Picked up a piece of art for my birthday.

left field

I inspected a shop here where they sold African “ art “ the basement had piles of it laying on the floor . The guy showed us pieces he bought for  $15 bucks over there and sold for like a grand !  

rumor has it Moog funded his new home via his painting of a few years back…..

• Like 2

He is folk art. I love Grandma Moses and similar works, which he falls into. 

Several years ago we were at an auction, and a hand painted silk end table cover came up. It was wonderfully hand painted by Al Capp ( a friend of the family holding the auction) with all the characters from the comic strip "Lil Abner" (for those of you who remember such things), cavorting in a circular pattern . It was wonderful. I desperately would have loved it, but we absolutely had no place to put it.

The pics really don't do it justice. It's great in real life. My wife found it at an antique store in Paris.

These are 2500-year-old horse heads from China. They would have sat in wooden bodies. Picked these up in Hong Kong. Along with a girl named Suzie Kwan.

IMG_7433.thumb.jpeg.c1833c56a93b050349f3027dcc36ec26.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

I inspected a shop here where they sold African “ art “ the basement had piles of it laying on the floor . The guy showed us pieces he bought for  $15 bucks over there and sold for like a grand !  

rumor has it Moog funded his new home via his painting of a few years back…..

well played sir , well played.

moog painting.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The pics really don't do it justice. It's great in real life. My wife found it at an antique store in Paris.
These are 2500-year-old horse heads from China. They would have sat in wooden bodies. Picked these up in Hong Kong. Along with a girl named Suzie Kwan.
IMG_7433.thumb.jpeg.c1833c56a93b050349f3027dcc36ec26.jpeg

Burying the lead….pics of Suzie K????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

One of my favorites hung in the barbershop where I got my hair cut as a young kid, Budweiser's "Custer's Last Fight". I would stare at it the whole time I was in the barber chair. About 20 years ago I found one in mint condition at a price I could afford and picked it up. 

Al

2022-06-26_065552.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, left field said:

Not a fan and don't really get the appeal. Seems to be a good business though.

I just arrived at a friend's country manor in Sweden that chock full of art so I'll post a few things in the next couple of days.

Cool, sounds good!