Question about hunting location

UA22Plumber

So i marked up this satellite image of where im hunting for your remarks. I put a stand up out behind my house that I can go out to every morning. but on more than one occasion i have jumped deer that were bed down in the fields between my house and my stand.

I have lots of trailcam pictures of deer right in front of my stand but I have only seen 2 Doe on one day while hunting from it. dunno if I'm scaring them off on my way in or in they are just winding me before i even see them. I did have one sneak up behind me and wind me, made a wheeze and ran off before i even saw what it was.

What do you think?

post-2621-0-20186200-1349920239_thumb.jp

If you are spooking deer in the morning trying to get to your stand, you may want to try it in the afternoon and evening so the deer are bedded in the woods and have to travel by you to get to the field. You may end up spooking deer at the field when you leave as well.

yes i have spooked them on the way out at night too but it was to dark for a shot and after legal light.

im not sure of your boundries but mabey you could hang another stand or use a blind closer to your back yard? either that or walk in to your stand and keep what looks like a treeline to your left shoulder and then procede to your stand? like i said with out knowing where you can and where you cant go kinda limits the opinions that others can offer. just my 2$

IMO looks like when you go in you spook them and they split up probably to the left and right and after that they just watch and pretty much know your in the area so they are cautious.. like coonhunter said id go in afternoonish or even a little before and stalk to your stand.. even if you see them before you get there if your close enough to get a shot and not scare them take it.. dont have to be in the stand to fill the tag and freezer :popcorn2: (closest i could get to eating) lol

Edited by danc0320

looks like the same layout of the land i just got permission to hunt.I have to go through all the bedding areas to get to a spot to hang a stand.From stalk hunting for years i learned one thing.WIND.if its blowing from the east i go on one side.if it is blowing from the west i walk the east side of the field.I take my time eithor it be night day or dusk. i sometimes will take so long to walk in that it takes me an hr to get to my stand.And sometimes it will take an hr to get from stand to truck.I think i just like to be in the woods better than being home.Hahaha.

I know the reason i got permission to hunt this land is to push the deer from this side onto the owners side where he has stands over 3 ac of sweet corn for the deer and a food plot.I have to "patrol" the land for trespassers.Also push him the deer.LOL.So if i am stealth in and out.I will still push a few but might not do exactly what he want's.

I would hang a stand in the hedge row you are walking in to your stand about half way to your stand. you didn't show which way predominant wind blows from. but if you have to hunt that stand i would walk way around one side of the bedding area or the other rather than thru the middle....regardless of wind.

How does one mark a pic. like that ? Thanks

i did that in photoshop

any thank you for all the comments and suggestion from everyone else.

dunnno if its because its getting closer to rut but the deer seem to be a little less in the area but I am seeing more bucks and different ones than had been showing up. There was a doe with a pair of button buck that I have not seen in a couple weeks and one doe that is just showing up around 2-3am.

Biggest problem is I'm not seeing deer while in the stand. I can only go out in the morning during the week and I haven't seen or heard and deer on my way out to the stand.

I went to my stand last friday morning sat the all morning and didn't see any thing. got down swapped out the SD card in my trail cam and left. I got to go back out Saturday morning and again didn't see anything. Then didn't get to go back out that night, turn out i didn't miss anything anyways. Weather restricted me from going out Sunday or Monday and Tuesday I just could get myself out of bed.

So today I went out to my stand... didn't see anything on the way out or all morning. got down and swapped the SD card again. thinking that it had been in the camera for 5 day there would be quite a few pics on it I was disappointed to only see 10 pictures taken.

I did get a nice surprise on the first couple pics but deer were only there friday evening and saturday around 2-3am and no deer pictures since.

post-2621-0-48191800-1350530056_thumb.jp

post-2621-0-07217500-1350530097_thumb.jp

post-2621-0-76355600-1350530128_thumb.jp

• Like 1

man, its an antler deer. you gotta wake up in the morning and hunt it. i would just wake all night to get this deer.

i did that in photoshop

any thank you for all the comments and suggestion from everyone else.

dunnno if its because its getting closer to rut but the deer seem to be a little less in the area but I am seeing more bucks and different ones than had been showing up. There was a doe with a pair of button buck that I have not seen in a couple weeks and one doe that is just showing up around 2-3am.

Biggest problem is I'm not seeing deer while in the stand. I can only go out in the morning during the week and I haven't seen or heard and deer on my way out to the stand.

I went to my stand last friday morning sat the all morning and didn't see any thing. got down swapped out the SD card in my trail cam and left. I got to go back out Saturday morning and again didn't see anything. Then didn't get to go back out that night, turn out i didn't miss anything anyways. Weather restricted me from going out Sunday or Monday and Tuesday I just could get myself out of bed.

So today I went out to my stand... didn't see anything on the way out or all morning. got down and swapped the SD card again. thinking that it had been in the camera for 5 day there would be quite a few pics on it I was disappointed to only see 10 pictures taken.

I did get a nice surprise on the first couple pics but deer were only there friday evening and saturday around 2-3am and no deer pictures since.

If you have access to the property on the downwind side, change your approach, even if it takes longer to get there. Or wait until its light out before you walk in, and then stalk to your stand. Can you get another stand in near the bedding area? Maybe a blind?

I would hang a stand in the hedge row you are walking in to your stand about half way to your stand. you didn't show which way predominant wind blows from. but if you have to hunt that stand i would walk way around one side of the bedding area or the other rather than thru the middle....regardless of wind.

Blind or stand half way out into the field along the hedge.

Exactly what i was thinking.

I would also say that bucks would be more likely to use the strip of woods between that clearing that your camera is facing (I am assuming its near your stand) and the more open fields where they are bedding. Make sure you have a shot covering the woods between the clearing and fields the bucks like cover.