Shot at a huge 8... Please tell me I'm not crazy

Geno C

Geno...he'll be back..Ole ma nature had other plans for him that day...

When I skinned my doe she had a quarter size spot on her shoulder/top of spine of pus...eeww.... I cut away around it to make sure it wasn't deep when I laid out the hide to take off fat and roll....I sell them...the infected area was a hole...no blood or sign of the wound on fur side but on the flesh side obvious...we think it was a live another day encounter she had with another hunter earlier...No worse for wear...Good Luck

Edited by growalot

hey geno no hard feelings i was just saying about how it feels when your on the other side ,possibly wounding a animal and not finding it.i know they just make anyone a moderator for a web site and that you probably no tons about hunting.was just saying how it sucks loosing on,and by the way you did ask a question about the spark?and i am not crying about anything in this post and really dont flatter yourself i surely do not have any kind of jones for you.i never said anything about you being better than anyone,but i do have a question why did you go for the spine shot insted of the old fashioned vital shot,and a for being jealous i dont ever see any pictures of all your trophy deer that you get .i dont claim to be anything but a hunter for myself,and anything i shoot is my trophy and i go years were i eat my tags,i personally let the small bucks grow because when i need meet i take some doe,since i can pretty much get endless suffolk tags.you always talk about how big the deer you see are but never see any posts of you harvesting any.im just saying not judging i know you cant get them all but if you get them so close to you once in a while you should get one or two.so exscuse me if im wrong i dont stalk you you might have some pics of all your deer or you may not im just saying i dont follow you that closely sorry.and i dont have any bad blood for MR.GENO anyone

I never claim to kill big deer year in year out, not sure where you get this info. I've pushed myself to evolve as a hunter and try and take bigger deer. I eat tag soup often on my buck tags. I shoot a doe every year minimum as I have alot of tags for Doe, being on the island I'm sure you know that. Like I stated earlier if you read it, I do not take low percentage shots, case closed... I will not and won't. Put yourself in my shoes, watching the same 130" 12 point infront of you and having to let him walk 2 days in a row. It's not always about killing them, some of my best hunts don't always end in a harvest. The reason I hit above him was not where I was aiming I don't spine deer. If you equate being almost 30' in a tree and then shooting at a deer low on a ridge using my 20 yard pin ins natural that the arrow will sail high, I should have aimed lower. Was my fault... But you really should read all my posts, you jump the gun like you skim what I write.

also i might add did you really think a spark would happen by hitting bone,i know everyone is trying to be sympathetic but come on and a carbon arrow against the fur we are stretching to be nice,just my opinion,and when you hit a log it may make a thud

A while back a good friend of mine missed a buck, late in the day. He shot just over him and he swore that he saw a spark fly off the carbon arrow as it passed over the deer. We called him "sparky" for the rest of the season. That was the first time I had heard of that happening, and Geno's incident is the second.

ive never seen it before with out hitting a rock or something. first thing i thought was rock but when i got down there was not a rock in sight or hard object... the small little 4" branch was rotted and kind of soft so i was stumped lol.

oh and whitetail to answer your question about the time i spent. it was about 3 hours and i was heading back to the truck to take my coveralls off and drop some things off at the truck and head back out to look. I thought hard and said what would really end this search and confirm what i think is if i found hair on one blade and not the other. when i got to the truck i had the branch with the head in the pickup bed, it had dark hair on one blade with a VERY tiny 3" speckled blood trail on one side of the arrow... if thats not a skim miss i dont know what is...

Gentlemen, just to clear up blood/hair on the broadhead/arrow after the shot, I have an experience I'd like to share.... I shot my best buck to date while it was standing broadside...20 yards...easy shot.. After the shot, I saw where the arrow went & I thought for sure I had a clean low miss.. I climbed down & found my arrow...the spitfire deployed, but no hair or blood on the broadhead or arrow shaft. On 1 blazer fletch there was a SMALL streak of blood across one side of 1 fletch. I figured I must of just grazed him, gave him a paper cut or something but instinct told me to walk off into the direction he ran...not 30 yards from where i shot, it looked like a hose stream of blood on the ground, my easiest most profound bloodtrail to date. I ended up hitting this buck very low in front of the 2 front legs at the base of the neck. (where the neck meets the front legs) NO major organs were hit, the spitfire cut an artery and the buck made it about 300 yards before he ran out of liquid... Point of the story is, never use solely what you find on your arrow/broadhead to determine if you've made a fatal shot on an animal....

• Like 1