How often do you sight in your slug gun ?

I used to sight mine in every year a month or so before gun season opened . Nothing changed . Then every two years . No change . Then every 5 years . No change .

I have a 12 ga Winchester with a Weaver Qwik-Point sight from 1965 . I have shot a bunch of deer with it over the years but now about the only time I take it is opening day of gun season . Other than that , I take the muzzle loader because it's more fun to shoot .

I havn't adjusted the sight on the shotgun in about 43 years .

Every year, I drag that old shoulder-muncher out just before the deer season an put 3 rounds through it at 75 yards just to make sure that the scope has not been bumped or otherwise moved. Almost everytime, there is no more need for beating myself up. But over the years, there has been a couple of times where it wasn't shooting quite where I wanted it to. That's not a real happy thing, and then the abuse begins.

Isn't it weird that when a deer is in front of you, you never seem to feel any recoil at all, But off the bench, that 12 guage can bruise up a shoulder something awful ..... lol. And heaven help you if you develop a flinch because of it. You could wind up shooting a jillion slugs just trying to get a group that means something. :)

Doc

I shoot mine every year before the season. If the gun falls or gets bumped hard for any reason, I throw a couple of rounds through it to make sure. With my slug gun, I would shoot it more often if it wasnt so darn expensive. I shoot my TC Encore every time I go to the range as its not expensive to shoot and requires more practice than my shotgun.

Every year, I drag that old shoulder-muncher out just before the deer season an put 3 rounds through it at 75 yards just to make sure that the scope has not been bumped or otherwise moved. Almost everytime, there is no more need for beating myself up. But over the years, there has been a couple of times where it wasn't shooting quite where I wanted it to. That's not a real happy thing, and then the abuse begins.

Isn't it weird that when a deer is in front of you, you never seem to feel any recoil at all, But off the bench, that 12 guage can bruise up a shoulder something awful ..... lol. And heaven help you if you develop a flinch because of it. You could wind up shooting a jillion slugs just trying to get a group that means something. :(

Doc

Because of an injury to my left shoulder I have had to resort to shooting right handed. It has been a painful experience as of late.

My slug gun is a Rem 1100 12 gauge with a fully rifled cantilever barrel...  It wears an old El Paso Weaver steel tube K 2.5 X.. The whole rig weighs 10 pounds... I shoot 2 3/4" Win BRI standard velocity sabot slugs which have a relatively mild recoil compared to many of the other slug loads available..

The combination of a heavy, gas operated gun and relatively mild loads gives me a fairly light kicking gun, for a slug gun..I can shoot it quite comfortably from the bench... The felt recoil is less than many 20 gauge slug guns that I have shot..

Yeah, I should hang sandbags all over my 12 guage. Maybe that would tame it down a bit. ;D  Makes it a bit tough to carry through the woods though.

That's why I wanted the rifle bill to go through in southern Ontario County (with mixed feelings of course). I had it all planned how I was going to get a nice little .243 or some such light recoil thing and practice until my trigger finger got tired. Well maybe next year. I love to shoot, but it just isn't as much fun when the gun is shooting back. For this year I will still be dragging old Betsey back out and hoping I can get away with the traditional three test rounds.

Doc

I shoot mine about a month before the season.  I use up the previous years slugs and buy new.  The other thing I do when buying new is to make sure all boxes of slugs are out of the same lot.  Call me paranoid but when you get the shot of a buck of a lifetime I want to leave nothing to chance.  Also, if my gun gets bumped, will make sure she's still true.

I haven't even carried mine since I got my ML and I really think my ML kicks less than the 1187.  WHen I did carry it I made the usual trip to the range for the confidence shot. I used the same gun for small game so I pulled the cantilever barrel off every year but never did it change. SHot 3" federal premium with barnes expanders

NMYslowhand----I hear that. I tried my brother in laws NEF ONCE!!!...3-1/2" 10 ga. extra full choke ...I would rather give up turkey hunting if that was my only option. I have shot some big rifles in my life but nothing kicked me like that. My arm was numb after 2 shots.

I shoot a 20 gauge Ithica it shoots flatter and it does not kill my shoulder when target shooting.

I will sight in my shotgun each year and as well if I bump the gun or scope. Also it is a must if you change amo.

I usually only carry it opening weekend or if we do a drive and I may get a chance to take multiple deer quick. Otherwise I enjoy using the TC Triumph more.

I shoot my Gamo and 22's year around to keep up good shooting form.

Wow!  An old Quick Point.  I used one of them for a while in the 80's.  I got tired of the gigantic red dot.  I use a smaller red dot sight now that I like much better.

We are using rifles now in Madison County so the slug gun is collecting dust.  When I did use it, I sighted it in every year.  I also sight that in every year.  Too much can go wrong and we owe it to our quarry.

I sighted it in every year.  I also sight that in every year.  Too much can go wrong and we owe it to our quarry.

Yes, there is definitely an ethical consideration to making sure that the gun is hitting where you're aiming. But there also is a practical reason too. You spend a lot of time trying to put just the right deer in front of you. It doesn't make sense to take chances on your gun sight being the weak link that wastes all that time and effort and perhaps spoils the opportunity of a lifetime. It may be a bit painful, but it is a necessary ritual each year.

Doc

Apertureguy... If you are using a front bead..That's a good point.. :) ...

Lots of deer have been killed with just a bead sight over the years... As Harry Callahan once said  " A man just has to know his limitations "...

Now your handle might suggest that you use a peep rear sight.. That would make things more precise..