fly casting

rachunter

Yesterday while out fishing I realized I can't really cast very far with my fly rod. I can get out about 10-20yrds. unless there's nothing behind me which isn't always the case.I find myself roll casting most of the time which cuts the distance.Is there a certain cast for fish from the bank with brush behind you? and what's your average casting distance.

14 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Yesterday while out fishing I realized I can't really cast very far with my fly rod. I can get out about 10-20yrds. unless there's nothing behind me which isn't always the case.I find myself roll casting most of the time which cuts the distance.Is there a certain cast for fish from the bank with brush behind you? and what's your average casting distance.

Sounds like youre doing pretty well with the roll cast to me

• Like 1

No not 20yrds on a roll cast maybe half that. 20yrds if there’s nothing behind me. The creeks I’ve been fishing are about 100-200yrds. Wide and getting in is impossible. The fish I was catching with my spinning rod where out 50yrds. In a back eddy. It’s pouring but tomorrow I’m going to measure my cast again.
937462f2dca5e4b86a59c2eb1e9a571f.jpg
68b4aa02a52b23b600343cdff94eb6c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

What you need is waders and a staff

This.

I would fish all that water at your feet. I've caught as many fish 10 feet from me as I have 40 feet away. 

Even if you cast 50 feet across that water you would have no ability to mend or manage your line. Possibly a wiggle cast, but that would only give you a drift of about three feet in that water before the current takes your line.

I’m no expert but there’s not much you can do when you have brush behind you. It sound like you are doing the best given the situation.

Only other option is to get into the water and cast parallel with the water.

50 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I’m no expert but there’s not much you can do when you have brush behind you. It sound like you are doing the best given the situation.

Only other option is to get into the water and cast parallel with the water.

This!

I too, am far from being even a "good" fly caster. But......have found if I wade in just enough to have an open area behind me for my back cast. I can aim at up stream targets for my limited casting distance. And mend the line coming back to me.

Thanks guys some of the spots the water is over my waders others over my head.I'm heading to a smaller stream tomorrow to try for some brook trout.

It’s also been a cold wet spring I bet that water becomes more wadeable as the season progresses

• Like 1

It’s also been a cold wet spring I bet that water becomes more wadeable as the season progresses

You where right the water has been dropping enough for me to get in some of the creeks.

• Like 1