Cornell Deer Study and Links 2010

wztirem

I always get nervous when they start screwing around with contraceptive approaches to deer population controls. It has always been comforting to hear that such activities are not practical, but I long ago learned that nothing is impossible. We are constantly surprised with technological advances that finally achieve the "impossible".

The implications of this kind of research is important in light of hunter populations shrinking. I often think that the only reason we are put up with is the fact that there is no other way of controlling deer herds. It would be in the interest of hunting that things stay that way.

Doc

the state generates money from hunting.Contraceptive ''pipe dreams'' would cost the state money.Try telling the tax payers,in this economic climate, that were raising taxes to fund a program to solve a problem that here to date was paid for by hunters.The state was estatic last week when I paid them $98 for chance to reduce the deer population.

the state generates money from hunting.Contraceptive ''pipe dreams'' would cost the state money.Try telling the tax payers,in this economic climate, that were raising taxes to fund a program to solve a problem that here to date was paid for by hunters.The state was estatic last week when I paid them $98 for chance to reduce the deer population.

Do not expect a "thank you card" to be mailed to you. I liked the last sentence of your post, pretty funny.

We should have a "Top Ten Site " for humorous quotes on this site.

Be well!

This type of study at Cornell does not surprise!!

My ex-wife worked at Cornell in the DNR and had 1st hand knowledge of studies & "weird science".

The one that comes to mind is one of the departments was attempting to develop a feather-less chicken.

Apparently this was encouraged by the poultry industry.

They had to discontinue research when the chickens became very susceptible to pneumonia.

DUH!!! ???

And yet, there is Cornell heavily investing into contraceptive style deer population control studies. I'm not saying that they will be successful or that they are going to come up with a practical means of non-lethal game management. But then I'm not so foolish as to swear that they won't either. And if the day should ever come that hunters are unable to keep up with the task of trimming the herd, there will be even more pressure to develop alternatives (from all of the anti-deer financial forces). That's why I said that I would just as soon they didn't even try.

doc