Blaser slide bolt rifles

Is this the one with interchangeable barrels?  I think there is a newer version out right now also.  They are european guns, so they are without a doubt expensive compared to American made production guns.  I don't know how low he will sell it to you for, but that would surely be the determining factor whether I would ever buy it or not.  I'm sure it would be a good gun, but accuracy wise probably no better than most American guns that could be bought for a lot less.  I guess it all depends on what one likes.

Yes for quite some time ;)

R-93 in 300RUM, 8x57 IS, 270 WIN, 28ga shotgun.

IMG_1408.jpg

Opening day of squirrel this year.

IMG_1416.jpg

As a 270 Win

IMG_0708.jpg

As a 300RUM

DSC00157.jpg

Some might say they are one of the most accurate rifles made. Even after reassembly I do not change scope settings.

Be warned they are kind of addicting....and new parts can be pricey. However there are lots of used items on the market that are often in very good condition. Barrel steel is the hardest in the industry making them very difficult to burn out.

If you care to PM me I can easily tell you if the price is good or not and put you to a web-site devoted to just ordinary guys who shoot Blasers. I post there often ;D

Is this the one with interchangeable barrels?  I think there is a newer version out right now also.  They are european guns, so they are without a doubt expensive compared to American made production guns.  I don't know how low he will sell it to you for, but that would surely be the determining factor whether I would ever buy it or not.  I'm sure it would be a good gun, but accuracy wise probably no better than most American guns that could be bought for a lot less.  I guess it all depends on what one likes.

The newer version is an R-8......the R-93 is still being produced as well as barrels and kit for such. All the scope bases are interchangable between every Blaser ever made.

The newer gun has a slightly different bolt head to accomodate 458 Lott and 416 Rigby brass and pressures. New barrels will NOT be interchangable with older recievers. Same concept, different gun.

If you travel they are an outstanding way to transport and carry a rifle. They also happen to be very light and are shorter by 4" than any conventional bolt rifle. They have no floor plate and the magazine sits over the top of the trigger group; eliminating the mag well length.

In addition they are the safest gun to carry with a round in the chamber. The firing pin is cocked on applying the saftey to a firing position. During carry; there is no compression of the firing pin spring to strike a primer, rendering the trigger with out any tension in its parts. This makes the saftey firmer than the normal flick on conventional bolt guns.

This video has 3 switch barrel guns....Blaser, a Mauser M03, and a Sauer 202. Here in slow motion you can see the operation of the bolt and such.....

The first shot on the fox is an R93 with the short Tracker barrel in an Professional stock(their composite) I think its a 300win mag.

Dinsdale, you are obviously a big fan.  You practically posted and infomercial for them here.  I don't think we doubt that they will kill game, but when I could practically buy two perfectly fine American made rifles along with scopes for the price of an extra Blaser barrel, I don't know how much of an advantage it would be to own a Blaser.  Since you posted a video of African hunting, I would still bet that more game is taken over there with the more traditional Mauser, Winchester, Remington type actions than there is with Blaser guns.

Dinsdale, you are obviously a big fan.  You practically posted and infomercial for them here.  I don't think we doubt that they will kill game, but when I could practically buy two perfectly fine American made rifles along with scopes for the price of an extra Blaser barrel, I don't know how much of an advantage it would be to own a Blaser.  Since you posted a video of African hunting, I would still bet that more game is taken over there with the more traditional Mauser, Winchester, Remington type actions than there is with Blaser guns.

Some guys like Remingtons/Savage/Winchester etc

Others Chevy/Ford/Toyota

No one is telling you to buy one. And I'm certainly a fan, and not embarassed to say so....just as others will be fans of other makes.They have a small following here in N America and I'm just trying to help out a guy who needs some info....both vids show fairly well operation characteristics of the actions.(and I think they are damn cool to watch too! love the 2 buff in 2 minutes one)

Lots of choices out there and as both a Ford Focus or a Carmry can get some groceries, one can place a value judgement as to which one fits their task.(I had a Focus but can appreciate a ride in something else if thats what spins your propeller).

I like the light, compact travel, and accuracy. I get the choice of around 40 calibers from 17HMR to a 416 Rem and have the exact same trigger pull, feel, and operation. Sorry if you feel that is some how an infomercial...just stating why I like them.....nothing more. I wasn't aware that posting a few photos of game I recently shot or a video was somehow over my limit. Just think if I posted more...the horror of having to view another hunters success. Wait til you hear I have shot animals at over 400 yds ??? 

I also own some "American guns", mostly custom....but if it makes you feel better they shoot good too.

I have to think more when I use them as I happen to use the Blaser more for everything.

CulverCreek....Have done a couple trips to Africa and a few other places (first in 2005). I wished this rifle had frequent flier miles. ;D I sold her to a friend who needed a second gun for some travel this summer with the condition I could buy her back. She did good again and went around the world....NY,LA, hunted NZ,Aus,Africa,back to NY and the only bad part........ was I didn't go with her. :-[

Atleast we get to try NM for a crack at Muledeer this fall :)

SW Muleys... that one is on my bucket list too....hope to see a few pics here when you get back. Thansk for all the insight on the Blasers. That is the nice thing about these forums...bound to run across a few that have first hand knowledge rather than hear say.

I like the versatility of the gun...onw big reason why I went with an Encore muzzleloader....keeping options open

Thanks again

Whatever, bud!!  Most people don't post glossy photos of their weapons and give us their complete resumes like you like to.  Some of us buy the plain jane American guns and are happy with them and can kill game with them just the same or better than you can.  It's nice to know that you do own some American guns, but of course YOUR'S are mostly "custom".  LOL

You like to play that "buy American " card, huh? Like that makes you a bigger patriot than anyone else. ::D

You may wish to research who actually owns the companies you are espousing.

Hmmm...I like nice guns and to travel, guess a middle-class kid who grew up in Buffalo can't do those things. Jeeze I bang nails for a living too.....yep, just a carpenter for about 20 years. Sorry that is somehow irritating to you.

Can you teach me how to kill something more dead like you do? Please?

And I own a camera! Will the injustice never end! Guess I can't go to Best Buy with out ruffling a few feathers either....oh dear.

A humble gray squirrel and a deer...didn't know you would consider that resume building...guess I have to dumb it down for you in the future.

Cheers.

Look bud, I don't consider myself more of a patriot or any such nonsense.  I surely own foreign made products and have no problem with that.  We all own cameras and maybe some of us hunted different locals BEFORE you ever did.  The difference is that we don't post pictures, videos or brag about any of it and claim that the products we buy are somehow better than anyone else's like you did in the other thread where you posted the video that claimed expensive europeans rifles are less likely to blow up than American rifles if the barrel would become plugged.  I don't care what you want to shoot and how much you want to spend for it.  My first reply here was to Culver on what I would do in his shoes, and YOU somehow took the liberty to give me all the details and attributes of your Blaser.  I can easily look up what the going price of these guns is.  I say they are way overpriced for what you are getting, but of course it's your money and ego, so do whatever you wish. 

Dinsdale...Good luck on your muley hunt this year.. Please keep us posted on the results and details..

I have read about the Blasers for a number of years on the forums...

Definitely a high quality, accurate, and functional firearms system...

The walnut on your rifle is GORGEOUS, but being a fan of classic bolt actions, ( read MAUSER) the action would take me a little getting used to... ;) ....

Thanks for sharing the info.. I believe that is what the original poster was asking for...

Yes;it does take some getting used to.

I find it easier to transition from bolt to strait pull than the other way in general.With a little solid practice before a hunt,as I do anyway, that seems to get me good to go. I shoot year round with a little of everything, that seems to help keep muscle memory fresh. I'm a big believer in snap cap practice year round also.

As for the Mule Deer...I have an unguided hunt with a private landowner tag on 18,000 acres (12,000 private/6000 public).It has been scouted and will continue to be, until we show up, by the ranch manager; so we won't be totally cold going in. Most deer run in the 150's typical 4x4's, but not the huge spreads seen elsewhere....maybe 24-26". More a glassing hunt planning for a stalk, than stand hunting. I like that style of hunting best, so this happens to suite me well.

One fellow has been trying for a few years on public land, so I'm hoping we can get him a deer first. That's my goal anyway.LOL

Hoping Diana smiles on him just for a few days anyway. ;D

• 1 month later...

Friend took his first  Muledeer on opening day, after several times trying for the last 10 years; nice 4x4 ;D

I took this one on day three with the R93 in 270 win and a Swaro 3-12......

IMG_1544.jpg

Fun hunt with many bucks seen and pretty country;

IMG_1514.jpg

Putting in for tags again next year for deer near here and for Elk north of this area up in the pines.....

Cheers

Sounds Great!  SxS 30-06 is my rifle.  Had a nice Rizzini 30-06 O/U but like the SxS better.  Have a couple of nice Merkel SxS shotguns.  The Arrieta 20 gauge is my pride though.  I also like the Ugartechea's and the Parker Repro 28 gauge DHE 2 bbl set.  Had to sell the Bernadelli's.  Couldn't hit anything with them as they don't fit me well.

Never owned a Blazer rifle.  I tend to collect SxS shotguns and Superposed O/U's so most of my funds are funneled in that direction.

I'll have to check them out some more now though.

Good stuff!

I hunted for whitetails here with a Merkel double in 9.3x74; had a nice claw mount setup from NEGC. Was a friends that was "on loan" while he was stationed overseas for a few years. Took a few does with it, but never a big buck :P

In your travels I'm looking for a Merkel/Sauer/German Guild SxS in 16ga as a donor....box lock or sidelock; either is fine. Dented/bent/bulged barrels OK and could even be off face. I just need the action and lock as I want to build a 22 Hornet double off the action.

I have the barrels and am looking around for a suitable donor, prefer a German action for stronger proof marks as typical. I am going to restock it so wood is also not an issue but would like all the hardware to be intact for the fore end.

If you spot anything I would be greatly appreciative of any heads up.....

Best of luck shooting!

• 5 weeks later...