send letters for crossbows in NY

Chevy. That was a fairly absolute comment. I believe it will increase numbers. I know from my circles that some older gents I use to hunt with can not tolerate the cold gun seasons anymore so they do not hunt. They also can not pull a bow anymore. So they do not buy licenses anymore. I also believe that youth would benefit from the crossbow and increase their interest. My neice would love to hunt with her father but can't draw the bow due to her small frame.

For the youth the hook is there getting game. just like fishing. Most 12 year olds will will get bored and lose interest if they are not catching fish. They would rather catch a 100 perch than fish all day and catch 1 quality Steelhead.

I just can't see the opposition of the inclusion as a legal implement. There is a spot for it int he seasons. I am not advocating a 100% head to head with standard archery but why not someplace.

Culver, I find your comments questionable. Opening day of gun season is usually around 40 degress on average. You want me to believe that an old guy in such bad condition can bow hunt but he can't handle 40 degrees so he quite hunting??

Any 12 yr old can draw a 40# bow. I see boys and girls alike do it. If she can't how the heck is she going to handle a heavy crossbow.

Yes the key is getting the youth hooked early which is what archery season does. No need to immedialtely show them the easy route which takes no practice or commitment. 

Why does when something was invented even factor in this discussion?

Because that is the argument. It is based on tradition and tradition is history. Since the United States has a limited historical lifespan, I.E. 500 years people tend to choose a selective historical fact to fit their argument.

Well my uncle has Hypothyroidism and can not tolerae hot or cold temps. Another long time friend of mine has Raynauds disease (Scleroderma) and cold affects his fingers trerribly. And yes it has caused them to quit hunting. couple thes with age and a few other issues and the warm weather of bow season would make a difference.

And again you show your "absolute" views..."any 12 yo can draw a 40# bow". That is not true. She didi take a turkey this spring and did very well witht the 20 gauge but was sitting and supported off her knee. I imagine a lot like many of us do when hunting out of box blinds she would use a rest.

I have to take exception on your easy route comment too. What is this sport all about anyway? We must have been brought up very differently because  I was shown a sport that was first about time with my family... enjoying the outdoors...learning the basic woodsman skills... safe gun/bow handling....and if we were lucky maybe enjoy a dinner of our harvest.  So having a youth learn all of that and placing a crossbow in their hands is the easy route and shows no committment? Practice is practice and the most important thing we should be teaching our kids is everything right up to the point of the release or trigger pull. I respect your right to choose what you do with your kids but I find it troubling that in this opposition you would impose your beliefs on others. I personally don't and won't hunt with one...but it should be just that my choice.

I do agre with Doc on the Bows only in Bow season....My point is there has to be a spot for this to be included. It only makes sense. Give the Cross bo an inclusion in the lsat 7 days of bow season...or allow it in the late bow muzzleloader. Why not as a legal implement during regular season. I would think the State would be drooling over the prospect of another $$$$ stamp.

The way I understand the story is; there'll be no new stamp. SO, all those people who tossed out big $$ dollar signs were blowing smoke.

The only thing good in the Xbow bill is that you can use it on private land. As we all know who would bring a Xbow to a gun fight.

The restrictions and definition on the Xbow as stated in the bill will severly restrict any new Xbow development in NY. Unlike the Compound bow that has transformed from a simple pully system into a space age carbon fiber multi-wheel & cam space toy. Far from the traditional bent stick used in the arguments.

At this point no word has come foward on an early ML date. You can bet the ML folks have made that know to the legislators and the DEC. 

In My Opinion all the special interest got a season,scopes,rifles, no fishing license and it didn't cost them anything.

So my next comment when asked what does the NY hunting community  need ? When do we get an early ML week or weeks? I pay for it and expect to be not only heard but accommodated.

It went something like this:

see attached

:)

crossbow.doc

No Steve, the whole argument boils down to the fact you have to draw and hold a bowsting on archery equipment but with a crossbow there is none of that making it akin to a gun.

Just another opinion - certainley not a fact.

I personally don't and won't hunt with one...but it should be just that my choice.

Exactly and that is why the NYSMLA President wrote and told the Press,Federations,Sportsmen for over 10 years to; make it legal,no restrictions & let the DEC decide where the Xbow should be used.

That statement was a no brainer, it involved no special circumstances.

Hey, its a done deal now!  LMAO  NY sportsmen got exactly what they asked for. More legislative regulation

The final Bill that was passed, A00924E, authorizes the crossbow to be used during the regular gun and muzzeloader season only.  This will begin next year.  You cannot use it to hunt on private land during the  Regular Archery Season.  In order for it to become official, it still needs the Governor's signature

If you go to Assemblywoman DelMonte's web page, go to sponsed legislation, click on A00924E, then when that pulls up, open the text box in the upper right hand corner.  The entire Bill is there

Quote: "hey Doc the crossbow was invented in the 70s, only 40 years ago and has in no way reached the end of the tracks as far as technology or performance, if that were the case we would still be driving Studebakers and flying cross country in prop planes."

------------------------------------------------------------

What the heck are youy talking about? I think you are only several centuries off ..... lol.

Doc

sorry Doc, you don't miss a trick do ya, I meant compound bow and will repost the full response to your post with the correction.....thanks for proof reading...

Actually, I never said that the repeating crossbow was on the market and I did call it a prototype. Of course once again you missed the whole point of the examples as showing that crossbow technology is still in its infancy with huge potential and as the market acceptance grows, the technological growth will make the compound advances look primitive. And as a matter of fact, I saw the video and that repeating unit worked very good and showed the future capabilities of having the frame of a stock to work off of.

As far as the reversed crossbow, I don't know anything about your contention that it was done only to make it narrower. or even the contention that it is slower because of the design. And I certainly believe that it demonstrates the fact that all limits formerly applying to bows are now put on hold with that stock available to build on.

By the way, I read through the new NYS crossbow legislation (this is the state that I am concerned about) and didn't find any restrictions on repeater designs. In fact there are very few design limitations at all.

I understand that not everyone sees potential when they witness it, but take my word for it, that repeater shows one thing very clearly: that stock offers a whole new set of opportunities for all kinds of mechanisms and other speed increasing features. The reversed crossbow also shows that there are all kinds of physical boundaries in an actual bow that get erased when you include a stock.

However, if you find it inconvenient to acknowledge the potential and the fact that crossbow manufacturers are working diligently to make some of these things and more to become reality that's ok. I understand. But I would then also suggest that you also have to deny the wild advancements that the compound historically took since the introduction and acceptance of the Allen compound bow. And if you think that the crossbow does not provide a whole new platform of developments that are not available to bows, then you really are short-sighted. But then again, like I said before, you really don't care about that stuff anyway ..... right?

Doc

hey Doc the vert compound bow was invented in the 70s, only 40 years ago and has in no way reached the end of the tracks as far as technology or performance, if that were the case we would still be driving Studebakers and flying cross country in prop planes.

there will be advancements in crossbow technology and vert compound technology both, and those things will have to be delt with as we come to those bridges, 400 fps vert compound bows are just about here...

In 1966, Holless Wilber Allen invented "Compound Bow" with triangular wheels / cams. He was then granted a patent right in 1969.

I actually heard it was earlier than 1966, like the 40's, and the inventor could not get a patten.

The compound bow, on the other hand, has a pulley and cable system that makes holding weight much easier. A compound bow is simply a machine that stores energy, supplied by the shooter, then releases that energy into an arrow. :O