Looking into a treestand

dirt_a_KISS

i was wondering i could get some help my decision on getting a tree stand. I will not be getting the Guido web this year, most likely next year. I am deciding over to get a hang on or a climber tree stand. My hunting takes place on state land.(i do both gun and bow) I was wondering what would be better suited for me a hang on or a climber. Also what are the advantages and disadvantages that come with them. My price limit will be 200 if that helps to.

State game land you want a climber so you can take it in and out with you. That being said a good light climber is going to cost you some $$$$$ I would love to get one of those nice light lone wolf stands but I just can't afford it so I got a cheap solid one from sportsmans guide and lug it in. Usually end up being a sweaty mess!

yeah the lone wolfs look amazing, it just the price of them are expensive i think. But i have been looking into the ol' man, gorillas, and the summits tree stands. Not sure though i just want to know what is harder to do though a climber, what if there is a branch in the way etc. but with a hang on it could be a pain setting each latter up individually.

While climbers are limited to straight tree without many branches, I love the flexibility the offer. By the time I am at my tree, I'm up with bow in hand in fifteen minutes. I know there are some threads out there now talking about how nervous people are with them. I just don't see/feel it. It does take some getting used to so plan on spending some time pre-season climbing only a few feet off the ground to see what it feels like to tie it in, screw in your hooks, test your bow holders. There's a lot to do on that limited size platform but once you are comfortable, I feel totally safe

Ive used both. My stand of preference is a lock on with those 3 step section climbing sticks, 3 sections and your stand strapped together and there isn't a tree you cant get into in the woods, relatively easy to set up, On state land i always pull the bottom 2 climbing stick sections and leave the third up with the stand haven't had one stolen after switching to that style of climbing sticks, But really i don't care how many limbs or how crooked the tree you can get into it with that set up, bass pro has them and a stand you should easily stay under the 200.00 mark, Ive got 5 sets and i can be up and hunting in about 10 mins. All my buddies that hunt with me have changed to this set up as well they love it, Its taken 18 yrs of hunting to come up with this set up and i dont think i will ever change, By the way Dicks has tree stands cheaper than Bass Pro and the climbing sticks at bass pro are better than the ones at dicks, jmho. In Auburn the 2 stores are across the street from one another lol

a few of my friend have summits. I have a gorilla expedition it is a little on the heavy side but easy to use. I bought it 2 years ago thinking I would increase my chances of not getting caught by deer as much . I have not used it yet lol. alot of the area i hunt are very thick and the trees are too thin. I believe you need an 8" diameter tree for climbers to be safe and sturdy. I could be wrong good luck

the weight and price sportsmans guide has some climbers for $89 and combo sticks hang on from $59- 89 15' some 20' side note a friend gave me su mmit climber the top rails were bent [seat] i strightened them out seems ok [ if i fall he wont be a friend any more haha] also comfort factor your sitting in this thing for 6 hrs you have bring everthing w/ you cant climb up an down w/ a climber at less w/ the combo set up you can climb in and and it portable too take w/ you end of day

sometimes you can find a used summit on craigs list for fair prices.I got mine for 120.Its the bushwacker with out the shooting rail.Great tool for archery hunting.Get some good carrying straps.Like the millitary MOLLI pack straps of ebay for around 35.00.I just took the straps off a hiking pack i had and modified them to fit.I can now carry my summit for a long haul without it killing my shoulders.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Francesco B
      Hello everyone I’m currently looking at a house in deposit ny I’ve been deer hunting for many year mainly in Columbia and Greene county never been to Broome county. Before anything I was just curious how is the hunting there ? I know there aren’t any antlered restrictions in Broome but are there monsters out there or is it mainly just small spike? If anyone from that county or knows about deposit and broome county would get back to me i would appreciate it. Hope everyone hunting today catch a big one thanks.
    • By Ainsley Ash
      The procedure below to carry the bow is detailed below:
      You have to use a cotton towel or something similar. You have to wrap it around the bowstring. Doing so ensures that it will not cause an injury with the bowstring coming in contact with your body. It will not be that sharp either. Once you cover the bowstring with the towel, you have to wear it like a sling. So that it will not fall away from your body. The best way to cover the bowstring is to use a large enough towel. You can wrap it around twice as well. When making a sling out of the cotton towel, you have to ensure that you tighten it to get a snug fit. In that case, it will not slip away. Consequently, it will remain in place. When using this technique to carry a bow on your back, it is essential to practice before going in the wilderness. Only when you can move briskly and without noise using the scanning mechanism should you go ahead with it. To remove the bow, you have to hold it at the bottom. After that, you have to slip it over your head as well as arm. Doing so ensures that you can remove it quickly. When trying to focus on a prey, you need to remove the bow quickly. The technique for removal that we have highlighted above can certainly help you do so.
    • By JDN2K
      Just want to relay an experience I had this weekend regarding hunting regulations and other hunters.
      I've had several  hunter's tell me last weekend(10/12/2020) that muzzleloader was open, it is not. I also had two other hunters last weekend confront me as to why my son was carrying around a rifle and hunting deer. I calmly explained the youth weekend and the rules around it. After that everything was cool and we continued our hunt.
      I know at the end of the day we're all trying to participate in a sport we love and maybe harvest some game. My thought is to just make sure you're up on your local hunting regulations. Not just so you are within the rules, but also so you can assert your right to be where you are, hunting the way you're hunting.
      I know when I have been operating outside of the regulations I have appreciated a person respectfully correcting my ignorance and I try to pay it forward by being informed and respectfully educating when required.
      Thanks for listening, off my SB...
    • By BuckSteady
      New hunter to NY here. Found some public land to hunt, it’s a WMA. I wish I read the regs more thoroughly because I threw up a ladder stand yesterday and today when I was re-reading them, I saw you can’t put temporary stands on WMAs, only on state forests and other such state land. I honestly didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to, I even put my name and license # on the stand. I was going to go take it down tomorrow but it’s an hour drive so I wanted to ask, what do DEC officers do if they find a ladderstand like mine on a WMA? Is this an automatic fine or whatever? Will they just call me and tell me to come get it? Confiscate? How often do officers go through areas like WMAs and check for stands? Any info would be helpful. I’ll still probably go take it down tomorrow, although I have seen other stands up on the WMA, I just prefer to stay on the right side of the law myself. Thanks!
    • By Alfredo
      Hello,
      I am in the process of purchasing my first rifle to go hunting deer for the first time.  However, I have received contradicting information regarding the types of rifles that are legal.  Based on what I have read, it appears that I am able to use a bolt-action rifle with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine which holds 10 rounds.  However, I have been told that this is not the case. I can't seem to find where this is stated.  Can any one here provide me with some insight into this? I'd really appreciate it.
      Thanks in Advanced,
      Alfredo