Toy from childhood

hueyjazz

Cleaning out my childhood home I found this toy from a time before abundant lawsuits.

Now what could go wrong?  I also found my bow and arrow with the steel tip field tips.  Great toys for a ten-year-old. 

For those of you in a time much after Jarts history.  These could go through your skull.  (And sometimes did.)   But going through your foot was much more common.   Steel tip heavy lawn darts.  You play it like horseshoes, so you did throw these toward people into an 18" ring.

But I have to admit.  We actually went Outside to play and ran around.  And when we play guns and robbers, it was toy guns.

Jarts.jpg

• Like 13

My sister took a Jart in the leg. good times
I've never seen an actual game played. I'm caulking it up to their only current use being a fan of the Ranch Fairy showing up to play darts at a local drinking establishment.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

They had a nice heft to them and you could fling one a mile.

These were great too. Until they started shattering and taking out kids' eyes.

I would put a few together like bolas and give my little sister a running start before I took her down.

Of course, nothing beat Bag O' Glass for playground fun.

• Like 1

Loved jarts as a kid . Back in the 90s I made 2 sets out of steel. Part of my apprenticeship.  Flights were cut from stainless. I had one set and my class a took the other. Disappeared one night after a party that went late into the evening . Never did figure  out who took them .

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

You guys ever hear of a Ford Pinto?

Had a pinto wagon in high-school... my friends  called it the pie wagon ..... it was a winter  raising hell car . Mustang was my summer car . Way to much work and money to drive the mustang in the winter. 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Ha, Jarts were great, we also had bb gun wars. 

We would go into my buddy, Louie's, basement and set up teams on each side of the room. Then, armed with every shoe and boot in the house, we would douse the lights and hurl them at each other in the dark. One day, Louie (who I think ended up in prison) suggested we use knives. Didn't happen. 

We would use knives to play "stretchies" where you would face each other and throw a knife just outside the other guy's foot. If it stuck in the grass and was under 12" away, he had to move his foot to that position and it was his turn to throw at you. You lost when you fell over or won if someone planted a knife in your foot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Maverick was a real gem too.  You only died in it, but it didn't blow up as well as the Pinto did with the gas tank for a bumper.  That's some fine4 engineering there.  Hard to believe we were first to moon during this time.

Edited by hueyjazz

Just now, hueyjazz said:

The Maverick was a real gem too.  You only died in it, but it didn't blow up as well as the Pinto did with the gas tank for a bumper.

First car was a Maverick. Loved that little sporty job.

By the way, not sure of it was a Canadian thing but we called them Lawn Darts not Jarts.

image.png.0567f676c7eaef5f38d9dd258e00992b.png

Ah yes, Jarts. We used to use them as a form of chicken. One guy would stand a bit away while another would throw the frickin’ thing as high as he could into the air. The aim was to move yourself under it and stand still while it plummeted out of orbit and see how close you could put yourself under it without getting impaled. Honestly, only a few foot injuries and one single stab in the shoulder. Those things really had some weight and momentum behind them. Dumb, crazy and juvenile. What’d you expect?

Lol, we had BB gun wars but the most dangerous i think was wrist rocket wars. I remember my brother running a way and i pegged him in the back of the head with a good sized rock and he went right down. Got in a lot of trouble for that good shot!

43 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

3 pump rule in effect?

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

lol yea! It may even have been 2. That shit stung lol.

We played no head shots, but some idiot down the road shot my little brother in the face. Luckily, not in the eye. We beat the shit out of him. 

Frozen paintballs hurt way more than BB's. Getting lit up by someone with a Tippmann Pro Lite on halloween would leave bruises for weeks