"sightings log"

agross

10-21....Had 2 doe 3 fawn and a 4pt skirt behind me at 24 yrds around 7:45 A.m....THE WIND GUSTED OUT OF THE NORTH AND THE LEAD DOE KNEW SOMETHING WAS UP AND TURNED DIRECTIONS....8:20 A.M. I HAD 2 FAWN RUN PAST MY RT SIDE FROM BEHIND LIKE THEIR TAILS WERE ON FIRE THEN AT 8:50 I HAD 3 MORE FAWNS COME IN FROM THE SAME DIRECTION WALKING AND BROWSING ON BLK BErry brush 16 yrds out..

Sorry ...hit capt. lock...not going back to retype...Oooopppss

Either Moms are with bucks or ppl around me took doe early like I did....They are finishing up the corn field behind me....4 hundred yrds away....probably where they were coming from

10/20 AM Orchard Stand:

8:00AM: 3 large (1 very large) Does came through my rightside shooting lanes at about 40-50yds at a good walking pace.

9:15AM: 3 or 4 Unidentified Deer 100yds below me.

10/21 AM Orchard Stand:

7:00AM: 1 Big Body crept through my rightside lanes @ 30 yards, just a bit too dark (and not legal time).

8:00-8:45AM: 1 Nice-bodied Yearling Buck (either spikes or small Y) meandering 40-50yds to between my 10-11, lots of browsing...made a quick bolt through my lanes on his way to the Orchard never inside 50 yds, though I was drawn.

8:50Am: Yearling finally exited a few minutes prior, as I am relaying the account on "live for the stand" I catch a whiff of tarsal and notice a tic on my hand (very few tics in this particular area). I go to flick the tic and a nice Doe bounds off from directly under me...no idea how long she was there...she stopped at the edge of the overgrown orchard, but eventually exited.

I have hunted this orchard stand 4 mornings this season for 4 hours each and seen 16 deer and missed one (1deer sighted/hour hunted).

Edited by 7J Everyday

4F in town of Edmeston: Had whole weekend off and put in three good sits in two stands. Saturday morning the fog hung on for quite a bit longer than I thought it would. Very damp and still morning. Only saw two come by my stand. Both were fawns and their mommas were out a little further from them.

Saturday evening the wind was kicking up pretty good but the deer were moving a lot better. Had a mixed bag come by my stand consisting mostly of does and fawns. A one horned buck and a 1 1/2 came through sniffing their trail pretty good but were still more interested in eating.

This morning seemed like a beauty of a morning, but the wind was the wrong way so I had to move to a different set-up. I chose to stay on the downwind side of a bedding area just to see if any bucks were checking it out yet. Saw several does and fawns again, but no buck activity at all. I will say that one button buck came almost right under my stand, and his buttons were polished right up just like the big boys.

Pretty enjoyable weekend, but the leaves are still holding out tough. Makes it tough to see activity on other trails so I choose to play it safe and stay on the outside edges until I know where to set up without having the older does wind me.