Growing Deer/ Why Hunters Saw Fewer Turkeys This Season Of 2022.

I don’t remember seeing or hearing any last year the 4 or 5 times I went out.   This year, I heard at least two different toms, each of the two Sunday mornings that I hunted at home .  I also saw a hen, the only day that I hunted my parents.  This was near the nw and the se corners of Wmu 9F.  

I am not hunting this weekend, but I gave my nephew, and a couple turkey expert friends of ours, permission to chase them back there on our place.  Hopefully, they get some.  

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:14 PM, wolc123 said:

I don’t remember seeing or hearing any last year the 4 or 5 times I went out.   This year, I heard at least two different toms, each of the two Sunday mornings that I hunted at home .  I also saw a hen, the only day that I hunted my parents.  This was near the nw and the se corners of Wmu 9F.  

I am not hunting this weekend, but I gave my nephew, and a couple turkey expert friends of ours, permission to chase them back there on our place.  Hopefully, they get some.  

Hope those 2 Turkey Experts dont kill a Bird apiece. 

There will be Nada Toms for you to try.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Hope those 2 Turkey Experts dont kill a Bird apiece. 

There will be Nada Toms for you to try.

I would be very happy for them if they were to take a couple back there.  I don’t even enjoy eating farm raised turkey let alone tougher, drier wild stuff.  Also, them taking out a couple big old Tom’s back there might stretch my limited corn acreage just a little farther for the deer this coming winter.

That said, wild turkeys really only hit the corn hard, after a bunch of stalks are knocked down for them by coons.  It goes well with my trapping this year, there shouldn’t be too many coons left near my field corn by mid September or so.  

Edited by wolc123

Lots of birds in my area also. Last drop was a few yrs back do to a couple cold springs, but even then, there were plenty to choose from. 

Bill, reading your post on the turkey thread has me thinking your area is well populated also.  You've heard, and have multiple close calls. 

On 5/15/2022 at 5:15 AM, wolc123 said:

I would be very happy for them if they were to take a couple back there.  I don’t even enjoy eating farm raised turkey let alone tougher, drier wild stuff.  Also, them taking out a couple big old Tom’s back there might stretch my limited corn acreage just a little farther for the deer this coming winter.

That said, wild turkeys really only hit the corn hard, after a bunch of stalks are knocked down for them by coons.  It goes well with my trapping this year, there shouldn’t be too many coons left near my field corn by mid September or so.  

you my friend dont know how to cook a wild bird dried out and tuff i think not they are moist and delicious

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, land 1 said:

you my friend dont know how to cook a wild bird dried out and tuff i think not they are moist and delicious

I will probably try again behind the house in the morning and maybe Sunday morning also.  I didn’t hear if my nephew went back there last weekend.   I don’t expect I’ll get one, but if I do, I might try a casserole recipe that I have heard folks raving about on here.  How do you cook them ?

I am getting a little sick of venison, after having tacos on three of my last (4) meals, so I am willing to try something different.  

There were three strutting toms in the opposite lane, blocking traffic (two towns away) on my drive to work at 6:45 this morning.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I will probably try again behind the house in the morning and maybe Sunday morning also.  I didn’t hear if my nephew went back there last weekend.   I don’t expect I’ll get one, but if I do, I might try a casserole recipe that I have heard folks raving about on here.  How do you cook them ?

I am getting a little sick of venison, after having tacos on three of my last (4) meals, so I am willing to try something different.  

There were three strutting toms in the opposite lane, blocking traffic (two towns away) on my drive to work at 6:45 this morning.  

Make turkey gravy and biscuits or soup with the legs and the breast is great, I brine them a little with salt and sugar then make anything you would do with chicken breast.  Lots of good recipes online.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattypotpie8S said:

Throw the legs and thighs in the crock pot with some stock until tender then pull the meat. Use for soup, tacos, bbq sandwich, turkey salad sandwich and such

That’s what I did with the hen that I killed a few falls ago.  It was a lot better than the drumsticks I have had from spring toms that friends have given me a few times.  

No turkey action at all for me this morning, for the first time.  I heard toms and saw a hen the other 4 times I went out.  I may try again tomorrow morning and possibly up in the Adirondacks over Memorial Day weekend but only if I hear a tom gobbling while my am out fishing at sunrise.

• Like 1