Where to hunt in Long Island, NY

faihasan

Hi Guys,

I am a new hunter, and this is my first season. I skipped the bow hunting as I didn't have enough practice, and didn't want to risk it. Looking forward for the Gun Season on Suffolk.

Any suggestion on where to shoot. I know there is Otis Pike Preserve and Rocky Point but never been those places and don't have much idea about how to hunt. If get a companion that would be a great help.

Let me know your suggestion, and how can I join someone and an apprentice.

Hi Guys,

I am a new hunter, and this is my first season. I skipped the bow hunting as I didn't have enough practice, and didn't want to risk it. Looking forward for the Gun Season on Suffolk.

Any suggestion on where to shoot. I know there is Otis Pike Preserve and Rocky Point but never been those places and don't have much idea about how to hunt. If get a companion that would be a great help.

Let me know your suggestion, and how can I join someone and an apprentice.

Seeing that this is your first year hunting, ever consider going after small game while you wait for deer gun special on LI?

• Like 1

Good idea, but can i shoot small games with shotgun?

i want to shoot on public lands, and woods.

LI allowed shotguns for hinting small game and waterfowl. There's also a special shotgun season in LI for deer in January. LI is very shotgun friendly. Good luck to you.

• Like 1

I went to check the public land on Otis Pike Preserve. Tried to follow the instruction and found Parking 6 and 5 in Manorville. These parkings are very far from one another and only permits one vehicle per location.

My question is, how can i get a details map of all the parkings? I already tried local gas station, they don't have a clue.

my second question is, can i go to public woods in october or november with a shotgun and hunt small games?

I went to check the public land on Otis Pike Preserve. Tried to follow the instruction and found Parking 6 and 5 in Manorville. These parkings are very far from one another and only permits one vehicle per location.

My question is, how can i get a details map of all the parkings? I already tried local gas station, they don't have a clue.

my second question is, can i go to public woods in october or november with a shotgun and hunt small games?

Yes, you are allowed to hunt small game during big game season in most places. Just don't bring any slugs or buckshot with you.

got it, i just have to carry the #6 Steel Shots.

I better call DEC and ask them why they got all wrong information on their website. Let me show you.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8297.html

Otis Pike Preserve (Formerly Navy Cooperative Area) - 4,000 acres, upland, wetland, hiking trails, boat access, parking lot, birdwatching, horseback riding (bring your own horse), dog training, hunting, fishing and trapping. This WMA is located a few miles east of Randall Pond. Kiosks at Randall Pond have maps showing parking areas. Visitors need permits.

Rocky Point NRMA - 5,600 acres, upland, hiking trails, parking lot, birdwatching, hunting, trapping, biking, dog training, horseback riding (bring your own horse). This WMA is located a few miles west of Randall Pond. Kiosks at Randall Pond have maps showing parking areas. Visitors need permits.

So i wrote them this email last night:

Hi,

I am a new hunter and would like to get your attention on following page. If you go to the following link and go under Suffolk County you would see Otis Pike Preserve and Rocky Point NRMA. On both location, it says near Randall Pond, ask local Kiosks. It doesn't give any clear instructions. I tried to follow the instructions and failed to locate it. I found Otis Pike Preserve after going off LIE exit 69 to Rte 25. and then 25a. I think these two location needs to be reviewed and give us the correct way to visit it.

If Otis Pike is anything like West Point then you just have to go to the check in station in the morning, let them know you're going to be in there (they'll want record your hunting license #, etc) and then when you're done, you go back and let them know you're done. This way they know who is in the park and when.

I hear the small game hunting in Otis Pike is good. Been meaning to check it out but never find the time.

Also, if you see waterfowl and want to take a crack at it you must get a duck stamp and register with HIP first. To shoot at waterfowl, you must have a stick in your shotgun that will limit the number of rounds your gun can carry to 3. 2 in mag, one in chamber. I would also go with something heavier than #6 for waterfowl. They recommend #2 for ducks and BB for geese. I shot a Canada Geese with #6 steel shot before. It shrugged it off like it was nothing and all I did was injure it. A mistake I've learned and will never repeat again.

• Like 1

Thanks Elmo for your kind information. Let me know if you want to hunt to otis pike over the weekends, then we can team up. I have a old 96 chevy lumina, that can't go to dirt. So have to park near the street, and walk a lot. i didn't see any check point last weekend, have to look for it again.

I don't know if I need a dog to shoot a bird, or waterfowl!! do I need to have a dog? i don't have any dog, and don't have a chance to get one in next 2 years.

nb: how to put a stick (restriction) on shotgun? sorry i am really new to hunting :(

Thanks Elmo for your kind information. Let me know if you want to hunt to otis pike over the weekends, then we can team up. I have a old 96 chevy lumina, that can't go to dirt. So have to park near the street, and walk a lot. i didn't see any check point last weekend, have to look for it again.

I don't know if I need a dog to shoot a bird, or waterfowl!! do I need to have a dog? i don't have any dog, and don't have a chance to get one in next 2 years.

nb: how to put a stick (restriction) on shotgun? sorry i am really new to hunting :(

Fai, dogs are not required to hunt, but some folks refuse to hunt without one, since it's very enjoyable to use dogs for pheasants, ducks, and rabbit. But it's not required, and one can still be very successful without them.

The stick in the shotgun is just to fill the ammo reservoir so that you cannot have more than 3 bullets/shells in the gun at any given time. If you have a single shot or dual barrel break action, you need not worry.

• Like 1

Training a dog to hunt is an art in itself as well as a joy for some people. Having a dog is increases your success by a ton but it isn't absolutely required. If you're going to hunt ducks, most of the time you'll find them near water which makes having a dog that can retrieve the duck extremely helpful.

The stick is called a shotgun plug. You can find it on amazon or Dick's, etc. Just google search "shotgun plug".

• Like 1