Picked up a piece of art for my birthday.

left field

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

WTF ,it looks like something my son brings home from school every day. Art people are a unique breed.Congrats on the new painting.

Your kid is obviously a genius.

Twenty-Three Colors of Dirt

Jimmy Lee Sudduth was a prominent and beloved self-taught artist, often regarded as among the great Southern outsider/folk artists of the 20th century. Sudduth was the son of a medicine woman and would accompany his mother into the woods, searching for berries and herbs; it was on these walks that he began drawing on trees with mud and sticks. 

"Brushes wear out and my fingers don't. When I die, the brush dies too."

He’d return the next day to see that the drawings had washed away until, by happenstance, he mixed the mud with a little syrup and found that this "sweet mud," helped the drawings stick. This early intimacy with his surroundings led him to create paintings of his everyday life with mud, berries, soot, rocks, iron, sand, chalk and house paint, using his fingers instead of brushes. "It was all there in the ground, every color of dirt and mud," he once said, "I got twenty-three colors of dirt in my own yard." Sudduth depicted his small rural town of Caines Ridge, Alabama, the people that lived there, his successive dogs (all named Toto), animals, plants and self-portraits. Later, when he began traveling to cities to exhibit his work, he also started painting buildings, skyscrapers and urban scenes. His treatment of his subjects is direct, immediate and expressive, full of affection for the world he lived in, with its many stories and colorful inhabitants. 

Just now, luberhill said:

That’s a dog ?

Better?

image.png.62e5037311180799672ce464cb699698.png

• Like 1

Congrats ! 

We’re in the will of a person who owns a couple dozen paintings , some in the five figure range . . Art, jewelry , gold have always been a nice way to pass some wealth under the radar .

I love hard assets . 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Congrats ! 

We’re in the will of a person who owns a couple dozen paintings , some in the five figure range . . Art, jewelry , gold have always been a nice way to pass some wealth under the radar .

I love hard assets . 

Don’t hold your breath on art values.   I have a friend who’s a pretty well know artist in the sporting art field.   Thomas Aquinas Daly.   The secondary market on art can be sketchy.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Don’t hold your breath on art values.   I have a friend who’s a pretty well know artist in the sporting art field.   Thomas Aquinas Daly.   The secondary market on art can be sketchy.   

It’s certainly nothing I’m counting on 100k or so is not that much to me . My hedge fund ,private equity nephew triples our money every three years …..minus the 2/20% rule . I just like off the books assets .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, left field said:

Jimmy Lee Sudduth. Been wanting one of his dog paintings for a while.

1EA2D25B-EC1D-4780-9ACF-1E9A33B3D7AE_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.dd1a03b644d4d6d8338a3b98bb1ce24e.jpeg

Very interesting artist and painting.

As the years go by, you realize that time is to short to let something get away that you've always wanted.

A birthday present to yourself is the perfect way to make that happen.

On a side note, if I tried to hang a painting of a dog in the living room, even a cute 3 legged dog with it's tongue hanging out, my wife would make it disappear, no matter who the artist is !

Happy Birthday.

8 hours ago, BizCT said:

Nice. I’m looking for an abstract mountain Lion for my office. Any suggestions on websites to check?

That's so specific that it may be easier to find an artist you like and commision something.

Or an old Outdoor Life cover:

image.png.a4b8e7632c6cca1434065fb23c5d2e7c.png

Or this Frazetta piece.

image.png.0b9352cac8ce4d69c20e59e57a195554.png

6 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Very interesting artist and painting.

As the years go by, you realize that time is to short to let something get away that you've always wanted.

A birthday present to yourself is the perfect way to make that happen.

On a side note, if I tried to hang a painting of a dog in the living room, even a cute 3 legged dog with it's tongue hanging out, my wife would make it disappear, no matter who the artist is !

Happy Birthday.

Thanks. I've let a lot of things - art wise - get away.

I passed on a Hambleton Marlboro Man for 17K about 15 years ago. Now the definitive ones are well over 100K. 

image.png.41d8461fab92ed7edbe81fb489bb6273.png

I did get lucky on this Beatrice Helg, which typically sells for 20K and I bought for 700 at auction. Cost me 4K to frame it though. But I love it.

image.thumb.png.1b85f3c082dbd71372ac5a91b342849d.png

My biggest regret was not buying every piece of Paul Evans furniture I could when they were only a few thousand dollars. Now they're hitting 300K.

image.thumb.png.89e816bb172ddae93b14311bcc01c89e.png

So it goes. 

Edited by left field
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BizCT said:

I’m looking for an abstract mountain Lion for my office. Any suggestions on websites to check?

Check out artist Tom Mansanarez, he does some nice wildlife and hunting art. I have a small collection of his stuff depictions of hunting various big game with Hounds. Philip Goodwin is another.

Al

2022-05-11_074809.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

The "art" market is the biggest money laundering scheme ever to exist. Same reason a certain politicians crackhead son is making millions off his "art" yet somehow against all legal logic his buyers are allowed to remain anonymous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Check out artist Tom Mansanarez, he does some nice wildlife and hunting art. I have a small collection of his stuff depictions of hunting various big game with Hounds. Philip Goodwin is another.

Al

2022-05-11_074809.png

Thanks. I feel like a lion or tiger is a perfect piece of art for home office. But the mountain lion has more meaning to me since I killed one. This is kinda the idea I have, but can't find what I want. Sorry for derailing thread btw.

mountain-lion-painting-cougar-big-cat-art-original-wild-animal-kent-paulette.jpg