pistol permit process

It really is easier for a criminal to get a gun that a law abiding person.

It really seems that way. If more law abiding citizens weren't in the frame of mind that guns are bad I don't think we would have that problem. Guns aren't bad the criminals that get all negative publicity for guns are. Guns with their proper use and handling are no more dangerous than any other tools. That is what they are a tool and with proper treatment they can be very useful and bring an entire family together for a day at the range or a day in the woods. But what is interesting about family bonding the media would rather release negative reports on guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

LMAO, so you want the gun for home defense purposes, but are going to keep it unloaded, in a locked safe with a trigger lock, and the ammo in a separate locked box. Makes total sense!

Criminals here in the city are a lot more civilized than their upstate counterparts. They'll wait for you to grab your pistol and reload out of the spirit of sportsmanship so long as you say "please".

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 4

Nassau County

$200 App fee

$ 96 Fingerprint fee

Applied Nov. 2011, had interview and fingerprinting on Oct.15 2012. Now I am waiting for approval, my guess Feb. 2013. About a 15 month process. The question I was asked at interview was where do I intend to keep my pistol. (Gun safe in my bedroom).

LMAO, so you want the gun for home defense purposes, but are going to keep it unloaded, in a locked safe with a trigger lock, and the ammo in a separate locked box. Makes total sense!

Well when you'r home there is nothing saying you can't walk around with it on your hip, or keep it loaded on your night stand.

If I am not home I want my guns locked up anyway.

Mine cost me $35 and had it from Herkimer County in 3 months with no basic pistol course requirement or interview. As you've likely guessed, I got it quite a while ago, 1989. And believe it or not, I've responsibly handled my handguns all these years without incident as have numerous other folks that got them awhile ago. So why is all the extra stuff/cost necessary today?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In Albany Co it took me 14 months start to finish and 100 bucks plus. A few years ago I sent a letter to the judge asking for restrictions to be removed . He granted me along with hunting and target to carry hiking and camping as stamped on my amendment.

I was told on the paper work that states to use blue or black ink , if you don't use the proper color you could be denied for not following directions. Not sure if its true or not.

It is true... black ink only.

I got a question, if i would get my permit and say buy a handgun i saw in the swapper (have to show permit too purchase of course) would i have to register that gun as being on my permit or is the permit applicable for ALL handguns that i ever buy without adding them to some "LIST" in albany... of course is gonna be a few yrs before i can get mine which really stinks but oh well at least i can look forward too getting it someday...

It is illegal to possess a handgun not registered on your permit. You can register someone else handgun on your permit so you both can legally carry it but if you are caught carrying a handgun not registered on your permit you will be in violation of the law.

Edited by noahmstone

Yes as far I know my county also allows you to buy with a purchase coupon and register it later. The purchase coupon is the one exception of carrying a handgun not registered on your permit. But the way I understood the question was can someone legally buy a pistol and never register it on their permit.

In my county you go to the county clerks office where you got your pistol permit application from and purchase a purchase coupon and bring it with you when you go to buy a pistol. The counties in NYS are inconsistent so you will have to look into your local regulations before purchase.

Edited by noahmstone

what i meant was would a permit cover any handgun someone buys or just ones registered too it and is it required to register it... i was not sure how it works... im NOT trying to advocate buying handguns and not registering them!!!! im just wanting to find out how our state system works...

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the county clerk's office today to check on the status of my pistol permit today 1/22/13. Clerk informed me that I had been approved within the last couple weeks and someone had overlooked it or forgot to mail me my approval letter. So 9 months and 4 days until approved for me in Franklin County. Going back tomorrow to

Put my colt woodsman .22 and my father in laws 1911 on and obtain my actual permit.

Edited by noahmstone

Nassau County

$200 App fee

$ 96 Fingerprint fee

Applied Nov. 2011, had interview and fingerprinting on Oct.15 2012. Now I am waiting for approval, my guess Feb. 2013. About a 15 month process. The question I was asked at interview was where do I intend to keep my pistol. (Gun safe in my bedroom).

Just thought I would update my post. Upon checking my paperwork, I realized my initial applicatiion was Feb. 2012(not November '12) I am still waiting for my approval. It will be one year in another 2 weeks. My buddy was at the pistol permit office last week and said the line was 2 hrs long. This process is lengthy and cruel.

Back when I went for me first ccp here in Pa,we would walk in the courthouse WITH the pistol and they would run the background check,then log your pistol after you got the ok...all in a matter of a few minutes.

Then a few years down the road,it changed to do NOT bring any pistols or ANY weapons what so ever with you to the courthouse.Just come in,get a form,which now can be printed online,fill it out,take it to the courthouse,the Sheriffs office runs a background check,if you have been a good boy,you get it right there.

http://www.luzernecounty.org/uploads/images/assets/county/row_offices/sheriff/GUN%20PERMIT%20APPLICATION%202013.pdf