Hide tanning instructions

crappyice

I'm hoping to make some buckskin this season. It will be my first attempt. if I get a deer early in the season and don't want to start the process until hunting season ends. What do I need to do immediately after harvest? Best storage method until I can begin the process?

Also, this is the site that seems to be most clear for me. An advice or changes you would recommend?

http://www.shanepotter.com/hidetanning.html

Be sure to remove all the red meat and fat off the skin. I lay the skin on a home made strecher board You have to do a good job in removing tissue and fat or hair slip will result. A very sharp knife makes the job a lot easier. I layer non iodine salt on my hides for 12 hours. This kills bacteria and reduces hair slip. Remove the excess salt, roll hide, hair side up and put in a plastic bag. Your hide should now be frozen until ready to complete the tanning process.

Edit: Some people fold the hides to place in a plastic bag. This is ok, but I don't want to take the chance of fold marks. I prefer rolling.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

The latest field and stream mag recommends spraying the hide its raid to kill ticks? Is that a Good idea? Couls tha damage the hide in an way? this tip was part of an article on tanning a hide in a NY apt....after reading about this process and watching a boatload of vids on the process their simplistic approach is absolutely setting people up for disaster

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

So I found a hide in the freezer I started a few seasons back(Mrs Crappy is quite patient!) and decided it is time to finish it. It was already fleshed, soaked and membraned so tonight I wrung it out, stretched it and introduced the dressing of eggs(she drew the line with saving brains for a few years!).

I will wring it again tonight and leave it soak overnight in the eggs.

Tomorrow I hope to start the softening process.

3e456d4acfbf06fe2dc050c5f9f5912c.jpg&key=9a96bf8eb8cab564c8976b026e7e938941099fde426fbe792928d1f4f7a306d2

Best reference

184ebcaf72a7638363c087773549d351.jpg&key=d6b98d10db1f693d6175ef104efa7b625f2e48a2a6eb273356cc883553a93400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Minimal smell and certainly less than that odor from pumping out $10,000,000.00 jerky!

Alas it was probably closer to $15mm+ jerky. And that smell is delicious. Definitely looking forward to keeping up with this thread since I currently have a hide taking up tons of space in my chest freezer waiting for me to do anything with it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Very very disappointed in you Crappy. I would have loved to see a  step by step video of this. Once you get the bugs worked out on this maybe you can do the next one. 

TWO “very’s” wow- you think TOO highly of me!

Not sure....it may end up as a wall covering at my buddy’s place.

When I did this years ago I struggled to sew or stitch through the hide when trying to make moccasins. Ended up punching holes and using leather from a crafts store(cheating!) to lash parts together. Didn’t love that process.

Very cool that your utilizing this part of the animal.  Our local conservation club sells hides to a buyer every year.  It fetches a decent amount when you have a couple hundred hides. Love when the animal is given proper respect, and all parts are used.

• Like 1

So it didn’t come out near as soft as it did in the past but since it will be a wall hanging I am ok with that. For some reason the eggs didn’t soak in well enough(maybe I didn’t scrape it enough before freezing-maybe freezing negatively effects the process?). When I stretched it to scrape and soften it also seemed too damp in spots.
Pics to come after I try to color it through smoke(maybe this weekend).