NYC Hunters?!

LorenzoD

• 2 weeks later...

Im a NYC guy that went through the brain damage of getting permits for my long guns, wont even attempt to try for pistol. Overall it wasn't that bad, to many restrictions though.

Apparently if you do get a permit for pistol their is a website where your name will be logged. Technically employers or anyone else who wishes to look up can then do so.

I bought pepper spray for my wife to carry in her purse, found out later it also was illegal.

• 2 weeks later...

its not impossible for a citizen. you just have to follow the steps. yes ofcorse the hunting license would help you and the police department would consider it.

Hello all, I want to get into hunting with a rifle But I live in NYC. As most of you may or may not know, Its impossible to own a firearm in NYC. I was wondering if i got a hunting license would that allow me to purchase a hunting rifle? or would I have to go through the impossible steps to get a permit for a long gun? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

its not impossible for a citizen. you just have to follow the steps. yes ofcorse the hunting license would help you and the police department would consider it.

Faihasan - I believe Lorenzo mentioned he isn't old enough to own a firearm.

#1. gun crimes is at an all time low.

#2. it does give me some bit of piece of mine knwoing that making it harder on me to get a firearm also means it's harder for the criminals and the mentally ill to have a firearm. Is it impossible? Obviously not.

#3. do I think these restrictions are ridiculous? yes. absolutely. I agree with making it harder for criminals and the mentally ill but I think many of the restrictions do nothing to prevent that but rather do nothing more but to deter honest citizens from purchasing firearms.

The worst part is that you have to pay a couple of hundred every few years to renew the permit. Laws are changing too. Now you cant register any guns in NYC that hold more then 5 bullets. I bought a .22 LR and had to sell it because it holds 10 rounds. Its a clown show down here.

Crossbows are illegal in NYC

Hmm...did not know.

Ok, I got confirmation that crossbows are illegal in NYC.

This is not true anymore, though you still might get in trouble. Crossbows are not mentioned at all in the penal code anymore since it became legal to hunt with them two years ago. There is no reference to them being illegal, so technically, they are legal. Of course, since there is no longer a reference to them, and they were illegal for so long....

This information came from the Staten Island DAs office and I also asked it specifically to the DEC bow instructors this year when my sons took their bow hunting class.

TL:DR - You may get arrested, but the charges won't stick.

Yes gun crimes may be at an all time low, however I attribute that more to NYC Police and there efforts such as stop and frisk (currently under review btw).

The regulations and restrictions does nothing to criminals who will go out of state for illegal guns.

The worst part is that you have to pay a couple of hundred every few years to renew the permit. Laws are changing too. Now you cant register any guns in NYC that hold more then 5 bullets. I bought a .22 LR and had to sell it because it holds 10 rounds. Its a clown show down here.

My Ruger 10/22 is originally a 10 round mag but all I had to do was show them I ordered a 5 round mag online.

Btw, my brother is a Court Officer for almost 25 years now. It took him 3 weeks of asking the "right" people to get the answer I listed above from the DAs office. Most people just don't know what the deal is anymore since there is no longer any mention of them, so they assume they are illegal.

Edited by Sogaard

I dont think they are illegal. As far as I know bows, crossbows and muzzleloaders are legal. Muzzleloaders dont even need to be registered.

Correct. Though without a long arms permit, you aren't supposed to have the powder or caps for the MZ in NYC.

Oh, with one stipulation on the xbow. Pistol-like crossbows are still illegal.

Edited by Sogaard

My Ruger 10/22 is originally a 10 round mag but all I had to do was show them I ordered a 5 round mag online.

And then you could have made another order buying fifty 10 round mags, and twenty 30 round mags and they would never know about it. The NYC laws are just a money making scheme for NYC and nothing more. Believe it or not, long gun registration has been in effect since the late 60's in NYC. Just mind boggling how the NRA, or anyone else hasn't challenged the constitutionality of these laws. They only make it hard for the law abiding people to get guns and do JACK to prevent crime. Of course the clowns like Bloomberg and Kelly will tell you that they are stopping criminals. BS! I can't get over Kelly gloating over that terrorist they claim they caught yesterday. Another BS story. They practically spoonfed everything to this guy, and then they think they caught a major terrorist. What BS. The guy would have done $#!+ or gone nearly as far as he did without the help of the FBI, NYPD, etc. All a freaking sham just to once again pat themselves on the back.

Correct. Though without a long arms permit, you aren't supposed to have the powder or caps for the MZ in NYC.

Oh, with one stipulation on the xbow. Pistol-like crossbows are still illegal.

MZs don't need to be registered? Where is this stated.

I bought a marlin which is loaded from the tube on top. I dont know what the actual name would be of that tube but I was told it couldnt be fixed.

Lever-action with a tubular feed. Yes. I always wanted a Henry lever-action and can't get for the same reason.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Raul2145
      Hi Everyone, 
      It is current the last week for regular season in upstate NY. Living the life working and being a full time student, I have some time off this week and would like to take a ride upstate to do a gun hunt. Never have I hunted public land in the areas 3 G, F, or N and was looking for some recommendations and help! I had used the DEC info locator and found California Hill and thought I might go there. Is there any recommendations on areas to go to in any of the wmu’s? Or on California? Any help would be really appreciated!! 

best of holiday wishes! 

• By Alfredo
      Hello,
      I am in the process of purchasing my first rifle to go hunting deer for the first time.  However, I have received contradicting information regarding the types of rifles that are legal.  Based on what I have read, it appears that I am able to use a bolt-action rifle with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine which holds 10 rounds.  However, I have been told that this is not the case. I can't seem to find where this is stated.  Can any one here provide me with some insight into this? I'd really appreciate it.
      Thanks in Advanced,
      Alfredo
    • By huntershoists
      Are you an outdoorsman? Do you hunt frequently? Do you experience the struggles of lifting your deer, elk, bear, or other kill onto your truck, ATV, or Gator? We’d like to interest you in our hunting hoist. My sons and I also had these problems. I created a solution with my portable hoist system. Our simple to use design allows flexibility to your hunt that other hoists can’t compare to. Simply attach our hoist to a tree, tie up the feet, crank the line, and you’re on your way! Check out what other customers had to say at http://huntersportablehoist.webs.com/testimonials where you can also find easy to view tutorials. For more information, please contact me, James Owen, at [email protected].
    • By dbHunterNY
      Not much to post for a reply to keep this from getting buried.  Really just to keep some informed with a meaningful, subject relevant political post. lol  An updated list of legislation that had to due with deer hunting some might find useful.  Anyway, do get your friends together to write into or see your representatives.  if any of these bills mean anything to you, they are your means to make things happen.

Proposed NYS Deer Related Legislation – 2016   
                                               March 17, 2016
      Below is a brief, updated listing of currently proposed NYS Legislation pertaining to white-tailed deer issues.   
      Bill S4727A   Sponsor : Robach                               Assembly A7171A: Worner
      Relates to the illegal taking of deer and provides for increased penalties for illegal taking.  NYS currently has some of the lowest penalties for illegally taken deer. Proposed penalties are significantly greater and more in line with other jurisdictions. 
      Status: In Codes Committee. 3/17/16                       Co-sponsors-Gallivan, Seward, Marchione
      Bill A7583  Sponsor:  Lupardo & Englebright              Senate S5135 
      Relates to extending the authority of DEC to manage white-tail deer and black bear hunting in NYS. This is a periodic reauthorization of deer and bear hunting in NYS.
      Bill A8471  Sponsor: Ortiz
      Relates to the issuance of Deer Management Permits (DMPs) to Disabled Veterans. Need to provide service related disability and own 50 acres of land.  
      Status: In Committee.   3/17/16                          Co-sponsors-Gunther, Colton, Weprin, Hooper
      Bill A5906  
      Relates to a periodic preparation of a Deer Management Plan by NYSDEC
      Comment: The Statewide Deer Management Plan was most recently updated in 2014 and is not due for updating until 2019.  May be reintroduced again this session; previous versions have prescribed deer contraception for Long Island
      Status: Passed both houses last fall. Vetoed by the Governor on Nov 21, 2015.
      Bill S6665   Sponsor:  Akshar
      Authorizes use of Rifles for Big Game hunting (deer and bear) in in Broome, Chenango, Tioga  Counties.  
      Bill S3101  Sponsor:  Richie                                                  Also A1816 by Gunther                                                         
      Relates to landowners who permit recreational access . Amends liability  of landowners who allow recreational use of their lands.  Provides that landowners owe no duty to keep premises safe for entry.
      Status: In Committee 3/17/16                                                                                                               
      Bill A1159 Sponsor: Gunther
      Relates to the right to hunt, fish and trap in NYS and provides for regulation by DEC.
      Status: In Committee 3/17/16                                                             No Companion Senate Bill
      Bill A3742A Sponsor: Gallivan                                                   Also S93A
      Regulates the taking of moose in the same manner of taking deer. 
      Bill S4666  Sponsor: Lavale                                                 Also A6777 by Thiele
      Extends the time period for the taking of deer in Suffolk County from December 31 to March 31.
      Bill S4368 Sponsor: Bonacic                                              Also A4358 by Palmesano  
      Requires the Commissioner of ENCON to promote hunting, fishing and Outdoor Education in High School and Physical Education Courses.
      Bill S92  Sponsor:  Gallivan                                                Also A5492 by Nojay
      Eliminates  the requirement that hunters wear a back tag during the hunting season. 
      Bill S3025 Sponsor: Larkin                                               Also A773 by Gunther
      Provides for Lifetime hunting licenses for Honorably Discharged Disabled Veterans. 

• By Santiago
      Hey there, 

Brand new to this site and was hoping to meet hunting partners in the NYC/Westchester area. 
      I've been only hunting for about 2 years now but its slowly consumed my life. Looking to learn and enjoy the outdoors with others.