Fox Studios

oblivitar

I have not heard of them, but that doesnt mean they arent good. I dont know where you are located but if you are looking at a taxidermy in cold spring then a ride up to Middletown Ny might be worth it. Truelifetaxidermy.com they are a good shop and I have heard many positive things about them. The also have a bunch of taxidermy pieces up on display in the Gander Mountain store in Middletown. That has to say something about their work

I went to Jonas Brothers in Brewster last year. A little over $600 for a shoulder mount and I was a little disappointed. I saw others he did though that were amazing!

Some taxidermists subcontract out work when they get busy, or have better paying work at hand.....can make for inconsistant mounts.

Some taxidermists subcontract out work when they get busy, or have better paying work at hand.....can make for inconsistant mounts.

It may have been my fault as well because they have a 6 month guarantee and after about 7 months I was getting a little antsy and possibly making a few to many inquiries. The job wasn't bad but the form was to small so they cut a strip out of the back of the hide to make it fit. So the neck was much smaller than when I shot the deer and there was a bump where the hide was to big around the nose for the smaller mount. I might be a little to picky because overall its decent and you are going to be looking at the horns anyway.

It may have been my fault as well because they have a 6 month guarantee and after about 7 months I was getting a little antsy and possibly making a few to many inquiries. The job wasn't bad but the form was to small so they cut a strip out of the back of the hide to make it fit. So the neck was much smaller than when I shot the deer and there was a bump where the hide was to big around the nose for the smaller mount. I might be a little to picky because overall its decent and you are going to be looking at the horns anyway.

Wow.....thats totally unacceptable in this day and age. I would be pissed. JMO

Honest I have never heard or seen all that great of work from Pepi. YMMV

My Dad stop using Jonas Brothers about 15 years ago and switched over Kurt Fox.

The woodchuck to the right of the wolf is from 1967, my Dad shot it at 450 yards as a kid. My grandpa told my Dad if he made the shot, he could get it mounted. He put it right through the head.

• 2 weeks later...

I always used Mountain Rest Taxidermy up in the New Paltz area, but I see from his site that he has moved to Kentucky. None the less, he still does work for NY Clients. Joe Milham is the taxidermist and does a great job!

http://mountainresttaxidermy.com/

Just glanced quickly at the website, his prices are significantly cheaper than most others. Hopefully its not the type of place where you "get what you pay for".

I'll stick with Kurt Fox.

• 1 month later...

Vetminater71 what do you feel a lifesize coyote should go for. 800 in my opinion isn't enough for the amount of work one takes to mount

My opinion on lifesize prices:

Coyote & Bobcat & Lynx = $800-$1,000

Fox = $700-$800

Wolf = $2,000 - $2,400

Mt. Lion = $3,200-$3,600

Above prices usually include a decent base (rock or tree), moss(if you want that-I don't), leaves, snow, etc.

Of course, open mouth is always extra.

..... some dont mind dry preserving and slapping it on a form thats just not how I do it.

I'd be guessing that a very large percentage of hunters don't even know what that means, nor do they know thats why prices (and turn around times) can vary so much, especially on basic WT shoulder mounts.