Looking for a track driver rifle.. opinions??

Hey people, I have been wanting to buy a real nice left handed bolt action rifle for a while now. seems life gets in the way bringing you things you dont wanna deal with.. anyway. I really like the remington 700 rifles. was thinking in .270 or 30-06 both come in left handed. Thou I want a .308 unfortunetly it does not come in lefty. I want a real tack driver at long distances (100 to 300 yards) I want the longer 24" barrel however the thing I dont know is the difference between the 700 ADL and the 700 BDL. Gander Mountain recently had a sale on the remmy 700 ADL for $449.99 any thoughts or opinions or recomendations?

I seen on remingtons website after making this post that there are also MANY other models. BDL, CDL, ADL, SPS XCR Im looking for a rifle for target and deer hunting They also have a 700 ADL .300 win Mag with a 26" barrel for $529.99

Edited by apoallo

As a left hander myself, have you looked at savages? 30-06 is a very versitale round. But 100- 300 is not considered long distance by many. I almost shoot that with a 45-70 gov 250 is my max.. I assume you plan on using this in ny. So 308 is a reduced 30-06. But you can get 30-06 ammo anywhere and in a great choice of bullet weights as well. What ever you get plan on spending almost double on a good scope for the gun. Best of luck!

Really no noticible difference between a 308 & 30-06. Ammo for both is easily found. Savage (from what I have heard) has a good choice of LH guns and they are very accurate.

If this were me, I'd simily get a LH Remington CDL, chambered in 7mm-08 and NEVER look back. Spend the coin (sell a kidney or some sperm if your short some cabbage) and get yourself a real looker & shooter.

Or, watch the web for a used LH Remington BDL in 308. The do pop up now and then. I'd take the 7mm-08 over the 308 though........and then there is the 260Rem. So many choices, too little scratch........

Edited by Lawdwaz

I have a Rem. 700 in 30-06 and a Ruger m-77 in 7mm-08 (both lefty's) Both real good guns and very accurate. I sort of semi retired the Remington since buying the Ruger. The 30-06 performance speaks for its self but I really love the 7mm-08. Lighter recoil, accurate and seems to drop deer as fast as the 06. my 2 cents

Don't know what your intentions are with the larger caliber but my 700 BDL in a .25-06 is a perfect "tack driving" rifle for deer hunting. Wouldn't go after much larger game with it though. Shoots really flat and fast with the smaller caliber.

Edited by walnuts24

Not a remington, but a .270 Weatherby Magnum would fit the bill. Very flat shooting rifle.

0-300 yards you'd be holding dead-on. 400 yards you'd be holding just a little high, but still on the body.

Found this on their website:

"Some Weatherby® Mark V® rifles (.257 Wby. Mag. - .460 Wby. Mag.) can be ordered as a left hand model. For more information, please call the Weatherby Custom Shop at (805) 227-2600."

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I have two rifles I highly recommend for tackdrivers to 400 yards and beyond:

.270 SAKO 85 (expensive, but worth it - my favorite rifle)

.30-06 CZ 550 (a very accurate rifle and priced well below its competitors).

Both easily achieve sub MOA. I tend to think CZs are the best buy on the market. I don't think the big box stores carry either. Not sure what's offered in lefty.

The only problem I see with the current Remington 700's is that for most of their models, other than the Mountain rifle and BDL, their barrel lengths for the .270 and .30-06 is 24". I see absolutely NO reason why a 24" barrel is needed for these calibers. With a 22" inch barrel you would lose nothing at 300 yards or further, yet you'd have a more portable gun. That is the reason I would vote for a Savage in the standard calibers, like the .308, .270 or .30-06, plus their accuracy is supposed to be second to none, let alone their reasonable price. And this is coming from someone who has used a Rem 700 BDL(with 22" barrel) in .270 for close to 30 years now!

Not a remington, but a .270 Weatherby Magnum would fit the bill. Very flat shooting rifle.

0-300 yards you'd be holding dead-on. 400 yards you'd be holding just a little high, but still on the body.

"Some Weatherby® Mark V® rifles (.257 Wby. Mag. - .460 Wby. Mag.) can be ordered as a left hand model. For more information, please call the Weatherby Custom Shop at (805) 227-2600."

2.50 a round and up....lol. I can do a LOT cheaper and just as dead inside 300 yards. Do you own stock in Weatherby?...lol

Of course there are cheaper rifles than a Weatherby. Please backup your statement with a .270 that does all of the following:

shoots flatter, with more power, and better accuracy than a Weatherby .270 Magnum

In the table below bullet weight is given in grains, velocity is given in feet per second (fps) and energy is given in foot pounds (ft lb). General abbreviations used below are: MV (muzzle velocity), ME (muzzle energy), V (velocity), E (energy), yds (yards), Wb (weight of bullet). Abbreviations of bullet types are: SP (spire point), Sp (spitzer), BT (boat tail), HP (hollow point), FP (flat point), RN (round nose).

Cartridge (Wb + type) MV (fps) V @ 200 yds ME (ft lb) E @ 200 yds

.270 Win. (130 Sp) 3060 2639 2702 2009 .270 Win. (140 Sp) 3100 2620 2990 2140 .270 Win. (150 Sp) 2850 2183 2705 1587 .270 WSM (130 SpBT) 3275 2820 3096 2295 .270 WSM (150 Sp) 3150 2601 3304 2252 .270 Wby. Mag. (130 Sp) 3375 2982 3288 2415 .270 Wby. Mag. (150 Sp) 3245 2823 3502 2655

Of course, if you are looking for a cheaper rifle, then many other options are just fine. Just dont say they do the same exact job. Close, but no cigar.

270 WSM inside the 300 yards he mentioned. available in multiple makes and models and is cheaper to shoot.

Keyword, "Almost". This isn't horseshoes.

I think we can both agree on this statement:

Anything the 270-WSM can do, the 270-WBY Mag can do better. This can not be said for vice-versa.

It can also hammer your shoulder harder and blast out your eardrums quicker...

My 7mm08 will kill game just as quick within 300 yards as your belted magnum, with much less expense and commotion. As per accuracy..The 7mm08 groups sub MOA at 100 yards. How much more accuracy do you need ?

Then there are asthetics involved...I consider the Mark Vs GAUDY...If a PIMP were to hunt, he'd use a Weatherby Mark V.

Weatherby guns have had their followers, but they are far less popular than they once were. LOTS of other choices out there that are just as accurate if not more and cheaper to boot. Weatherby itself seems to be pushing it's Vanguard model even more than the Mark V which is its trademark gun. Why? Because it's just as good and accurate in the standard calibers and way more affordable. Cartridge power isn't everything. MORE game gets killed with the more traditional hunting rounds and will continue to. A Weatherby magnum won't make someone a better hunter than he is.