Youth Hunt success!! Buck Down.

Shadd Rapp

Took my 14 Year old son out for the youth hunt. Saturday did an evening hunt due to him having a football game in the morning. Sat until dark with no sightings.

Went down to a friend's place in Tioga county on Sunday, 4 am wake up long drive and we got there about 6:15 am. One of two four wheelers would not start! My friend had another 15 year old with him, so I drove them up the hill to their spot and by the time we got to our blind it was 6:58 am. Got in the blind and saw NOTHING til about 10:30 am. 3 Jake turkeys go by at about 6 yrds and that pumped my son up.

Then about 10:50 am I hear a twig snap behind me. I look out the blind and a buck is coming down the hill towards the blind. My son and I have to switch sides in the blind. My son looks out and sees the buck but has no shot. He waits and ends up losing the buck in the thick brush. I calm him down and find the buck in my binos standing broadside at about 60 yards looking hard at the blind. My son finally finds him and shoots. The buck goes down in a pile, rolls down the hill and is done.

It was his first deer and the first kill with my new Howa in .270. I still cannot wipe the smiling off his face! I am pretty proud too. The deer died on top of a shed that I grabbed. Now I am looking for that deer.

post-345-0-94431100-1349712879_thumb.jpg

post-345-0-94719700-1349712889_thumb.jpg

• Like 3