Now I Know

Engraver99

Always wondered why the elders were always reading the obituaries - Now I know! Having achieved the age of 62, I have encountered much death over the last year and a half.  On the personall side, My Father, My younger brother, my dog, my 2 cats - it's almost exhausting and truly depressing. Time is running out for some of us sooner than later and it's the only thing you can't buy more of. Enjoy each and every day as best you can. Damn wish I was 30 again or younger! you don't get it...until you get it! - sorry for the babble.

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

Always wondered why the elders were always reading the obituaries - Now I know! Having achieved the age of 62, I have encountered much death over the last year and a half.  On the personall side, My Father, My younger brother, my dog, my 2 cats - it's almost exhausting and truly depressing. Time is running out for some of us sooner than later and it's the only thing you can't buy more of. Enjoy each and every day as best you can. Damn wish I was 30 again or younger! you don't get it...until you get it! - sorry for the babble.

Sorry about your losses, but I can assure you that there is a better home awaiting for all of us, and that they are there and enjoying that right now.

I lost (3) of my hunting and fishing buddies the last few years.  Two of them were younger than me (I’ll be 58 this year).  While I regret not spending a little more time with them, I know the best is yet to come.  

FAF74B26-9F61-4562-BB85-4B26D706B53E.thumb.jpeg.9984b1108650fd45ce2826600311dcf1.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, First-light said:

I hear ya. Taken me 59 years to finally get to that cabin full time! lol Hope I get to enjoy a good 20 years there. I was just saying to my buddy. Seems when you get to 60 so many around you are getting sick or dying. 

That's the truth. The golden years don't seem so golden for most. The only thing you can do is enjoy every day as much as you can.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

Sorry for all your recent losses and your not alone on this. I know what your going thru Cuz and I'm sure others here feel the same way.

I'm 63 now and admit I do reflect more on my life.  Things I did right and things I did wrong.  Mostly hoping I learned from both. Where I could make amends to anyone I had wronged and forgive those that wronged me.

About 12 years ago I lost my older brother to cancer.  He worked like a dog most of his life in a high stress job as a banker in the big leagues making lots of money.  He finally retires in his late 50's, buys an old winery in Bordeaux and thinks he's got life by the short hairs.  He was dead in four years being there.  French medical system misdiagnosed his ailment.  (I'm not a fan of socialized medicine)

Then about two months later after his death my best friend goes in for a minor outpatient operation to have a small growth removed from his neck.  Three days later he's dead from a blood clot to the brain.

Both these events really screwed with my head.   I did decide I was going down the same path as my brother.  I made up my mind to realize my dream of buying my own hunting land and a small cabin which ended up being on top of a mountain.  Subsequently wife and I bought a log home that bordered our property and I retired early.  Best decision I ever made.  My place even came with a name, Golden Ponds. 

There are no guarantees in life, but I do recognize I've had a good one.   Enjoy every day as it is a gift.

• Like 8

Be 65 this month. Been through a bunch of medical stuff. My wife too. Just taking it one day at a time. 

Every day is a good day! God will decide when it's time to go home. For now, I got stuff to do!!

• Like 5

Sorry for your losses. Death is a sonofabitch.

Though the list of things I know I'll now never do has grown larger than the list of things I want to do, there's still a little fire to get some stuff done.

I think I'm going to Dylan Thomas it and not go gentle into that good night; rage, rage at the dying of the light.

That or go out like James Cagney in White Heat.

My wife’s parents passed like 30 years ago , mine a few years back . I’m at total peace , I can pass tomorrow, and I’ll smile ,I’ve had hell of a ride ! ( 63 y/o )

Years ago I told our kids I just wanted to make it to the point , I knew they were set , mission accomplished, I’m on bonus time now .

I told our youngest put me in our boat ,float it out in the lake and shoot flaming arrows at it! She said but then we’ll loose the boat . 

God I love that kid .

My condolences to those that lost love ones , but don’t cry over me , its all good .

• Like 5

It’s a hard truth, we all have an expiration date, we just don’t know what it is. Never knew a grandparent, lost my dad at 20, and my brother in Viet Nam a month later. My mom at 30. Good genes do not run in my family.  I retired at 55 after 33 years of teaching in NY and watching many teachers work in to their 60’s only to die a few years after retirement. Not for me, retired as soon as possible and have been living my best life ever since. Every day is a gift. 
I enjoy working hard on my land and haven’t regretted retirement one single day. Work is important but not the reason for living.

Edited by 46rkl
Mispelling
  • Like 5

I learned at a young age on my first combat deployment that tomorrow wasn’t a guarantee. When I lost my dad 5 years ago it solidified it for me, I feel like my dad died with a lot more wants than memories and that still bothers me to this day. He could have afforded it but he always wanted to make more money or had another excuse why he couldn’t do something.

I live every day like it’s my last. There’s nothing I want for. If I want something without going into debt I buy it. If there’s something I want to do I do it. I eat what I want, drink what I want, I exercise only because I need to be in shape to hunt the way I want to hunt not for the health benefits.

No offense to any of the older crowd but I don’t know many people that are in there 80’s+ that seem very happy. I’m totally ok being gone the day after I can’t do what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3