Pleasantville hunting opportunity

crappyice

DEP has lands open to hunting, go to thier web site and look for recreation info, theres maps in there somewhere

If it's DEP land, you can easily walk along it and look for posted signs that indicate what scripture are permitted. DEP does require a permit in order to access their land.

Replying to MAC. There's NYC (DEP) land to hunt in Westchester...see below

Westchester Angle Fly*** Somers 3S 269 Westchester Big Peninsula** North Castle 3S 326 Westchester Louden Point** North Castle 3S 180 Westchester Muscoot East*** Lewisboro 3S 160 Westchester New Croton**** Yorktown 3S 210 Westchester Stayback Hill**** Yorktown 3S 142 Westchester Turkey Mountain East** Yorktown 3S 95 Westchester Turkey Mountain West** Yorktown 3S 185

Mac -

I think Westchester opened up some of their parks to bow hunting. I'm not sure what the requirements are, but check out the link below

http://parks.westchestergov.com/deer-management

This program will resume in October 2012. Check back for updates.

In response to the recommendations of the Westchester County Citizen’s Task Force on White-tailed Deer and Forest Regeneration and recognizing the success of regional municipalities with managing deer density, Westchester County will re-open sections of Muscoot Farm and Lasdon Park and Arboretum in Somers, Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Cross River and Mountain Lakes Park in North Salem for bow hunting deer in the autumn of 2012. Participants will be selected by testing and lottery.

Westchester County hunting program dates will be announced as they become available. However, for planning purposes, hunters should be aware that during the season, Westchester County will permit hunting at:

• Sal J. Prezioso Mountain Lakes Park, Lasdon Park and Arboretum and Muscoot Farm seven days a week from 4:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, hunting hours will be Mon. – Fri., 4:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. ONLY. At Ward Pound Ridge participants must stop actively hunting by 10 a.m. and must be completely signed out by 11 a.m. In addition, Ward Pound Ridge will be closed to hunting on the following holidays: Monday, Oct. 8; Thursday, Nov. 22; and Friday, Nov. 23.

The parks will remain open during the season and informational signs will be posted for hunters and park visitors. A detailed safety program will be in effect.

Read the full Westchester County Adaptive Deer Management Program 2012 Guidelines and complete the required application.

For more information, call (914) 864-7326.

View the Adaptive Deer Management Program Report or the Deer and Forest Regeneration Report.

Mmkay...I am in that program for the first time this year. It's pretty cool in terms of connecting with other hunters who actually shae info about where deer are and what they are feeding on. The purpose is to thin the herd so info is always flowing between hunters via mandatory logs and check ins. Haven't harvested a dee yet but have seen enough to keep me hopeful. Even with this program, I am always looking for someplace else..grass is always greener!

Your best bet is to drive around Westchester, find the biggest/nicest houses with the best landscaping and ask for permission to hunt. They probably spent well over $100k on the landscaping and the deer are destroying it......Used to do this when i was in highschool. One year the people were deer lovers, the next after all there shrubs were chewed up to 6 feet high they were begging for the deer to be gone!! Only problem is that you may be sitting in between 4 houses watching everyone get our of bed and have breakfast......it was actually pretty funny, one lady used to get up, make coffee and leave a cup on the deck for me (payment for taking away some deer).

It wasn't too close....It's easy to see people waking up when your sitting in the dark. The problem was when you didn't make a perfect shot and the deer went on someone else's property. Some people were good about letting you get the deer, others not so much.