Outboard motor.

Skillet

I need a small 8hp tiller, for my 12ft Smoker craft.

Trying to decide between Honda and Yamaha.

I've found both motors at dealers not far from me.

Price is comparable.

Which should I choose?

Both are brand new, short shaft, manual start. I'm no gear head, so nothing really stands out to me that would sway me either way. 

Any help appreciated. Thanks. 

You can’t go wrong with either! I would add Suzuki to that same list.if you’re trailering it and not taking it in and off due to the weight I can’t recommend the Suzuki 9.9 efi engine. I have that engine on my boat for a kicker and it has a couple thousand hours on it with zero issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would check the weights and go with whichever is lighter.   My father in law has a 9.9 Honda long shaft, with electric start on his party boat (lake has a 10 hp max limit).  It is ridiculously heavy, compared to the little two-stroke outboards that I am used to carrying up and down the stairs from the lake.

We ended up building a shack for it down on the dock and started leaving it in there for the winter, because it was such a back-breaking chore hauling it up those stairs every fall.  That said, it has been 100% reliable, over three years of service, and runs with very little noise.  
D1634B1F-263D-4380-B87B-7CDF5A0E70FF.thumb.jpeg.be3dcf2357d9128b9419dcb62f2fcaf1.jpeg