Power Lines

GreeneHunter

I've hunted state lane with power lines and thought it would be great spot to set up being that feet would have to cross to feed the farm on the other side.. Well they do cross but are keen too the lack of cover and cross very quickly. So think fast !!

• 6 years later...

I've read this thread, but not sure my question was directly answered, so I will give it a shot with a new post. 

What about hunting on gas utility easements? I am looking at a property for hunting that has a gas easement cutting though the land. It looks like a large, cleared path with a pvc pipe sticking up at each property boundary it crosses. (At first I thought it was a maintained trail for snowmobilers until I saw the pipes sticking up.) Would it be safe to shoot on this path? I imagine the gas supply pipe is deep enough that the dirt would stop a bullet from penetrating it. Anyone have any practical experience hunting on or near a gas pipeline easement?

I have seen lots of deer tracks and a few deer on the right of way for powerlines and gas lines. I have taken 2 deer on wood lots adjacent to power lines and 5 deer on woodlots adjacent to railroad tracks. Also hunted a lease in GA that included a powerline, where deer are regularly taken around powerlines. I think power line, gas line cuts and railroad thracks are a plus for hunting.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, goosifer said:

I've read this thread, but not sure my question was directly answered, so I will give it a shot with a new post. 

What about hunting on gas utility easements? I am looking at a property for hunting that has a gas easement cutting though the land. It looks like a large, cleared path with a pvc pipe sticking up at each property boundary it crosses. (At first I thought it was a maintained trail for snowmobilers until I saw the pipes sticking up.) Would it be safe to shoot on this path? I imagine the gas supply pipe is deep enough that the dirt would stop a bullet from penetrating it. Anyone have any practical experience hunting on or near a gas pipeline easement?

Yes , you can do just about everything over a gas line it is deep enough to farm (plowing ,harrowing, etc..) 

I have a friend that has food plots and shooting shacks looking down the rightaways

Edited by ncountry
  • Thanks 1

The pipeline is at least 42inches deep you wont hit it..an easement allows that line thru there but it is still your property you can plow it and seed it. It would be a prime spot as deer are creatures of edge and you get a lot of edge with a nice plot that deer feel safe in as it's just a jump to cover.. the drawback is people will walk easements and right of ways.. it's still. Tresspassing but it makes it a bit harder to control as they can come in from several properties away. Also used by snowmobile and atvs sometime the sleds have an agreement for row for a trail but ATV do not and again can come from long way..

Sometimes a strategically placed blind at each end of the property that is visible can sometimes be a good deterrent to keep trespassers off

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

The pipeline is at least 42inches deep you wont hit it..an easement allows that line thru there but it is still your property you can plow it and seed it. It would be a prime spot as deer are creatures of edge and you get a lot of edge with a nice plot that deer feel safe in as it's just a jump to cover.. the drawback is people will walk easements and right of ways.. it's still. Tresspassing but it makes it a bit harder to control as they can come in from several properties away. Also used by snowmobile and atvs sometime the sleds have an agreement for row for a trail but ATV do not and again can come from long way..

Sometimes a strategically placed blind at each end of the property that is visible can sometimes be a good deterrent to keep trespassers off

Given how well its mowed, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some deal with a snowmobile club. Although a portion of it seems to overlap a small creek that might have water year round.

You mean like a fabric hunting blind on the gas easement at the property lines? 

3 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Given how well its mowed, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some deal with a snowmobile club. Although a portion of it seems to overlap a small creek that might have water year round.

You mean like a fabric hunting blind on the gas easement at the property lines? 

Fabric,wood, tarpaper.. something people cant just look into. Most people will stop if they think someone is there.. havent seen a trespassed yet walk by a blind they know they are in the wrong.. though stopping ng NY and putting up a orange flag making. Tracks around it in snow  something to make someone think its occupied a lot.  I've even seen people put a junk car in a drive way and have neighbor move it or make tracks in and out of driveway..  I do not recommend putting up. Chain on a drive or attempt to barricade an entrance.. all that does is advertize no one is there

• Like 1

As far as I know, you can't hunt power line areas in NYS. If I remember right, the power company ( whichever it might be ) leases the land with a right for usage, but all the other rights still hold to the land owner, so hunting rights would have to be given from the land owner, not the power company, and said land is still private property.

The same goes for the gas lines. I have a gas line that runs across my lawn, which is why we get two lots in our lease, you cannot build on or obscure that tract. Again, the the main rights of that land still revert back to the land owner as far as permissions and access to the public.

• Like 1