new hunters group Long Island

trashman

I am looking to start a group for new hunters to get together and hunt Long Island, upstate, and the tri-state area. Whether on our own or on a guided hunt. This group is for adults of any experience level. Open to hunting any type of game, possibly as a group getting a hunting lease on land upstate. WHat do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, this is a great idea. The new hunters don't have that much idea and don't know where to go. I was thinking to go to Otis Pike Preserve on exit 69 on LIE. However, i don't know the exact location.

This is my first year of hunting, and would highly appreciate a group where we can hunt together. As there is lots of challenge in the woods.

I live in Overton Street, Deer Park, NY. So let me know how we can contact.

I visited otis pike preserve last weekend, and felt like if i can get one or two companion we can hunt together. there is lots of things to learn, and small game hunting can give some experience.

Unfortunately, I'm relatively new as well, and had to learn on my own for the most part. I've been lucky to connect with several other hunters from here and have learned a few things along the way.

Start your own club and hunt together. Learn by your mistakes, carpool so you can save the cost and not go alone. Experiment with different state land, make some contacts and get permission. Get thrown off sometimes. That's how my father and his friends did it and ended up buying 160 acres of their own after a few years

• 4 months later...

I live in Ronkonkoma and have been hiking and hunting Otis Pike a few times this past season. I've seen lots of game of all sorts. Count me in! If you guys check out my other thread on smartphone apps maybe we can test a few while scouting the area. I'm going there this last weekend for a brisk hunt Saturday evening and Sunday Morning gonna try calling a fox.

Buzz

I don't do much small game hunting but... I do hunt deer. I have hunted Otis Pike this past year for the first time and it was a great break from my usual sightings in the ADK... Here is a link to get you started. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/40414.html Getting a bunch of guys together is your first step. You want to make sure you can trust the people you are getting involved with... Go to a rifle range or bow range is a great start... I go to Suffolk Archers and the Ridge rifle range. This way you can first judge the safety of the people you are getting involved with. Where you go for their is up to the crew involved. I have about 4 steady hunters and 5 not so interested hunters that go up to the ADK once a year for a week long hunting trip. This year with Sandy I had one companion for 3 full days out of 12... Snow started after he left and kept coming, only reason I had to leave... NFA Getsome!!! Good Luck Guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of getting together with newer people interested in hunting, If I move back to New York I'd be interested in being part of the group. If I move back to NY i'll be in the Binghamton area, when I travel ack to NY I have a friend that I stay with that lives in Huntington,LI. I did have a lot of places to hunt in Broome, Chenango and Delaware counties. I'm sure getting permission again wouldn't be a problem for both small gsame as well as big game. If I move back there I will be buying a pair of beagles and a couple of bluetick coon dogs.

• 5 months later...

nope im from queens, originally that was my plan. then I found out I couldn't hunt there. now im trying to figure between Otis and rocky point.

had a guy tell me that rocky point gets packed but they have bigger dear there and its smaller so I would get closer shots and my range is only about 15 yards.

said at Otis its more spread out and they have smaller deer their.

so im having a helluva time choosing a LI spot. gonna go out there this weekend.