How much to cut and wrap?

ants

For those of you who don't cut your own deer, what do you pay for a cut and wrap. No sausage or anything extra. I pay $50 but I called I guy today who lives a lot closer than my usual guy. He wanted $75!! I've been using the same guy for a while. Just wondering if Im getting a real good deal with my guy or if the other guy is nuts.

$90 unless you donate.

I usually donate (free of charge) and you get to keep the backstraps.

How many deer butchers out there will do it for free if you donate the venison?? There may be some, but I bet they are in the minority. Most butchers have more than they could handle. I doubt you will get too many chopping deer up for NO money.

I cut my own up. Always have and always will. I don't care how reputable the butcher is. Absolutely NO way for you to know that the meat you get back is actually yours.

• Like 1

I prefer to do my own, but if I'm in a pinch and don't have time I'll take it to a friend of mine who cuts deer. He charges me $50 to cut and wrap it (plastic wrap and freezer paper). He also makes cube steaks. He says he's giving me a deal, but I have no idea what he charges everone else. This guy is meticulous though. I have no doubt I'm getting my own meat back.

How many deer butchers out there will do it for free if you donate the venison?? There may be some, but I bet they are in the minority. Most butchers have more than they could handle. I doubt you will get too many chopping deer up for NO money.

I cut my own up. Always have and always will. I don't care how reputable the butcher is. Absolutely NO way for you to know that the meat you get back is actually yours.

One we used in Syracuse and one in Rochester was free of charge if you donated. We never got the keep the backstraps though. I have never heard of a charge to donate.

• Like 1

One we used in Syracuse and one in Rochester was free of charge if you donated. We never got the keep the backstraps though. I have never heard of a charge to donate.

I have never used a butcher in NYS, but know that butchers in other states will charge you for cutting it up even if you decide to donate. I would think it's the same here with most butchers, but don't know for sure. I just can't see what the incentive for the butcher would be to cut a bunch of deer up for non-paying hunters and then give them charity. Wouldn't he lose out on all the deer he could have butchered for a fee?? I can't imagine that he gets too much if anything from the venison donation people for his services, and any tax writes offs he might be eligible for would be piddly at best.

I have no idea but wanna bet NY subsidises the program...lol

Could be. Would be interesting to know how it really all works. What I would really like to know is who gets this venison? Plenty of "poor" people out there who probably wouldn't touch venison with a ten foot pole. The old saying "beggars can't be choosers" isn't exactly true.

From the DEC web site

Venison Donation Program

Venison Donation

You've heard the story, more deer every year, fewer hunters, more crop damage, more car-deer collisions . . . and even more needy. Yes, more needy.

Now there is a means for YOU, the sportsman to contribute to those in need within your local area. By filling your deer permits you can not only help reduce the State's growing deer population, but you can feed less fortunate families. Several groups have established programs that promote the donation of venison to feed the hungry.

More information about each program can be found at Venison Donation Coalition and Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (See Links Leaving DEC's Website).

All the programs need from you is your generosity and cooperation. Those in need in your community will be very thankful.

You may also help by donating cash. Recent legislation authorized a voluntary contribution process and also established a separate fund for these monies to pay for the costs of processing donated venison.

Could be. Would be interesting to know how it really all works. What I would really like to know is who gets this venison? Plenty of "poor" people out there who probably wouldn't touch venison with a ten foot pole. The old saying "beggars can't be choosers" isn't exactly true.

I know soup kitchens ans homeless shelters do take advantage of it.

Sounds like I'm getting a good deal. My guy charges an extra $10 to vacuum seal, but I just go for the basic cut and freezer paper. I separate the meat -steaks, chops burger....etc then put those packs into a big brown paper bag. No freezer burn 2 years later.

$50 is a good deal, My guy that I go to charges $60 and I consider that a good deal. Better to take it somewhere though that you know your getting back YOUR deer even if you have to pay a little extra.

Hear ya. my guy takes the number off of your order sheet ant staples if to the deer ear.

I have one guy I really trust, he does a great job and is $65 and that is with ground if you want and all wrapped. I have a back up in a pinch and he is about the same $65 or $70 and real clean and does a good job just not as good as the other but he vacuume packs. I can do my own and have, but usually I would rather be out hunting. I take half a day to do a deer them it takes an hour. And both I get back the deer I bring in not any mixing.

Edited by Fletch

Ive gone to butchers 2 times and stopped..Ill never go back. Both times I told them not to give me ground and to keep some meat on bone (ribs, neck) and both times I got back a S*it load of ground meat and no bone. And of course I highly doubt that I got my own deer back..Theres no way of knowing. It takes time to do it yourself but atleast you know what your getting.

I'll be honest, I haven't had the best luck with processors. Used to be better and more processors out there.

I shoot quite a few and at times, I'll kill one when my time is limited or when something comes up unexpectedly. I have one guy that is real cheap...$35 but no wrapping...gotta do that yourself. He is good, but it's not as easy to always drop off since he only does small amount of deer a season (50 or less) as a means for xmas money for the kids. Larry's in East Avon is really the only other one I have used, and it's scary. I cringe when I have to go there.

If I have time, I'll do it myself.