Inherited Guns

I just inherited my wife's Fathers guns , her brother and cousin had them for the past 20 years (her Father passed away 20 yrs ago) and her brother doesnt hunt - lucky me ! Anyway they are a 7mm Mauser-modified with fold-over scope-bolt action, a 12ga Remington Auto-Loader and a little 22 Pump which is missing the rod to hold the shells in . Her brother shot 1 deer with the Mauser and when it bailed/cried he gave up hunting . I have'nt shot any of them yet and have no experience with 7mm , I am thinking of using it this season or just sticking with the good ole 30/30 Winchester . Any Thoughts welcome !

there is nothing like the feeling of shooting a deer with a family members gun you have inherited. I have inherited guns from my dad mom and ex father in law. When it happens you really get a feeling you are not alone. I would recommend trying them out.

• Like 1

I'm with "bubba". I dedicate one day of both small game and the deer seasons where I use one of my grandfather's guns. It really brings back the good memories and gives me a sense of appreciation for all he did in bringing me into the sport. They are the best family heirlooms I have and there is no sense leaving them locked away in a safe.

Greenehunter...The 7mm is probably a sporterized mauser...Good chance it is a M93 or M95, both of which are perfectly safe to fire with factory loads, such as Remington Corelocts or equivalent. With 175 grain softpoints they are absolutely deadly on deer. Enjoy...

You say you also have a Rem 12 gauge semi ? There were really no bad ones made. Is it an Model 11 , 11-48, Sportsman 48, Model 58, model 878, Model 1100 ? They are all quality, vintage firearms..

I inherited most of my guns. The year after my father-in-law passed away I had his 30-06 and my son with me. My son was dressed head to toe in his hunting clothes. We sat on watch for 12 minutes before the 3 point I shot stepped out at 45 yards. Gotta believe he was with us on the trip!

funny you say that. Last year I took an H&R sidekick out for muzzleloading. It was my father in laws. Opening morning of muzzleloading was like a hurricane here. Around 730 it cleared off but the wind was whipping. I told the guys at camp I was going out and would be back by 8 for the 4 wheeler. I go tin the stand around 740. Ten minutes later a big doe walked down the trail right in front of me. She sure tasted good. I sure felt she was sent to me. I put the gun away and hopefully someday I will have a grand child to tell the story about the deer as well as how great their great grandfather was when I give them the gun.

I would use that Browning as my main deer gun !

I lost out on the inheritance of my fathers first and only shotgun. It was bought for him in 1957 for his 16th birthday by his dad., It was a Browning "Sweet Sixteen".

Growing up and hunting with him, I loved looking at his gun. I would do all the cleaning, re blued it kept her nice and pretty for me when I thought I would be it's new owner. Unfortunately, it was stolen from his trunk by his his old girlfriend's son. We couldn't prove it, but we know it was him, one of those circumstantial things !

That was about 12yrs ago and I'm still sick about it.

It was probably bought and sold for next to nothing.

I inherited a k-series S&W in .38 special from my grandfather this past spring. It is beautiful, serial # from 1969 and never fired. My brother inherited a matching .22 that was his plinking gun.

He was a world war II veteran, great man. I believe I will continue to keep this firearm in unfired condition. I can shoot all my other firearms anyday but this one is special.

I inherited a k-series S&W in .38 special from my grandfather this past spring. It is beautiful, serial # from 1969 and never fired. My brother inherited a matching .22 that was his plinking gun.

He was a world war II veteran, great man. I believe I will continue to keep this firearm in unfired condition. I can shoot all my other firearms anyday but this one is special.

Or you could give that K-38 to me...

I'm a GRANDFATHER and I promise I'd treat it SPECIAL....

• Like 1

I was fortunate to inherit my grandfathers .32 remington model 14 and as I understand , he purchased it in 1916 for the price of $16 . There are no more factory loads made for it . I take 'Grandpa ' for a walk every year and hope he gets one more deer. I do treasure having a piece of history.

jim

I was fortunate to inherit my grandfathers .32 remington model 14 and as I understand , he purchased it in 1916 for the price of $16 . There are no more factory loads made for it . I take 'Grandpa ' for a walk every year and hope he gets one more deer. I do treasure having a piece of history.

jim

They have them at www.buffaloarmsco.com.

They aint cheap, but at About $2.00 per round, it ain't bad for an obsolete cartridge..A box would probably do ya. How many times you gonna shoot Grandpa's rifle anyway..? A friend of mine owns and hunts with a Rem 14 .30 Rem..

• 4 weeks later...

this may not be as sweet of a gun as some mentioned, but i inherited my grandfathers old Stevens Bolt Action .410. It has the brass tube magazine, will hold 7- 2 1/2 in shells, with one in chamber. this thing is in mint condition, no scrathes, nicks, dings rust pitting anything. I thought when i got it i would put it in the cabinet n keep it safe but last year on a clear dry day i took it out and went out looking for some tree rats. wouldnt you know.......... everyone i saw fell to the ground. that old gun still shoots like its brand new. love it and definatley have the feeling he is right beside me when i get back in the woods with that gun.

• 9 years later...

Picking up on a post years ago by @GreeneHunter, I too inherited a rifle with engraving by "Bennett Gun Works Delmar NY" on the barrel.  Also a Mauser action, apparently built by FN 1950s era.  Appears to be a custom built or modified rifle and Bennett Gun Works is only lead I have on who might have built or modified it.  Anyone with any specific knowledge of this rifle has passed away.  Anyone on this forum familiar with Bennett Gun Works enough to possibly tell me anything about my rifle?  Perhaps confirm that building custom rifles from Mauser actions (or something along those lines) was a normal activity for them?  If so, what reputation they might have had regarding quality workmanship?  Thank you in advance.   

993265762_BennettGunWorksDelmarNY.thumb.jpg.1c48776d79bf5198087793a0561ec92d.jpg

Post WWII, there was an entire cottage industry of sporterizing military rifles.  Mostly Mausers, but also Springfields and all others.  Some of the sporterizing was done more enmass by gunsmiths, including in NYC (Griffin & Howe), but there were also those doing it individually at home.  The quality can range from rough/poor to outright works of art.

1 hour ago, Rob - CPA said:

Picking up on a post years ago by @GreeneHunter, I too inherited a rifle with engraving by "Bennett Gun Works Delmar NY" on the barrel.  Also a Mauser action, apparently built by FN 1950s era.  Appears to be a custom built or modified rifle and Bennett Gun Works is only lead I have on who might have built or modified it.  Anyone with any specific knowledge of this rifle has passed away.  Anyone on this forum familiar with Bennett Gun Works enough to possibly tell me anything about my rifle?  Perhaps confirm that building custom rifles from Mauser actions (or something along those lines) was a normal activity for them?  If so, what reputation they might have had regarding quality workmanship?  Thank you in advance.   

993265762_BennettGunWorksDelmarNY.thumb.jpg.1c48776d79bf5198087793a0561ec92d.jpg

I have my father's rifle that he bought home from WWII, and had built in 1942 by Bennett gun works. Double trigger with the rear trigger being a set trigger. Has some nice engraving too.  I believe its a Mauser action.  

It's not in pristine condition as dad used that rifle a lot. I've taken a few deer with it over the yrs.  

Back in the '80's, my brother took it in to Bennett's. They were glad to see it, and IIRC, one of the owners grandfather was the one who built the rifle.  I think they are closed now, but not sure.  

I  have 3 browning a 5 that were my grandparents . 12,16,20 guage . Also 3 each ithica 37 deerslayers. 12,16,20.  A breach action model 6  in 22 caliber that was my gramps also . Im afraid somebody will sell them outside of the family. The only 2 guns my gramps didn't give me was a  H&R single shot 20 guage he wanted my aunt to have and one of the 30/06 remington 760.

• Like 2

I have lost track of my grandfathers and fathers guns over the years. It is sad to think about at times. Now that I have grand children, and more coming, of my own, I wish even more that I could have those firearms and memories/history. You guys who have these family heirlooms are very fortunate. I have made a conscious effort to keep the special guns, and buy guns that I can leave to my boys and grandkids. Just last night I asked my youngest son if my newest grandson, Matthew (due in May) will prefer a Browning or Beretta 20 gauge, I plan on buying an O/U for him the day he is born. My son jokingly said “I’m not raising any sissy’s, he’s gonna want a Hoyt!” Lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1