minimum hunting age

moosemike

My boy is four years old and goes with me alot. If I was to  go with out him he would be very upset. Its in his blood and theres know getting rid of it now. I like PA laws about no age. Of course they need a parent in order to go hunting with.

• 1 year later...

I know we all worry about getting the kids out there before other distractions set in, but I believe that creating a life-long sportsperson (you like that politically correct term? .....lol) involves more than just getting them out hunting. I think too much emphasis is put on slamming a gun in a kid's hands and sending him/her on their way with the impression that the only thing of value in the outdoors is hunting. That creates a far too shallow view of what hunting really is or can be. I believe that the emphasis has to be put on the whole package. That being, camping, hiking, fishing, woods-lore, maybe even some trapping and all other kinds of learning and understanding of what is out there in the natural world. If you can indoctrinate a kid into the appreciation of all activities involving the outdoors and things of nature, there will be no problem having them become a dedicated, life-long hunter regardless of the age. It then becomes a natural follow-on activity as they continue to pursue their appreciation of what a nature-based lifestyle can provide. Hopefully that is something that the parent can have input and a direct effect on.

So getting back to the idea of the original post, I would say to bring him along (if he wants to) even if he's not able to hunt. The experiences and the exposure to a different kind of adventure in a different kind of outdoor place, sure won't do him any harm and it will help cultivate some more of that over-all outdoor experience and appreciation that I mentioned.

• Like 2

Hunting isn't all about carrying a gun and doing the killing... I'm sure your boy would love the experience just because he's there doing it with you... maybe that experience will make him appreciate hunting for what it is really about

• Like 1

I have seen a few cases of a parent determined to make their kids into hunters that resulted in exactly the opposite happening. Usually it was a case of inadequate preparation through other outdoor activities and an over-all general positive portrayal and interest building in nature. Big mistake not to present the whole package. Hunting presented and practiced as an isolated activity seldom has the staying power to last a lifetime.

Doc , I did a paper on something similar to that for a college course . It was on Pop Warner / PeeWee football . Many has-been or never-were football jocks that were dads pushed their kids into football . The kids wanted to do kid stuff but nooooooo . Daddy was going to make them into a rough tough football player . I know at least 3 kids that wouldn't play high school football . They were burned out .

If a kid is interested in hunting , fine , but don't force them into it or make them feel inadequate if they don't show an interest .

Don't push a kid into shooting a 12 ga or high recoil rifle . Most won't do well and may lose interest at an early age . Make sure the gun they use is something they can handle . And , yeah , I know someone on the site will respond that his 6' , 240 pound 12 year old Billy Bob can out hunt and out shoot anyone on here !

Let 'r rip !

Every year, it gets harder and harder to get kids involved in outdoor activities. It's just the way society is evolving, and today it is the video world and the tech hook-ups and such that hold the "cool factor", not tramping around in the woods or hanging out in a swamp or similar things. So the challenge is to inspire that cool-factor in a strong way in kids that are constantly being pulled in other directions. And I know some young parents who get a bit frustrated with the failure to be able to influence their own kids toward hunting. The natural reaction is to try to apply some level of force (just like the example given by Eddie). Bad idea ...... that is a great way to turn the kid off for a lifetime. You're right ..... it doesn't work with football, and it has an even lesser likelihood of working with hunting. I'm sure that it requires a lot more finesse than that .... lol.

My take is that there has to be a lifestyle approach to all of this that begins at a very young age, and indoctrinates kids into all of this as a family activity that the parents are truly interested and active in. Young kids can be sold on nature and human participation in it. It just takes involvement. The natural progression to hunting will come if the proper groundwork has been laid.

There may come a day when nothing outdoors will be able to compete with the techno-trinkets and video stimulants, but I still believe that caught early enough, a lifetime appreciation of nature (and the activities that go along with that) can still be successfully taught. At least it's worth a try.

This is a great thread and you all are making some terrific points. I have 3 kids myself and let me tell you the fascination with the tech world is very strong. I agree with you all that it is best to introduce them to the outdoors at a very early age, however, it is never too late to start. I was introduced to the outdoors at a young age and got my hunting license at age 16, as soon as I was legal. I went hunting a few times but was never successful. Then I joined the military and when I got out, I started the whole family/career thing. Even though I did outdoors stuff such as fishing and hiking, I put hunting on the back burner for over 20 years. Thankfully, my family started their own hunting club upstate and I joined, shooting my first deer at 40 years old. At 41, I got my second buck. Now I have caught the bug again and I am sharing it with my own kids. I take them to a local sportsman club once a week and we shoot .22's. We also started archery this spring and hopefully with enough lessons, we will be proficient bow hunters by fall. All 3 kids have gone camping, fishing, and hiking with us over the years and I am hopeful that it will progress to hunting. My oldest boy tagged along last year now this year he is old enough to hunt with me. If the law changing the hunting age passes, my next oldest will be able to hunt so I guess I will be very busy! I agree with the posts that say you shouldn't force this stuff on them but I would say that you should definitely give them the exposure and try to make it fun.

All I am saying is take a child hunting with you and get them into it gradually . Don't push them into it .

We did a lot of camping when my kids were young and spent a lot of time outdoors . I never pushed hunting on the boys ( 3 ) . Two of them are avid deer hunters now and we often hunt together . I have no regrets of not forcing it on them .

I understand that but the original thread posted by moose didn't state he was going to use a gun. so I gave him another answer relating to using a bow. If he is going to hunt during the regular season, they both can use a bow and hunt.

Edited by splitG2

I took my girls fishing , hiking, & with me when scouting deer & calling turkeys. Never actually took them hunting but they know all the things to look for & understand them, scrapes, rubs, runs , etc.. They have shot guns & bows, but they just never got into the killing part . I don't know why but I never pushed it . I think 12 yrs. old is about right to start if the kid wants too.

My question wasn't directed at you at all. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

:)

I'm asking a general question because my twins turn 12 this summer and I need to know it I should start saving for a crossbow!

Edited by Sogaard