Looking for a track driver rifle.. opinions??

I have no experience with CZ but he Savages are very good shooting guns.

I have a CZ-550 American in 9.3 x62 and it is a great rifle. I get 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with 250 grain Barnes X bullets..A friend of mine has one in .308 and that is a one-holer. I have talked with many other guys on other forums that have them and every one is a tack driver. Even the full stock models shoot under an inch. I'd love to get a full stock model in 6.5 x 55....

FYI Biz

130 gr Trophy Bonded Federal Premium

270WSM

Eng 100-2685, 200-2315, 300-1988

Traj--100-0, 200-( -2.2), 300- (-8.8.)

270Weatherby Mag

Eng 100-2553, 200-2299, 300--1885

Traj--100-0, 200-( -2.5), 300- (-9.5)

Where did you get this from? Maybe I am only familiar with 150gr? If zeroed at 100yards, the bullet should still be rising and be + inches at 200, no?

he .270WBY Mag I shoot, is 2" high at 100, over 3" high at 200, dead on 300" and so forth.

I THINK YOUR DATA IS INCORRECT

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I have a CZ-550 American in 9.3 x62 and it is a great rifle. I get 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with 250 grain Barnes X bullets..A friend of mine has one in .308 and that is a one-holer. I have talked with many other guys on other forums that have them and every one is a tack driver. Even the full stock models shoot under an inch. I'd love to get a full stock model in 6.5 x 55....

I have the 550 premium (I think its the same as the American but with jeweled bolt and bit more fancy checkering). 1/2"-3/4" at 100 is the norm for 3 shot groups. The Sako is truly a one-holer for me at 100, but costs twice as much. Also helps that I have a 5-30 scope on the Sako. For the price difference, I would stick with the CZ.

The full stock CZ are beautiful rifles. I was looking for one when the premium came up for sale and I couldn't pass it up.

To each his own. There no other .270 I'd rather have when need to make shots over 300 yards than a .270WBY Magnum.

I've never shot any Vanguards.

Sure, if you qualify the range of OVER 300 yards, the .270 WM DOES have advantages over many standard rounds, especially if you limit it to .270 cal.

The OP wanted to know a good, accurate rifle and caliber for shots from 100-300 yards, and the fact IS that , within those parameters, there are many chamberings that will kill game just as efficiently as a .270 WM, and do it much cheaper, and with less noise , expense and recoil.

To each his own. There no other .270 I'd rather have when need to make shots over 300 yards than a .270WBY Magnum.

I've never shot any Vanguards.

To each their own. If you are comfortable with it then it makes sense for you. You just shouldn't shut out options becasue of preference and pass it off as performance. the 270 WSM out performs the 270 Weatherby Mag out to 500 yards. and in a short action.

Weatherby itself seems to be pushing it's Vanguard model even more than the Mark V which is its trademark gun. Why?

Cause its just easier to have HOWA 1500's labelled for them?

LOL.

Had a German Weatherby that was not a pimp gun; tupperware stock double set triggers,claw mount Swaro in 300WBY......was a hell of a shooter, and not all that bad to look at. Traded it off.

I have a 300WBY barrel for one of my Blasers now......lots of 270WBY happy owners out there.

Fun cartridges, fast and flat.

But not what I'd start out with for this OP.

Buy a Remmy, 270Win,308,3006,7/08 etc, and remember to save up a little to get a decent scope on top in some good rings.

Go kill stuff.....

• Like 1

Cause its just easier to have HOWA 1500's labelled for them?

LOL.

Yup, it's the same gun. Don't know what they do with their Mark V's these days, but they have always contracted with someone else to build their guns. All they do is throw their name on it. No one is claiming they are not fine rifles, but when it comes to accuracy and killing ability, one doesn't need a Weatherby to get the job done. Lots of other options available and many for a cheaper price.

Don't know what they do with their Mark V's these days, but they have always contracted with someone else to build their guns.

Not sure either where who's contracting the mark v's......

Back to the OP's questions......

300 yds is realistic for most cartridges to shoot well without beating you up or costing you a ton for ammo.

As to what to pick?

If you are going to hunt it on the carry, I like to avoid a heavy wall barrel (stuff labelled like varmint/police/sniper) at the end of the day a 10 lb gun makes your arms feel like they are dragging the ground.

Handle a few, see how they feel in hand.

Much of this is subjective for the individual shooter; most modern medium priced guns all shoot great.

• Like 1

Hey Biz. I didn't state it. It is in the Federal Premium charts I attached. Did you even bother to look? Of course not.

Where is the WSM for that manufacturer? THey don't make it. . You are comparing apples and oranges. The freaking Weatherby ammo is damn near custom ammo.

And FYI the chart has the bullet still rising at 200 becasue the zero is at 300. A 22 LR does the same thing...lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I only shoot Weatherby Factory Ammo or the few handloads we have left that my grandfather reloaded 20 something years ago.

Why use a Weatherby rifle with inferior ammo? Makes no sense.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Thats a 300 yd zero on the chart.

Most use 200 or 100.

Apples to oranges.

Doesnt matter what zero you use. The bullet will rise from 100 to 200yards using Weatherby ammo. It will never drop in those 100 yards. Wake up man, simple math.

Doesnt matter what zero you use. The bullet will rise from 100 to 200yards using Weatherby ammo. It will never drop in those 100 yards. Wake up man, simple math.

Oh.boy.....where to start with that mess.

Do some basic reading......

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bullet_trajectory.htm

Go to any other ammo company.....they provide the choice of zero; usually 100 or 200 yd zero.

It has EVERYTHING to do with it.

I love this quote, if it doesn't fit perfect in this thread right now;

"Those who fail to understand the elementary physics of ballistics often misinterpret the configuration of barrel and the line of sight and assume that something "special" happens to the bullet during its flight."

bullets shot from a barrel starts to drop the instant it leaves the barrel, it does not rise above muzzle height, unless aimed higher............. so yes it will drop even before you get to 100 yards.................. unless good ole roy designed flying bullets.................gravit still pulls em down.....................flying bullets dinsdale!!!!! :)

Edited by waterweasle