youth hunt

RobC

im with bubba on this one. there are to many variables to tell the difference between a 12ga and 20ga. Anything from barrel length to size shell 2 3/4 or 3" are they on a hill or in a valley is it windy or still? You could go on and on. Shotgun vs rifle thats a different story.

No..... and I have no problem as you see.... stating who the ECO was I took to the spot...no need to lie...you guys must come across a lot of lairs in your life...

I can not believe you guys have been around guns and can't tell the difference in the sound of a 12 vs 20 ga slug gun going off...now if I said a 16 vs 20 ..call me a liar...they are very similar...ppl around here besides me can tell the difference...it's your response that surprises me

Agree: To pinpoint the location of a shot, along with the firarm which produced it is pretty much impossible.

No it's not . With reasonable hearing you can pinpoint where a shot or shots came from .

And there certainly is a different sound coming from a 20 gauge versus a 12 . At a very great distance it would be a but harder to tell .

C'mon, Fast Eddie......Short-barrel 20 ga. with 3" loads and a long-barrel 12 ga. with 2.75" low base ammo: You can tell which is which?....Yeah, right! There are far, far too many variables in the field to claim that one can identify rifle or shotgun and/or caliber or ga. with certainty every time!

I'm glad you were so very specific...because a 3"20ga is what I and several other in the area use...and yep same area...a lot of the guys shoot a12ga 2 3/4.....Told a few ppl about this thread...consensus is a few ppl need hearing aids...lol

Edited by growalot

If you go back and look through threads, you will see a lot who think that daylight to dark is ok. So why not for the youth?

Your an idiot don't go stirng shit with me. I was lieing in bed and it was still dark. If any of you experts out there can tell what kind of gun, how far away the shot was and the direction of the shot from your bed with the windows closed then your a genuis!!

Your an idiot don't go stirng shit with me. I was lieing in bed and it was still dark. If any of you experts out there can tell what kind of gun, how far away the shot was and the direction of the shot from your bed with the windows closed then your a genuis!!

I was not STIRRING shit with you. I don't care whether you were LYING in bed or not. As far as what gun or where, I was agreeing with you. The post you quoted was about shooting before legal hours. Now relax.

Edited by bubba

Now, to a good story about the youth hunt. My friend's daughter has been anxious to shoot a deer for a couple years now, but she was not old enough to be anything but an observer until this youth hunt came up. She is fifteen and an active outdoors woman enjoying fishing, small game hunting, camping, and lots of shooting.

Yesterday morning she sat through the rain and cold, windy weather all for naught. She was chilly and frustrated, still full of hope. Yesterday afternoon, I invited her up to hunt in my area because her dad had to work. She jumped at the opportunity and we enjoyed much nicer weather and a lot more action.

We were set up on a field edge of cut corn that I knew deer were already feeding on before dark. She had a forked branch stuck in the ground for a shooting stick and was all ready for a shot. She was really wanting to shoot a buck because her older brother has gotten one his first two years of deer hunting. But, no way she was going to pass up a doe if it came right down to shooting or not shooting.

By 4:00 we already had several does, fawns and a couple small bucks in the field and she was a bag of nerves because they were close to 300 yards away from us and feeding parallel to us. I told her we had lots of time and there were more deer in the area. Sure enough, a nice, young spike came out at a little under 100 yards offering a beutiful shot.

Unfortunately, buck fever set in pretty bad, and she just couldn't seem to calm down enough to hold the scope steady. I got her to breathe deep through her nose a few times and she was able to get her breathing under control. By now the buck is quite a bit further away and she doesn't know if she can still hit it. I reminded her that we were not trying to hit it, she was going to drop it. I ranged it at 160 yards and told her all was well with her shot and to just hold right where she wanted to hit. A couple minutes later he turned broadside, and I told her to take the shot when she was rock steady. It wasn't more than a couple seconds and the rifle went off and the buck dropped where he stood.

I had to keep her there for a few minutes while I explained to her about making sure the deer was down for good, and then, that the gun was empty and the bolt open. That is just one of my personal rules. I like to know without a doubt whether a gun is safe or not.

We got up to the deer and she was just a jumping up and down. It sure did me good to see a hunter showing the sheer joy of getting a buck. I did most of the field dressing, but she did get bloodied up helping. Then the 1/2 mile drag started. We made it, and I sure was glad she was there to help.

This was done in 4F in the town of Edmeston. She used an old .270 Remington with a Simmonds Pro hunter scope(I think that is what it said. ) Perfect high shoulder shot just like she saw in the hunting shows and the deer never took a step. She couldn't thank me enough for getting her a shot, but I feel I was the real winner here because in this day and age you just don't get many opportunities to see such pure joy in anyones face like I got to see. Thanks for reading, and i apologize for not having a picture to post.

• Like 2

I went over to camp around 6pm. I heard three shots one was a semi remington 742 in 30-06. the second was an encore 7-08 26 inch barrel and the third was a ruger m77 308. All were exactly 157 yards from me due east. Damn kids.

• Like 2