New hunters need to be prepared for "after the shot"

PWGUNNY

Just some friendly advice for new deer hunters. You need to plan and prepare for "after the shot".

If you bag a deer, you have some chores to do and you need to plan this part.

1) Tag your deer and gut your deer. Know how to do this properly. Read up and watch some youtube videos.

2) drag your deer out of the woods. If you are alone there are several methods here. Use a drag rope and if necessary, you may have to do what I call the relay. Walk you bow/riifle gear up a 100 yrds. leave it on the ground and go back and drag your deer up to your gear. Repeat until out of the woods.

I have a deer cart that I leave in the truck. If I bag a big one and need the cart, I will mark the deer spot, return my gear to the truck and retrieve my cart to wheel the deer out.

3) Transporting the deer. I purchased a hitch-haul that goes to my trailer hitch to make it easy to get the deer to the butcher. I no longer want to tie a deer to my roof or put a carcass with blood and ticks in the back of my SUV.

You need to think this through. Just some friendly advice. I've had to work out these issues since I hunt in 3 different situations. Rifle season in Cobleskill is easy as I'm always with a buddy and I have a quad to move the deer out.

Long Island I am bowhunting alone and PA, I am hunting alone.

Good post and good advice. I usually hunt alone and my land is hilly, thick, and wet. I keep a plastic sled at the cabin to make dragging a deer a whole lot easier. I've heard that there are more fatalities dragging deer out of the woods than treestand accidents and accidental shootings combined.

I plan to:

1 - fill out tag (keep fine point sharpie in bag).

2 - gut deer, hang to tree.

3 - hike back to car and drop off gear.

4 - hike back to deer and drag out with drag rope.

5 - if deer small enough, stuff into trunk of toyota camry.

6 - if deer too big, quarter and stuff into trunk of camry.

hope that works because I have no other options.

This is a good reminder for those who have not taken a deer yet.

I remember taking my first deer 2 years ago and luckily my experienced friends were with me.

I didn't have a knife.

I didn't have a pen.

I didn't have anything to attach the tag to the deer.

I didn't have any thing to drag the deer with.

I was not prepared.

Now I make sure I got a pen that works.

Small zip ties for attaching the tag.

my sharp folding buck knife for gutting.

Some gutting glove to stay clean and mostly mess free.

A drag rope.

I also have flagging tape for marking the blood trail if there is not a lot of blood. that way I can go back to the last blood found if need be.

I will never tag the deer until it gets to the means of transportation..ie truck. I have lost tags ZIP TIED to the deer on multiple occassions. It is not required you attach the tag while dragging.

Dragging solo sucks.

If you have a truck, there are a few methods you can use to get it up there. The best in my opinion, is to get a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 plywood sheet and cut it down so it'll fit in the bed of your pick up flat (varies based on bed size and style).

With the deer at your truck, open bed and pull sheet out like a ramp. Pull deer to edge of plywood and tie off with your rope to the truck rail. Pull it up the ramp a bit. Once you get the head up to the top of the plywood/bed, retighten it down. The jump down, go to the bottom of the plywood and you can lift and then slide the plywood in easy, with the deer on top of it. This works great for larger bucks because you are using leverage.

Other option is to tie the buck up to the tree, use the truck to lift him up and tie the rope to the tree...back truck under buck, and lower.

Or, back truck to the bottom of a ditch/hillside and slide the deer down into the bed.

• Like 4

As I expected on this thread, more good advice contributed from my fellow hunters. All good stuff. The pen is important and I also fill it out and tag at the truck. I once lost a tag and spent another frantic 30 minutes searching for the lost tag.

I always hear or read stories about how guys like to hike in deep, and the thought always pops up in my head,"how do you get your deer out".

If hunting on public land, I would make sure the deer is hidden if I was to leave it and go to my vehicle first before I dragged it out. Leaving it easily visible on a logging road or trail is not a good idea. You may go back and not find anything, and in most cases it probably wasn't stolen by a bear or coyotes but by something that walks on 2 legs.

Edited by steve863

if you are taking a doe make sure you have a rope. You can drag bucks by the antlers but does are really difficult and awkward without a rope. Also if you are by yourself, bring a short piece of rope to help in field dressing. I usually tie the outside rear leg to a sappling so that it holds the leg in the air - makes dressing a lot easier. If you are with a buddy they can just hold the leg up while you are gutting.

• Like 1

If hunting on public land, I would make sure the deer is hidden if I was to leave it and go to my vehicle first before I dragged it out. Leaving it easily visible on a logging road or trail is not a good idea. You may go back and not find anything, and in most cases it probably wasn't stolen by a bear or coyotes but by something that walks on 2 legs.

Take the broadhead and jam it in under the skin wound. Or...slide a shell, casing, etc. inside the gumline. You can mark your deer that way if you have a problem.

I have been hunting for 24 years now and learn two things just from this forum.

UA22PLUMBER: I also have flagging tape for marking the blood trail if there is not a lot of blood. that way I can go back to the last blood found if need be.

I was always finding myself putting my hat or gloves at last blood but I really like this idea. I will have to put some in my bag.

Phade: The plywood idea is awsome. I will be sure to do this as well.

Your are never to old or experienced to learn. 365 days a year I carry a pen wirth me and some of my buddies bust my chops once in a while but I have found over the years that is the number one item that most of them never have. A pen that will write on the tag is very important.

Anybody ever fireman-carry a deer out-if it's not some ridiculous distance that is? Just curious.

I thought about that because I always think I am stronger than what I really am but I also have an irrational fear some dim wit will shoot at a floating deer.

• Like 2

I plan to:

1 - fill out tag (keep fine point sharpie in bag).

2 - gut deer, hang to tree.

3 - hike back to car and drop off gear.

4 - hike back to deer and drag out with drag rope.

5 - if deer small enough, stuff into trunk of toyota camry.

6 - if deer too big, quarter and stuff into trunk of camry.

hope that works because I have no other options.

I really suggest doing the leap frog method Elmo. Don't let your deer out of your sight.

Anybody ever fireman-carry a deer out-if it's not some ridiculous distance that is? Just curious.

I have, but I tied my blaze orange jacket around the deer and it was during the time when there was actually DMPs issued in this WMA and it was a small doe. It was only 300-400 yards from camp.

I thought about that because I always think I am stronger than what I really am but I also have an irrational fear some dim wit will shoot at a floating deer.

Someone WILL shoot at a deer floating upside down through the woods. It's just not worth it to risk it unless you can wrap it up in blaze orange.

You'll learn real fast how heavy deer are with one on your shoulder (if you can even get it on your shoulder). Also, very awkward.

1st thing youngsters need to learn is;

- When you know its dead, unload.

- You are shaking to much to gut safely, sit down and relax, fill out your tag and enjoy the moment.

- Make sure you know which edge of the knife is sharp. Brother's friend was so jacked up he had the blade upside down and cut himself bad.

- Then follow everyone elses advice

Something I recently added that takes up no space is a glowstick. I often hunt the afternoon so after I get my deer I'll tie a glow stick above it in a tree and hike out to change my cloths and drop off my gear. I return with a gallon of water, paper towels, a drag, and knife. Much easier to find the deer again in the dark when theres a glowing beacon above it. It also can be utilized in an emergency situation or as a second light