The rut is on

Kludes

What precisely defines the rut as being "on"? Always wondered that....Mid-Oct. in Rochester area to me has never qualified as being "on".

Not saying I don't believe you at all, I've just never personally believe it in general.

I would loosely classify this period as pre-rut and at the beginning portion of it. Things will heat up in the next week as sign posting hits high gear.

The calls are bringing them in so I think they are at least thinking about it! Cold nights are helping! Starting to see more sign. For the rcord, those buck bombs are raunchy. They work good but man the smell is nasty. I got some on my hunting glove and somehow when I put my face cover on it got on it. Damn did that stink!

I think the younger bucks are starting to get an inkling, but its gonna be another week or so before the big boys get going. I have seen 3 1 1/2 year olds hit on the road in the last week, but have seen no chasing going on. On the farm I hunt, they regular scrapes are just starting to get opened up.

• Like 1

From what I have witnessed here, I would say the breeding season has started. Actually witnessed an older buck very interested in a smaller doe. Their was no running, on the part of the doe. Although not witnessed, I would say breeding was taking place., by the actions of the pair. This, in my opinion, is extremely early, but not unusual for this area. I dislike the term rut, and never use it.

I would say here in CNY they are maybe just coming out of summer pattern and starting very early pre rut. There will be about 2 weeks till it gets heated up here. You will always have a couple instances out of the norm.

My opinion of course and it is worth what you paid for it!! B)

Edited by Fletch

Sm bucks are excited and will chase any pretty doe out there so to speak watched it all week,A single doe hear and there may be ready but actuall breeding is 2 weeks+ away. main scrapes are just being opened. i 've had multiple sm buck sparing matches on camera. but the big boys know to wait..why expend their energy yet.

On my farm just north of Randlph ,NY, I have yet to see any scrapes or rubs. I know it will be soon but the lack of sign is getting to me.I' m not seeing the movement ,only a few does in the field in the evening.. I'm starting to think that my neighbors , 2 rogue cows that are roaming the woods would have something to do with it. But I would doubt that

Just amping up. The real rut hasn't started. Things are getting going though. Kinda like warm up laps at a race track. Driving by you might say they are racing but in reality they are not.

By no means am I saying there isn't early breeding going on etc. But I don't think we have her high gear yet.

Last Saturday, in Westchester, had a nice 8 point walk through bout 125 yards away, scraping his route, nose to the ground the whole way. Did not answer to light grunting as I didn't want to seem to aggressive this early in the season. My son went up to Orange county on Sunday, had a huge 8 come up his hill only to veer away from his side. He called twice and let out one big grunt. That turned him around and headed right at him. Shot him 15 yards from the stand. Real nice size 8 for that area. The running around by me doesn't get into full stride till the end of October, then they just go crazy.

from what i see by me, smaller bucks are starting to feel there oats chasing up some does. Have a few scrapes flare up, not really been getting freshened up yet. i think in the next week things will start heating up in the woods and getting more shooters show up in day light hours.

Sm bucks are excited and will chase any pretty doe out there so to speak watched it all week,A single doe hear and there may be ready but actuall breeding is 2 weeks+ away. main scrapes are just being opened. i 've had multiple sm buck sparing matches on camera. but the big boys know to wait..why expend their energy yet.

Two buddies are hunting down in Portville this week. They reported in last night and are seeing the same as you. One of them took a big doe, but the bucks they see are small. Clicking horns.. half a$$ chasing does. No big ones yet. I would guess pretty soon.

i never even hear that when it is "on".Just the areas i hunt i guess.Only time i ever heard rattling it was a neighbor.Even all the times i hunted state land.I try to be as stealth as possible too.Have had many all day sits.Ive heard late season tending grunts.But really want to hear and even see a couple bucks fighting.That is the reason i get up at 3:30 am on a saturday and sunday to go hunting even after getting up at 3:30 all week to get to work.LOL.

I would say here in CNY they are maybe just coming out of summer pattern and starting very early pre rut. There will be about 2 weeks till it gets heated up here. You will always have a couple instances out of the norm.

My opinion of course and it is worth what you paid for it!! B)

Im with you bucks still paired up and 1 1/2old bucks runing the button bucks off from Does.. Next week my guess here.. Have seen 8 different bucks all alone or together. Not interested in the does feeding.. Always around Halloween chasing and breeding seems to start around here..??? As far as I have been told and learned rut is determined by amount of daylight???/

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader
  • Like 1

Pre- Rut maybe, people kill me every year its the same thing, Its gonna be an early rut, Granted a few deer will be coming into heat here and there, But the Rut ( by that im assuming the chase phase) Isnt really gonna kick in until around halloween and then it will be another few days to a week before its full blown, Then around 28 days later the secound rut will come in, Mostly the activity you are seeing is normal interaction between a very social group of animals, Think like this guys you enjoy the way a women smells right, well Guess what so dont bucks, Just saying, Ive spent countless hours watching deer over the last ten years or so even in the middle of summer you will see deer following each other around, But for those who dont watch always assume that the rut is on when bow season opens normally Oct. 15th , Some guys on here have been bowhunting longer than ive been alive and out of all them years how many of you have you seen the rut ( by that i mean the chase phase )start before halloween, And how many times. I really need to know? Im part of an achery club and we have 100 or so members out witch i know almost all of them, Out of all of them only a small few are not hunters, And after talking to them most will say that maybe once or twice in the last 30 or so years has the rut ever been actually early,

• Like 2

You might see a few young bucks chasing does around but nothing to serious yet. I think everyone is anticipating the rut earlier this year because we have been hunting since October 1st instead of October 15th. Normally we would just be getting out there for the first time right now and no one would even mention the word rut until around the 25th. There will be always be a few doe that go into heat rather early but the bigger bucks know that now is not the time to burn that fat off that they have been building up all summer. I hate the phrase the rut is on lol its different all across the state and country.

I agree with Burden24 about the timing being different across the state. Every year, it seems my area is a week later than places my friends hunt at. It may just be the fact that they see a couple youngsters trailing or bothering the does, and I don't worry too much until i see a two year old actively running a doe. For hunters that have never seen active rutting behavior, it is easy to be fooled by the youngsters, but when it happens for real, it is awesome if you hunt in a good area with a few older bucks. I have seen some sights over the years that people can't even believe happen around here.