Pistol ammo accuracy

So I just bought my first pistol last week. Monday I was able to finally shoot it.
My question is I was shooting blazer 115 grain and hornady critical defense.  The blazers shot consistent 5” low at 10 yards while the hornady hit right where I was aiming.

Not used to pistol ammo but is this a common thing?  Not the end of the world just aim higher for my target practice with the blazers.

Edited by Swamp_bucks

Yes , I was loading extreme copper coated bullets for my 10mm and I had flyers galore . Bought some full metal jackets to load and big improvement , find a brand that shoots well from your pistol and stick with it . 

• Like 2

Yes it is fairly common for various brands of ammo to shoot to different points of aim out of handguns because of so many variables with powder brands-charges, bullet styles and weights along with barrel lengths and twists. It is especially disheartening with many of today's compact handguns that most of which do not have adjustable sights. You find a good load that is grouping great but printing high, low or left or right with no easy way bringing the group to the point of aim. Without adjustable sights you have to try out as many brands as possible and hope for something that groups well to where you are actually aiming. I know many of these fixed sight belly guns are made for closeup short ranges where precise shots are really not required but personally I have a hard time warming up to a gun that does not shoot exactly where I want it to.

Al

12 minutes ago, airedale said:

Yes it is fairly common for various brands of ammo to shoot to different points of aim out of handguns because of so many variables with powder brands-charges, bullet styles and weights along with barrel lengths and twists. It is especially disheartening with many of today's compact handguns that most of which do not have adjustable sights. You find a good load that is grouping great but printing high, low or left or right with no easy way bringing the group to the point of aim. Without adjustable sights you have to try out as many brands as possible and hope for something that groups well to where you are actually aiming. I know many of these fixed sight belly guns are made for closeup short ranges where precise shots are really not required but personally I have a hard time warming up to a gun that does not shoot exactly where I want it to.

Al

A good example is mine and the wife’s  38+p ruger lcr’s , 125 grain loads were hitting low . Switched to 158 grainers and they shoot dead on now .  It was a shame as I wanted to use the Remington golden sabers for our self defense loads . 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rob-c said:

A good example is mine and the wife’s  38+p ruger lcr’s , 125 grain loads were hitting low . Switched to 158 grainers and they shoot dead on now .  It was a shame as I wanted to use the Remington golden sabers for our self defense loads . 

I bought some golden sabers 380 for my LCP. Now I fired all manor of ammo through that gun for years , these were plain painful to shoot , I never made it through a full mag without a break !

B64E8F90-D139-4C8F-ACE9-6E3A3CFD5725.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I bought some golden sabers 380 for my LCP. Now I fired all manor of ammo through that gun for years , these were plain painful to shoot , I never made it through a full mag without a break !

Wife and I both liked the sabers and they had great reviews to boot . But we settled on the old FBI load of 158 grain lead hollow points for carry . 

Edited by rob-c

54 minutes ago, Nomad said:

LCPs are know for being ammo finicky. That being said, sometimes it’s the shooter not locking the wrist and stealing energy the pistol needs to cycle correctly. Really important to lock the wrist with those little micro pistols 

My left to right was good once I got used to the gun but the blazer just stayed low.  I’m happy my carry round shoot where I aim. Just wanted to make sure it was a fairly common thing. Still need to shoot it a bunch more before I decide to carry it.

10 hours ago, Waterfowler said:

LCPs are know for being ammo finicky. That being said, sometimes it’s the shooter not locking the wrist and stealing energy the pistol needs to cycle correctly. Really important to lock the wrist with those little micro pistols 

Pistol cycled fine . These were plain painful to my hand  , and I’m not recoil shy . Many find the LCP ,” snappy “ which I never have ,until firing these , I had to look to make sure they weren’t plus P loads or something .

Once I switched to hardball and Ruger APX loads it was like shooting a .22 comparatively.

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1