How Would You Hunt This Land?

WestchesterBowman

Gents,

I recently signed a 48 acre lease in the Catskills region. I am planning to scout the property the next weekend but I was wondering if I could get some professional advice before we hit the ground. How would you approach this? Can you help me identify some areas that might be good funnels for deer coming through the property? This is my first land lease so it's a little intimidating to have this land to figure out myself. We plan to bow and rifle hunt.

It's mixed timber, there is a logging road that runs through the middle of the property that leads to a small clearing.

Also, is it too late to attempt a small food plot on the property? I know the frost is looming but if I could get something in the ground this weekend would it take root? We have full land rights and the owner is ok with clearing trees to create a plot.

I added a grid to help marking locations easier.

m5PUU.jpg

Cant really give you much good advice about where to hang a stand based on the overhead but being only 48 acres, you should be able to walk the piece and find some sign that will narrow things down a bit. My first reaction is that i would want a set-up just inside that timber that parrallels that open area. One thing i would not do is attempt a food plot. This close to the season, is not the time to be clanging around in the woods. I would hang a couple sets that look and feel right and be prepared to move at any time throughout the season. My climber would be ready for action at any given moment.

looks like a fair piece of property i just took a look and if it was me playing living room decorator i would look at the following

1. the outer area of marsh 1) 1,2,3G followed by 3H and 4i

2. marsh 2) 6 and 7A

3.with a bow the corners of 7i and 8H

the rest of the area looks to have dips draws and what not. get yourself a topomap that will show you the correct elevations and the more dramatic pinch points and also any water rout even if it is only a creek bottom.

imho i would look around the wet(marsh area) for a creek bottom and a nice saddle (point between two hills) for a possible stand set up. best of luck to you.and hope this helped some.

ps. dont worry about a food plot just yet.get in there and do some scouting to see how the land lays and where any deer might get their eats from. worry about food plot's next spring if the property works out for you.

dude, you just advised him on some great spots to hunt on the neighbors property. Pretty sure that will get him a ticket and a fine, not a deer.

if this was in regards to my post i do not understand why? what i listed above are all with in the grid area. i know my eyes are not what they used to be but i can still read a grid lol?from what i see is several key points surrounded by by a grid. if i called the wrong grid then i apologize.

Sorry guys that's my fault. The leased area is inside the red perimeter line. I should have made that clear. The grid is to call out references. Having said that, the borders are not fenced or marked, and we are friendly with land owners on both sides so accessing that land is possible as we have permission but I would prefer to stay on our piece of land if/when possible.

Edited by RITBlake

It appears as if there is a grove of pine (probably hemlocks)growing to the right of the field. In my experience deer tend to bed in them for thermal cover but you have to find out what the rest of the woods are made of.

I think if you got back to that field and threw out some winter rye you may get something growing cuz that stuff grows on concrete. But i wouldnt start chopping up the plot as it may disturb the woods too much.

Also the wind is most likely coming from left to right as you look at the map, generally blowing out of the west during late bow / gun.

The best advice i would give you is go to Bing and put in the address of the property. when the search comes up hit "maps" on the top left and you will get a great over head. Then zoom in as far as you can and hit "birdseye". In this mode you get amazing close ups of the woods and then in the upper right corner around the compass there will be arrows which will allow you to rotate the property view from different angles north, south, east, west. Sometimes you get lucky because some of those satelite photos are in the winter where there are no leaves on the trees and you can see amazing detail.

Try it out and let us know. It will give you incredible insight into the makeup of the property without stepping foot on it.

Edited by agross

i would look at cover break locations for old rubs(maybe new ones as well) ex 3d or 2d,e,f. assuming south /east wind. other cover break area 1 f,g and 2 g on edge of marsh as well (not much in your red area there but worth looking at. a topo would be helpfull in that area as it might show a small bench deer will bed/ travel around marsh. i assume you are planning on using the loggin road as your access, predominat wind should be taken into account in using it..ease of travel yes, but if doing so does your scent blow into bedding areas? north or nw wind it might be ok...

i would definatley focus on 2bc and 3c, by the topo grid. nice shelf, trail comming off a saddle, ridge to marsh 2 and looks to be edge of steep hill. 2 efg will need some foot work as they are larger benches and thickness/edge of cover will be important. as your small field doesnt show at all it is also a coever break/edge stand possibility depending on sign.

• Like 1

lol sorry about that confusion last night. settings on putter where down so i saw nothing but black and grey.now that i can see properly im sorry about that did not mean to give you bad advise.now in that corner of G8 i see a creek that starts in marsh area 1 and ends in your legal hunt area. might be a good place to start poking around. also that logging road runs up inbetween two hills. look into that small bend in that hill G4 just below that small field. just my opinion and good luck to you.