Any Grouse or Quail hunters here?

Grouse or quail usually are specifically targeted. In NJ here, it was often the case to find quail in pheasant habitat and vice versa. Ditto for other states like IL, MO and MD where I have hunted them.

The grouse is the prince of the forest, and probably the toughest of game birds to take. Hope to get out for some this year. I have hunted them in PA, NY, NJ and ME.

I have hunted quail in VA, MO, IL, MD. and in my home state of NJ. New Jersey which had a sizable population of native birds in the southern portions of the state like Ocean, Cape May and Cumberland counties some forty years ago. (As a kid, I can remember piling into Dad's 1948 DeSoto and later in his 1962 Plymouth station wagon with him driving 3 hrs. one-way to hunt quail in southern NJ for the day, then coming home at night dead tired.) Up until the late 70's it was pretty good. Farming practices and encroaching civilization changed all that. Down here they have closed quail hunting on all the WMA lands except two, which the state stocks for a period of time until the end of the year. As you can imagine, stocked quail are not the same as wild birds. As part of a Quail Unlimited initiative, they has shortened the season as well (ditto for grouse) to try and bring back the population. I suspect their efforts will be futile. Each day brings less open land in this state. Habitat is key.

For quail you can use small shot (9's & 8's) and for grouse you can use the same size shot. Some use 7 1/2's but I don't think I've ever used it. Quail are tiny like a woodcock, they don't need much to bring them down. They appear fast on takeoff and they can unnerve you just like a grouse when they rocket away. Grouse are taken up close, so tiny shot works fine on them. I've never hunted in a grouse woods or taken a shot or hit one farther than 25 yds. away. Cover us usually thick, and their presence is limited and fleeting. Everyone knows you can't hit a grouse in open cover anyway. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh the King of upland birds. Grouse are awesome birds to hunt over well trained dogs. Usually hunt them with my 12 gauge but having a lighter gun such as a 20 or 28 gauge is more ideal. Need to hunt the thick stuff if you want to flush them otherwise you'll see them dirt bathing on WMA roads or logging roads.

I once had the chance to shoot a strutting grouse during bow season/grouse season - three years ago I think. It was right at the cusp of light/shooting time and I opted not to shoot him. I wasn't 100% sure on the legality at that moment. Had I know I was legit and could have...I would.

I kick myself for that everytime I think about it.

• 1 month later...

I just hunted for grouse specifically during the last week. I went out three different days. I saw nothing the first two days. Only a few small song birds. The last day I flushed two grouse. It was so thick where they were I could only hear them, not see them, and they were pretty close. A very challenging bird to hunt.

I was using a 12 ga with 7 1/2 shot. A 20 ga with the same size shot goes sometimes.

I used to hunt grouse here in Pa when there were a lot to flush up.But at the NY cabin I won't hunt them.Not enough there to hunt.I had a pair there 3 years ago,she got eaten by a hawk.He drummed for 2 years over on the stone wall,finally picked up a suiter,had babies and now I don't see or hear them.I hope they make it ok....would be nice to see them in the spring.Being on a river,there are a lot of predators,hawks,owls,fischer,yotes,fox.It don't look good for them.

I cut my hunting teeth shooting grouse..In 1962, I shot 14 with my 16 gauge Eastern Arms single shot, plus a couple woodcock.

Over the years, we had some pretty good grouse hunting here in Steuben County. In the late 70s, early 80s, a couple of buddies and I limited out a couple of times ( 12 birds). We were hunting over a couple of springer spaniels at the time..

All three of us were shooting 20 gauge guns with field loads ( 7/8 oz.) of 7 1/2 shot..Two of us shot side by sides (IC/Mod) and the other guy shot a Rem 1100 Lt-20 in a mod choke.

Nowadays, I might shoot a grouse or two a year while I am rabbit hunting..Due to habitat changes or whatever, the birds just are not here like they used to be.

Grouse is one of my favorite things to hunt. Its really nice to have a healthy wild bird population that most people don't take advantage of. I typically will hunt them with a 20ga, IC, MO size 6 shot. Here a picture of one I got today after work.

post-1147-0-80983700-1355965118_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Grouse is one of my favorite things to hunt. Its really nice to have a healthy wild bird population that most people don't take advantage of. I typically will hunt them with a 20ga, IC, MO size 6 shot. Here a picture of one I got today after work.

Hi Rob.. where exactly is this "healthy wild bird population". I have not seen good numbers of grouse or good flushing rates in over 20 years! But I get out after the big game seasons and try my best.

Edited by SteveMcD

I used to try to hunt grouse but have always been miserable at it. I have often said if a deer could jump high enough into the air I would never be able to fill a tag. LOL! There have always been a few on my property but the population is way up this year for some reason. I watched three females walking around one day that were followed by a very excited male. He was puffing up, fanned out, and trying desperately to impress them as they just walked along pecking at the ground.

I have also seen a few "timber doodles".Those silly things will hunker down and let you almost step on them before they take off sometimes.

steve mcd there are good populations in various sections of the state takes research and time in the woods to find them all but..... pygmy where in stuben? have had good flushing rates the last few years there and things are really looking good for this season..... was hoping to get out tommorow but some unexpected home repairs will keep my am. cocker and i indoors

Steve- I hunt public land in NNY. I haven't been hunting them for 20 years so what I consider good flush rates may not be the same as other. But I consistently find birds... not always harvest a bird though. As many know those suckers can be hard to hit.