Waterfowl on Long Island

AaronBlaine

Hey guys i am new to hunting and i live in huntington on long island. I am very interested in going duck and goose hunting on long island and i was curious if anyone would be willing to take me on a goose or duck hunt for my first time. I am a good shot with a shot gun or rifle and i take it very serious i just have no one to show me the ropes. If anyone is interested in helping me out and sharing this amazing sport feel free to send me an email or message! Thanks guys!

The Southshore Waterfowlers are having their waterfowl festival in late Oct., with a rain date in November.It's on their website..I don't know if you're interested, but figured I'd pass it on...

They apparently had their Duck ID course today.. I took it a few years ago and liked it a lot.. You may want to call them to see if they're going to have another one...I am not a member, but met some nice duck hunters at the duck ID course.

I haven't duck hunted in the past few years, but did enjoy some good hunts on Long Island.( One year I hunted almost every weekday during the season). I hope you can team up with a waterfowler...

I hunt alone mostly so I taught myself, including calling so I understand why you'd like to go with someone with experience...I did eventually meet other hunters in the marshes and had some great times, and learned from them too.

I'm by no means an expert, but would be happy to answer any questions that I can...so you can email me if you'd like. and I'll TRY to help you..

hey thanks a lot man i really appreciate the info. My father was a duck hunter but gave up hunting all together. Its a shame we never got to go together. If i was interested in going hunting on long island is there a park i can walk in on foot and hunt duck or goose? I want to utilize the island more since it is so expensive for a younger guy to survive in. I have always been into fly and spin fishing but i have never gone out on a hunt on long island. I went deer hunting last year late in rifle season but was unsuccessful in the means that i didnt get a deer. I did however have an amazing time out in the woods and i think thats what its really all about. If you know of any places i can go for some good waterfowl hunting or tips and tricks on stalking methods calling etc please lemme hear em! I will investigate the southshore waterfowlers and i will get back to you with my findings!

AaronBlaine..I liked the club, I'm just not all that social.. but there were some nice guys and I hope you meet guys to hunt with there...Ask them about the small book "Ducks at a Distance"...I don't think you can get it anymore, but maybe they'll know...( It's on the internet too.. but I used to bring the book, in case I saw some in the area and wasn't sure...).. so check if it's gonna be there again this year..

The festival is on the South Shore, "usually" off Ocean Pkwy east of Jones beach at Cedar (The bay side) It's past Tobay and Gilgo).. I'm not sure where it is this year it was a dollar or two to get in.. so check...I've gone a number of times,.

They even shoot over the water ( it costs a little , but not sure how much).. they have duck boats (they get judged somehow I think).. Vendors (decoys, calls, books other stuff), a raffle, and I have seen local law enforcement there.. so maybe you'll get some questions answered while you're there.. Don't know if your interested in the festival, but figured I'd just let you know.

I CAN help you.. spots( walk in spots too)...etc. I think it's better if we do it by email thru this site...Then you can ask away and if I have an answer I'll forward it to you... Spots..... permits....some town ordinances..

I'll even fill you in on small game spots , if you need to know that too.

I was out today chasing bluefish in my kayak and saw my first migrating duck of the year... This is the time the ducks start coming....The brant also very soon...I used to practice calling this time of year in non hunting spots ( I guess you know that there is NO waterfowl hunting allowed in any waters in Huntington)

I gotta caution you before you email me.. I'm an old guy and I can be pretty wordy, but I'll try to keep it short.. you gotta let me know if I get too much....I won't be insulted.. Also, I'm not on the computer everyday, so if it takes me a day , or so to get back to you that's the reason why.

So think of some questions and fire away ! Remember , I;'m not an expert, but have some experience and knowledge.of waterfowling and have small game hunted on L.I. since the 60's

• Like 1

Hi AaronBlaine,

I too am new to duck and goose hunting, but enjoy it alot.

I did the early goose season and got three an public land with minimal supplies.

Found this link to be very helpful in identification and other tips.

Big learning curve as I am self taught, but well worth the effort and another excuse to

get outdoors.

Can't wait for the duck opener.

I hunt in WNY. Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help you with.

http://www.deltawate...ing/quizzes.php

Edited by Live2Hunt