Too Early For Fawns?!?

DirtTime

It was cool seeing those tracks. I'd guesstimate the tracks being from last night. It never really dries up completely in this spot, but over the past 3 years hunting the area I know that any tracks usually get a bit crusty around the edges after a day, and these weren't.

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Take a picture with something to compare them to.   Like a quarter, dollar bill folded in half or your favorite a flint & steel.   

I probably won't be back over to that area until Saturday. I'll check around for any new tracks and see about getting a pic with size comparison.

Here's the pic I took today.

fawnalready.jpg.9bd7df4a4ab5b153b12018e536259302.jpg

fawnalready2.jpg.f1ecfb415afe99ff49a17b9c305aad1b.jpg

The smaller track was just a bit bigger than a half dollar.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 4:33 PM, DirtTime said:

I know some doe will get bred early, so the cycle will be earlier. I just haven't come across tracks or seen fawns much before mid June.

208 days or so prior would put her bred in 2nd or 3rd week in October. not uncommon, just earlier estrous doe is all. by mid november your at or past peak every season give or take a week. that's why you typically notice them mid june.

6 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

96D10E53-7CD1-4CA8-A588-D03E08CD210C.thumb.jpeg.e7848ee3994249152cad796fd82b317e.jpegFound this Saturday morning while turkey hunting 

fawn drop is a trickle right now. best bi-product of a fast and heavy rut/breeding season is tons of fawns dropping close to the same time to where predators can only get to so many fast enough.

16 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

If this was a predator kill, nothing would have been left

It depends on some things.  Predators have a drive to survive and if they didn't like the set up they would escape and come back the next night. With entrails out I would suspect it's predation 

• Like 1