have any clue about what it takes to harvest a deer with it.  But I can do so woth archers in the woods at the same time.  However that does not give me the right to tell others what to hunt with, or when to do it.  loosen your sphincter a little, live and let live.

You may hunt with a "flintlock with patched round balls and open sites", but that isn't the way the muzzleloader seasons are defined in NYS is it? So what is the justification for having a season for scoped, in-line, muzzleloaders that is separate and apart from shotguns and rifles? I am still curious about the answer to that question. Perhaps instead of taking an unhealthy and I must say, weird interest in how relaxed my sphincter is, maybe you could try to actually answer that question some time.

As far as what kind of bowhunting instructor you may or may not be, I will bite my tongue and withold my assumptions on that as I try to imagine what kind of bowhunter would ever champion stirring firearms into bow seasons. I won't mention anything about my assumption that most bowhunters understand the value of trying to pattern and set-up on relatively undisturbed deer....lol.

At any rate, your comments about the whining bowhunters, and how we think we own the woods kind of tells the story on where your biases lie.

Doc

again I have no biases I could care less if the southern tier ever get a muzzleloader season or if cross bows can be used. Take out one line that says relax your sphincter a bit which simply means dont be so uptight and use that. Sad sad sad well actually pathetic. Your posts say nothing of value other than you want the woods all to yourself. If you are such an expert archer why arent you teaching? the people of the state could benefit from your vast knowledge and prejudices.  Since you will have nothing of value to respond with and never address the subject matter of my posts and simply spew how archers are special, I iwll not respond. However I will extend an invitation to you to come up north and hunt with e and see hoe peole can hunt together and get along before you knock it.  you can bring your fancy sighted up 300 fps compound with tons of let off, and I will show you how a true archer does it. Drop me a line and I will let you  know how to get here and I will put you up at my house.  So i guess that ends it with put up or shut up.

Not to lean off topic here but----in previous post

-trigger locks are mandatory while transporting any firearm in your car.

Really? ??? ?    I have never heard that?

Where did you get that? I never have a trigger lock on any gun thats in my car. My handgun is loaded with one in the hole at all times when its in my car. During hunting season, my guns guns arent loaded in the car, but they dont have locks either.

you can bring your fancy sighted up 300 fps compound with tons of let  off, and I will show you how a true archer does it.

Does your house have electric? Does your car use gas or still running on steam? Just curious  :)

yup us peoples in the north have all those fancy thing now dontcha know. I aologize for thinking there is something to be said for the true traditional ways. I remember when archery season was for primitive bows aka long bows and recurves. I guess things do evolve even into cross bows hmmmmm. nighty night gents get out your book of wit and humor to find an apporpriate response.

Heh, I'm just joking.  But, my traditional ways, is a compound. At 16 my first deer ever was taken with one, and I been using it for 16 years.  So saying a compound is fancy a little ridiculous.  Calling xbow fancy, now I'll agree with ya. Looking through a peep and looking through a scope are two different things.  But whatever, I have not made my mind up yet if I am for or against it really.

Heh, I'm just joking.  But, my traditional ways, is a compound. At 16 my first deer ever was taken with one, and I been using it for 16 years.  So saying a compound is fancy a little ridiculous.  Calling xbow fancy, now I'll agree with ya. Looking through a peep and looking through a scope are two different things.  But whatever, I have not made my mind up yet if I am for or against it really.

it has nothing to do with todays vert compound bow hunters being such purist's that scopes are not being used on their bows. if there were any practical way to mount a scope on a compound vert bow it would have been done by now.