send letters for crossbows in NY

actually I have not been discussing this in a while, I was simply pointing out the obvious as stated.  and as far as beig rude when tongue tied umm nope I am well trained on how to get it over on guys like you everyday all day. So you sit back and practice your armcahir psychology and let everyne see how cool you want to be. 

Point is obvious- letoff means easier to get and maintain proficiency.

Recurve is far harder to get proficient, much less maintain it.

Compound = easier. Recurve = harder.

Therefore you are choosing to hunt an easier way, but wish to limit others wanting to use an easier way to bowhunt. Defending the long rich 40 year tradition of compounds and letoff - now available to 99% with 80% plus being common. There is nothing primitive about the current bowseason - it either should return to its real roots or allow all archery equipment in.

Point is obvious- letoff means easier to get and maintain proficiency.

Recurve is far harder to get proficient, much less maintain it.

Compound = easier. Recurve = harder.

Therefore you are choosing to hunt an easier way, but wish to limit others wanting to use an easier way to bowhunt. Defending the long rich 40 year tradition of compounds and letoff - now available to 99% with 80% plus being common. There is nothing primitive about the current bowseason - it either should return to its real roots or allow all archery equipment in.

When you say "primitive roots", are you speaking of a requirement for self-bows only with the stipulations of no modern glues or plastics or other modern bowmaking materials. Or perhaps you are talking about the longbow since it has an even more "primitive" design than the recurve. Would you like to eliminate take-down recurves? How about accessories such as arrows, releases (perhaps limited only to the Turkish thumb ring), modern string materials? Just where do you want to draw the line? You see none of that period-oriented limitation is a practical or reasonable way to define a bowseason implement is it? The fact is that we call it bowseason not primitive weapons season. And that weapon is defined clearest by the procedures to shoot it, not by any particular era that it was originated in or some arbitrary test of whether it is easier or harder to shoot. And as was decided quite a few years ago and made into law, the compound fits the needed definition and the crossbow does not. It's really quite simple when you are not trying to confuse the issue with irrelevance. 

Doc

Are we not flogging a dead horse here no matter what side of the cross – bow issue you are on. There will be cross – bow use somewhere in the 2011 season :-X

Most likely. It's a bit like AR and some of the other hot-button issues .... lol. There is an unwritten requirement that periodically the crossbow issue has to be brought up, and the same old arguments have to be put forth over and over again. It's tradition. We have some trolls that are dedicated to always seeing that the new crossbow threads are created to keep the discussion alive. And of course when the B.S. gets a bit too deep, I am always available to jump in. Like I say, it has become a hunting forum tradition. 

Doc

And the same old trolls jump in with the same old anti arguements that have been debunked every time they put them forth. Anyone who thinks either of these is what the bow season was about is simply kidding themselves.

post-38-131455307112_thumb.jpg

post-38-131455307121_thumb.jpg

"And of course when the B.S. gets a bit too deep, I am always available to jump in."

Sounds a bit narcissistic dont you think. Like the mighty mouse theme.  Here I come to save the day.

Hey ..... big word there bubba. Don't strain yourself.....lol.

By the way are you still engaged in the crossbow discussion or has this just turned into one continual personal attack for you? Just trying to understand where you are coming from so I can figure out just when to start ignoring you.

And the same old trolls jump in with the same old anti arguements that have been debunked every time they put them forth. Anyone who thinks either of these is what the bow season was about is simply kidding themselves.

Well, you'll have to take that up with your legislators because as far as I know they are both legal. Also, as far as I know they both use the same principles of operation as any other bow too.

i just mailed my letter against this and called my legislator's office. I also got 6 friends to mail in anti-letters - I don't have anything against crossbows - only that they need to be used during a firearm season, since it's the same level of skill needed - not the same level of skill as bow.

no one will be allowed to use on the private properties I own/lease

i just mailed my letter against this and called my legislator's office. I also got 6 friends to mail in anti-letters - I don't have anything against crossbows - only that they need to be used during a firearm season, since it's the same level of skill needed - not the same level of skill as bow.

no one will be allowed to use on the private properties I own/lease

So say NY says crossbows are fine in bow season and someone leases the land from you, youre going to tell them that they cant use a legal hunting implement on the land?

BTW, if you read the bill, which it sounds like you didnt, it is only allowing crossbows into any season that a muzzle loader is allowed in (regular gun and late ML).  ::)

WNY---you are never going to be able to reason or discuss with emotional people....Too bad really. I can say with confidence that I am opposed to anyone "imposing" their view on any of us. I would choose not to use one and that is how it should be....MY choice, within the legal limits. I would have no problem with others using a x-bow during regular archery if it were legal...that is THEIR choice. We talk freedom  and then go down this road amongst ourselves...sad

If you can't see it for what it is, any further discussion is a waste of breath. I rest my case.

Lol ......... Now you have finally stumbled on it .....Ha-ha. Further discussion is a waste of breath. That just occurred to me too. Took long enough ..... lol. This entire discussion could be conducted with the cut and paste function if we had access to the old forum. And that goes for both sides of the argument. It gets a bit boring, redundant and repetitive. And look what it has done to poor old Bubba. He's been reduced to a frothing maniac who doesn't even discuss crossbows anymore. He just sits there in the corner, twitching. Personal attacks are about all he has left anymore. The rest of us pretend that we have something new to say, which really isn't true at all. It's all quite humorous actually. If this thread dies the natural death that it deserves, which most of them eventually do, I'm sure one of the crossbow proponents will start up another thread trolling for reaction. It's kind of funny, but as you said, it really is a waste of breath ....... on both sides. There's no minds being changed here.

Doc