North Carolina 2022

Bionic

Heading to North Carolina tomorrow night.   I was thinking we leave here around midnight, zoom down through the night.  Says about 8-9 hrs…is Richmond a nuisance to drive through? Thinking we will be prior to any commute hours.  Suggestions? 

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Richmond has traffic but not insane like DC. Avoid rush hour. Where in NC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Youngsville, barely into NC.  Like i said thinking leave here around midnight, it says 8 hrs 4 mins, figure in fuel stops, and pee stops…9 hrs? So 9 am arrival-ish.  I see 295 is a 50 minute bypass for Virginia 

• Like 1

Youngsville, barely into NC.  Like i said thinking leave here around midnight, it says 8 hrs 4 mins, figure in fuel stops, and pee stops…9 hrs? So 9 am arrival-ish.  I see 295 is a 50 minute bypass for Virginia 

Why leave at midnight leave at 6pm you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

Why leave at midnight leave at 6pm you will be fine.

because that’s a convenient time for us due to our daily schedules, and to when we want to arrive where we are going to.  If we left at 6pm we would arrive around 2:30am kind of asinine don’t you think?

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

because that’s a convenient time for us due to our daily schedules, and to when we want to arrive where we are going to.  If we left at 6pm we would arrive around 2:30am kind of asinine don’t you think?

Not at all then go to bed, wake up at 8 or 9 am and enjoy your day..

If you get there at 8am like you plan the whole day is shot

I do this drive often. One you get passed DC it is usually smooth sailing. Potential congestion near richmond but nothing crazy I have experienced.  Im basing this off of the evening rush. If it is similar to morning rush hour I would avoid DC at all costs.  You are in the catskills.  I just drove down 81 to avoid 95.   It was out of the way a bit but I hit no traffic and no tolls. Might be something to consider if it doesn’t take you too far put of the way.  

I did it once a month when I was stationed down at camp Lejeune. Getting through dc is the big worry but sometimes Richmond will get you! Save time to stop at Green top 10150 Lakeridge Pkwy, Ashland, VA 23005. Haven’t been in a couple years but was always my favorite outdoor store. Very similar to kittery trading post.

• Like 2

I do this drive often. One you get passed DC it is usually smooth sailing. Potential congestion near richmond but nothing crazy I have experienced.  Im basing this off of the evening rush. If it is similar to morning rush hour I would avoid DC at all costs.  You are in the catskills.  I just drove down 81 to avoid 95.   It was out of the way a bit but I hit no traffic and no tolls. Might be something to consider if it doesn’t take you too far put of the way.  

Leave NY at 6-630 pm. Hit DC at 10-10:30 pm Richmond around midnight. Destination at 2am sleep wake up and enjoy the day.

I have done the 81 thing from NY to Fla. While it is smoother sailing even with the traffic on 95 it was 2 hours faster. Just my 2 cents.

That being said 81 is a much nicer ride

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Leave NY at 6-630 pm. Hit DC at 10-10:30 pm Richmond around midnight. Destination at 2am sleep wake up and enjoy the day.

I have done the 81 thing from NY to Fla. While it is smoother sailing even with the traffic on 95 it was 2 hours faster. Just my 2 cents.

That being said 81 is a much nicer ride

81 is a much nicer ride for sure. I took 81 to 77 to 26 back to 95 in South Carolina.   I also took into account the traffic situation for my travel time. The dc/virginia area ez pass lanes are ridiculously expensive if you want to drive around traffic.  From nyc to south florida it was about 100 miles extra and around 2 hours longer than 95.  But I looked at it like if I had to sit in rush hour traffic from balt-richmond id make up that 2 hour difference basically plus keep my sanity and toll money.  

But if you time it correctly and avoid any dc area traffic 95 is the way to go. 

I drive Finger Lakes to Florida several times a year. Avoid 95 in northern Virginia during daylight hours at all costs. It once took us 2 hours to go 30 miles. DC area dead of night is usually OK. I usually take the I295 bypass around Richmond. Don't recommend exceeding the speed limit there, area is often heavily patrolled with little speed tolerance (3 over can be a problem). Green Top is worth a stop (think ammo). I recommend Waze, good to know where the hazards and smokies are at. Happy trails!

• Like 1