Looking for a track driver rifle.. opinions??

right cause you have it sigthed in at 300, so its still rising to meet that POI, if you zeroed your gun at 500.............it would be rising at 200 also

if you had it zeroed dead on at 200, it would be high at 100, and dropping into the zero mark at 200

Agreed, but the WBY Mag is still faster, it still drops less, still hits harder, and still more accurate than the WSM. Case Closed. Saying the WSM outperforms the WBY Mag out to 500 yards is horse crap.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/270family.htm

"The .270 Weatherby remains the top performing standardized cartridge in the caliber."

"One of the latest members of the .270 family is the .270 WSM. This cartridge is based on the short but very fat .300 WSM case necked down to accept standard .277 inch bullets. It was immediately successful, as it filled the need for a short action .270 caliber cartridge. In performance this short magnum cartridge falls between the standard length .270 Winchester and .270 Weatherby Magnum."

To the OPs questions - with a 200 yards zero, a .270 Win (powermax bonded) will be 1.5" high at 100 and 3" low at 300 (all within the kill range). A .30-06 (federal premium sierra matchking) will be 1.75 high at 100 and 3.5" low at 300. Again, all within kill range. You would be fine with either for up to 300 yards and both have plenty of power to kill anything in the COUSA (althought the .30-06 has more ftlbs of energy at the same distance) at that distance. Also, while I listed a couple of rifles I have that I like, any decent rifle should be reasonably accurate. Savages and CZ are a good bang for the buck. Due to less recoil, the .270 will be more fun to shoot at the range and is cheaper for ammo. For the above ammo, I pay about $1 per shot for .270 and $1.65 per shot for the .30-06 (buying in bulk). Good luck with whatever you choose. I don't own one, but hear the Remington's are nice.

Who buys a corvette and puts 87 gas in it?

If you own a Weatherby, you shoot Weatherby ammo.

I'm done arguing & responding. The facts are there, do your research. I could care less about the ballistics of ammo that you couldn't pay me to use.

Show me the round that outperforms Weatherby ammo? I don't use mickey mouse OTC ammo.

Hi Mr. Biz, have you shot much at 300 yards? You have killed what at 300+ yards? I'm sure your father has because I've seen his trophy animals posted up here. How about him, how many over 300 yards? Just curious, thank you.

Edited by Lawdwaz

Hi Mr. Biz, have you shot much at 300 yards? You have killed what at 300+ yards? I'm sure your father has because I've seen his trophy animals posted up here. How about him, how many over 300 yards? Just curious, thank you.

Never have taken a shot past 200yards until I went out West 2-3 weeks ago. I hunt shotgun county only in NY. Only time I use the rifles is on hunting trips.

I shot my Mule Deer 2 times. 330 and 440. Both hits. .270 WBY Mag.

My Antelope was only 80 yards, because it came trotting towards me. I was setup to shoot at 250+ with a Weatherby 7MM Mag.

Well I guess some people have to try and buy skill if they can't develope it.

Weatherby's dont help you get a shot on the animal. You still gotta be in shape and know what your doing to get a shot and then not get buck-fever to the point where you cant shoot accurately.

Never have taken a shot past 200yards until I went out West 2-3 weeks ago. I hunt shotgun county only in NY. Only time I use the rifles is on hunting trips.

I shot my Mule Deer 2 times. 330 and 440. Both hits. .270 WBY Mag.

My Antelope was only 80 yards, because it came trotting towards me. I was setup to shoot at 250+ with a Weatherby 7MM Mag.

Why two different guns?

What range do you belong to to practice? (or do you own land with a range on it?)

We always bring 2 guns on a hunting trip incase 1 gets jarred and doesnt sight it in well or anything happens.

After I shot my antelope with the 7MM we were taking pictures. The gun was resting against a bipod and a strong wind came and knocked the gun down. Instead of taking the time to go to a range, I decided to just use the .270 for my deer. We checked the 7MM later in the week and it was fine anyway.

Regarding a range, we aren't "members" anywhere. We went to Blue Mountain (Westchester County) 3 times over the summer to get the guns where we wanted. Before this summer, I hadn't shot the rifles in a few years.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

We always bring 2 guns on a hunting trip incase 1 gets jarred and doesnt sight it in well or anything happens.

After I shot my antelope with the 7MM we were taking pictures. The gun was resting against a bipod and a strong wind came and knocked the gun down. Instead of taking the time to go to a range, I decided to just use the .270 for my deer. We checked the 7MM later in the week and it was fine anyway.

Regarding a range, we aren't "members" anywhere. We went to Blue Mountain (Westchester County) 3 times over the summer to get the guns where we wanted. Before this summer, I hadn't shot the rifles in a few years.

Where did you zero at 300 yards, and which gun?

well now that everyone has played the mine is bigger than yours game, for three pages, back to the OP question. IMHO, no matter what rifle you buy, if it does not fit you and feel comfortable. it will not be a tack driver. Handle some check them out and see what feels right. Base your decision on that. As far as caliber, based on your expectations, I have to say the 7-08. Do not believe the crap it is a small animal gun. The moose and elk that have been taken with that caliber are numerous. I would look real close at the savages. I am not a bolt fan, so I can not comment on that part. My tack driver is an encore. Both calibers I have the 25-06 and 7-08 are just that tack drivers. With a good single shot, it doesn't matter if you are left or right handed. You just have to be a good shot, and not rely on a magazine full of bullets to back you up. If neither of those calibers suit your fancy, I would look at the 308. A very good round also.

well now that everyone has played the mine is bigger than yours game, for three pages, back to the OP question. IMHO, no matter what rifle you buy, if it does not fit you and feel comfortable. it will not be a tack driver. Handle some check them out and see what feels right. Base your decision on that. As far as caliber, based on your expectations, I have to say the 7-08. Do not believe the crap it is a small animal gun. The moose and elk that have been taken with that caliber are numerous. I would look real close at the savages. I am not a bolt fan, so I can not comment on that part. My tack driver is an encore. Both calibers I have the 25-06 and 7-08 are just that tack drivers. With a good single shot, it doesn't matter if you are left or right handed. You just have to be a good shot, and not rely on a magazine full of bullets to back you up. If neither of those calibers suit your fancy, I would look at the 308. A very good round also.

"Encore" and "Tack Driver" aren't usually in the same sentence. Talk about opinions............

If the 25-06 or the 7mm-08 that I use don't suit you, you could slum a 308. Good stuff.

Welcome back bubba!!

My encore 204 ruger is a tack driver to 500yards . I know several others who would put their encore vs any gun you want...unless you get into custombuilt guns all factorys are pretty much the same. A lot is dependant on the shooter and optics......not the gun

My encore 204 ruger is a tack driver to 500yards . I know several others who would put their encore vs any gun you want...unless you get into custombuilt guns all factorys are pretty much the same. A lot is dependant on the shooter and optics......not the gun

And ammo. When you start getting out to 500 yards you have to make sure you have ammunition properly matched to your gun. Or else the best gun, optics, and shooter still won't do well.

And ammo. When you start getting out to 500 yards you have to make sure you have ammunition properly matched to your gun. Or else the best gun, optics, and shooter still won't do well.

Agree 100% and that match up doesn't care how custom the gun or ammo is. mismatched custom ammo will likely shoot worse than premium OTC that is matched correctly.

300 yards or more is a LONG bloody shot, I don't care who you are, or what gun or ammo you are shooting. I just love all those youtube videos of these guys putting animals down at 700, 800, or more yards. I call it BS and irresponsible behavior. They show us the one kill they made, but of course won't show the dozens of misses or woundings before they finally connected. In my mind it's a crying shame that you have some magazines and TV shows promoting this long distance gunning of game animals.

• Like 1

Where did you zero at 300 yards, and which gun?

Both guns were sighted in at 2" high at 100 yards. From there we shot at 200yards and the ballistics matched. When I was in Wyoming and needed to shoot at 330 and 440, I aimed according to the ballistics and made both shots.

300 yards or more is a LONG bloody shot, I don't care who you are, or what gun or ammo you are shooting. I just love all those youtube videos of these guys putting animals down at 700, 800, or more yards. I call it BS and irresponsible behavior. They show us the one kill they made, but of course won't show the dozens of misses or woundings before they finally connected. In my mind it's a crying shame that you have some magazines and TV shows promoting this long distance gunning of game animals.

I agree with you about the crazy long shots. However, 300-400 yard shots must be taken in many cases out west for deer & antelope.

I agree with you about the crazy long shots. However, 300-400 yard shots must be taken in many cases out west for deer & antelope.

They don't "have" to be taken. People take them because it's easier than actually learning how to hunt. There are lots of deer and antelope taken out west with archery gear every year.

• Like 1