Live From the Stand 2012

WNYBuckHunter

took a shot at a six point last eve but it was farther than it looked and i had a touch of buck fever and i missed.... and i LOOKED for an hour for blood but didnt find any so im sure i missed o well it was a 200 yrd shot better luck later this week (went down to 13 F last night that should get the deer moving)

Sat from sunrise till now.. Saw zero deer, one squirrel and a bird.. 2 guys walked up on me at about 9 said they took a shot at a yote ran my way but never saw it... There's signs of deer in these woods.. Just can't seem to find the deer... Might be time to find another spot

What a GREAT morning...action from time I got to stand top 9a.m....just got back...I had no wind and 22 degrees when I hit the stand at 5:15...Climbed up and before I could get the harness strapped a doe was doing a "goose step" under my stand...just 4 ft from the bow on it's tow line...It took her forever to clear the area...In the mean time I'm listening to fights. a couple of hundred yards away and a few grunts...got the bow and nocked an arrow to hear a grunt and crunching there was a buck at the scrape...but now there is a new fight and closer so he stands broad side 20yrds away for 15 min before finally coming closer .....Still pretty dark....another doe bursts out of the brush and he turns and heads into the woods...Well it ended up with 6 bucks 3 mature...3 fights I heard and 1 I watched 50yrds away with another buck watching 2 mature doe..both extremely skiddish...3 fawn under the stand and I watched 2 mature buck circle each other like prize fighters in the ring.;...

The bucks pushed the doe around very little ...the mature bucks stayed in the same area and the younger ones all came up past me 60 yrds and traveled deeper into our woods together...leaving the doe with the fawn...lots of squirrel and crow....really great hunt...

Was in the stand from 5:30-9:30 (for better or worse daddy duty trumps rut)...29 quiet and partly cloudy.

As soon as I got in the stand I heard a buck crashing and grunting so iwas on high alert for about an hour before light.

Nothing until about 745 when I caught a glimpse of a tail then a bald head out to my right. After I lost her I kept winding a deer than a minute later I would catch another whiff.

Around 8 she came around front of me at about 65 yards, about 1 minute later a nice buck was on her tail.

I watched the breeding pair play cat and mouse within 80 yards for about 45 minutes never get closer than 50yds. Eventually they headed out of sight and I had to head in shortly after that.

I would say he was locked on right around Charlie's predicted time...back at it Friday morning barring a wife work miracle.

Edited by 7J Everyday

Settled in an ohio treestand. Winds not been kind this week for the property. Only had three days on it but owner let us know we can hunt it all week now. One good buck seen in three days but i had him pegged and he lives due to a miscommunication by a guy who hunted that day too. I had to watch the buck walk past my set....20 yards...while i resigned back to my blind 100 yd across a pond.

In a pinch now with a creek on ne, corn bordering it and behind me. Thicket to s and e. Time to hunt.

Seeing no thoughts to my ?....... I went to another new(this season) stand set...great afternoon light winds...had a young doe come in by herself...again very skiddish...ppl around me must be flinging some arrows...any ways I had her at 10 then drinking...slurping from the pond broadside at 18yrds...but pasted...looking for a tad "meatier" doe or a buck...which I nearly had...but another doe took him away...he came into doe bleats with buck grunts at 4:15...took his merry time ..stopped to rub and scrape and then did a wide circle...he was on a final approach when we both caught sight of a doe headed his way...she didn't see him until she was right on top of him...turned tail and ran for the hills...of course he followed...then two raccoons came in under my stand...I decided to shoot the second one but he was 3yrds out and I shaved his back...hair no blood...another good hunt

Well warmed up...a little bit....ate drank and ready to head back out...37 degrees...heat wave from this morning...the sun will feel good...before I go...what do you think?...hit same general areor venture to a new spot...I don't want to mess up morning hunts there...hhhmmm

i rarely hunt the same stand twice within a few days. but if you have good action and haven't been busted then go for it. there's nothing better than a fresh stand though in my book.

• Like 1

Still here in 9Y, dead still for me, the girlfriend kicked up 2 on the way to her set, same story as yesterday. If something doesn't go down soon I'm gonna be skunked this bow season, for the first time. I know I've been very lucky, still tough to not be frustrated isn't it? Good luck! Let us know if you guys/girls see some action! By the way, 24 is chilly, brr