Doe in heat already?

sampotter

I remember a while back watching some deer, at night. It was mid Sept. and a six point, maybe 2 or 3 year old deer, kept trying to mount a doe, while 3 other does and a smaller buck just kept on feeding. Who can figure these things out??

I see a doe walk by the camera and then a buck look towards the camera and trot away. If you had that buck up the deers backside then I would be more content on saying yeah maybe. This does not mean the doe is in heat either, could be the buck is starting to get excited and the doe having no interest. Just not enough evidence in the video for me to think the heat is on. I had real early scraping activity this year, then it went dry. Just yesterday I started seeing scraping again here in the northern zone and having a camp down souther tier and live in northern it seems the rut is always earlier in the north than the south. Interesting none the less. You could have an early doe or you could have nothing but a buck and doe on camera. Not enough to judge for this hunter.

I see a doe walk by the camera and then a buck look towards the camera and trot away. If you had that buck up the deers backside then I would be more content on saying yeah maybe. This does not mean the doe is in heat either, could be the buck is starting to get excited and the doe having no interest. Just not enough evidence in the video for me to think the heat is on. I had real early scraping activity this year, then it went dry. Just yesterday I started seeing scraping again here in the northern zone and having a camp down souther tier and live in northern it seems the rut is always earlier in the north than the south. Interesting none the less. You could have an early doe or you could have nothing but a buck and doe on camera. Not enough to judge for this hunter.

I've watched bucks dogging hot does more than a few times- this is definitely what was going on here. When I watched the video for the 1st time I saw the doe trot across with her tail out like that and I knew without a doubt that there would be a buck not far behind. It was more of a surprise as far as which buck it was rather than if a buck was coming. Does don't trot around like that when they are not interested. Sure the timing seems wrong but there is no mistaking what is going on in that clip.

I've watched bucks dogging hot does more than a few times- this is definitely what was going on here. When I watched the video for the 1st time I saw the doe trot across with her tail out like that and I knew without a doubt that there would be a buck not far behind. It was more of a surprise as far as which buck it was rather than if a buck was coming. Does don't trot around like that when they are not interested. Sure the timing seems wrong but there is no mistaking what is going on in that clip.

I agree... That buck is no stupid whorney little 1 1/2 year old either! There's definately something brewing there!

Had 2 bucks chasing a doe and 2 fawns around me last saturday. She wanted nothing to do with them and they stayed around till they winded me. I cant seem to find it but the DEC has a chart out there somewhere that shows that doe are breed anywhere from Oct - Feb peaking the 2nd week of Nov. They measure the fetuses of car killed doe and can tell from that.

When I watched the video for the 1st time I saw the doe trot across with her tail out like that and I knew without a doubt that there would be a buck not far behind. Does don't trot around like that when they are not interested.

That was the first thing I thought when I seen your video.

I'm thinking this is an isolated scenario..? Maybe she triggered off this last full moon? The # of days after the full moon are right if you go by Alsheimer's predictions but maybe she just jumped the gun...

Bell curve...10% are early...80% are normal...10% are late.

October to Jan range for potential breeding in wNY. She might not be super close to ready...just starting to come into estrous...so could be a few days away yet being an early one probably had that buck's attention real fast.

Early ones tend to be early through their life from what I understand. Same deal with bucks shedding their antlers...unless there is an environmental impact, once a buck matures, he generally sheds within the same 3 day period or so each year from there on out.

if you guys look at the graphs of all the studies done about does going into heat... you will see there is a little spike in the graph this time of season before the main rut then another spike at the end of the season. some of the mature does will go into heat this time of year. ive seen it before out hunting as well.