trespassers

hrymanback

Hi everyone does anyone have a good story of trespassers and how did they handle it. Mine of many is when I had a hunter leaning on one of my posted signs and I asked if they needed anything. Im a jerk when someone who doesn't ask to hunt just shows up out of know were. He looked at me and said what are you doing on my dads land .LOL. Shocked at first cuz that's the first time I ever heard that one and I kinda know the neighborhood so this was a new face I have never seen before. With a smile I said wow that's first time I have heard that one . Usually I get Im lost or my shot deer happen to run over here and they need to get in my stands to find it. LOL. So he asked what my name was so he could call his dad to see if he wanted to press charges on me for trespassing. I told him Ill make easy for him and call them myself and I pulled my phone out and he looked at me in a slight panic and said Ill be back I am going to get my dad and scooted off in a good clip.

The scary part of it was I have the land posted But 100 feet from the house is were he was sitting looking at my back door. Kinda wounder if he was watching the wife get ready for the day you if know what I mean. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I was in my high treestand on the property line, ~20 feet up, this is second? week of gun.  I take my orange off during gun when I'm 20 feet up in the air, so I'm pretty inconspicuous.  Quiet, dry day, and I hear something coming through the woods.  This A-hole was trolling right along 100 yards past the posted signs, no orange, all solid brown  & black with a friggin white fur trimmed hat.

So when he's about 30 yards away from the stand, I yell in my big boy voice "HEY!  Walking around with no orange on posted property is a really good way to get shot."

And the nervy bastard replies (in a thick new jersey accent) "Well ya bettah be fuwkin carful what yuh shootin' at!" 

Can I legally disarm, hold at riflepoint people until the state police show up?

becareful about disa-arming legally i don't think u can do that . The picture idea is a good one - i've done that, then taken it to the police - also get the backtag # if they will stay still enough.

I've had the trespassing problem for a long time - but it got better once I got someone arrested -word travels fast.

I also carry a pistol with me - word got around "that guy carries a handgun"...

I also had alot of problems with 4 wheelers trespassing all of the time. They would cut thier own trails through my forest, falling many marketable trees, ie hard maple, cherry and oak. I called the State Police and asked what my rights were as a landowner. The officer told me that I can remove the key from the trrespasser's machine and call him on his personal cell phone and he would come over and take care of the problem for me. He told me he had the same problem on his land until he got serious and started enforcing the trespassing laws. The only way that I stopped the problem was to knock on every abutting neighbor's door and let them know that I was serious about inforcement!

Hunting days are very precious to me with having to work most of the time. There is nothing more aggravating than sitting in your treestand waiting for that buck that you have been after to only have some a-hole screw it up on you. Especially on land that you have worked your butt off to own, post and pay taxes on.

On another occasion on my land, I was calling in a group of long-beards for a friend of mine who had never shot a turkey. A guy snuck in between the turkeys and us and ruined the whole morning. The guy was from PA and just pulled his truck onto the shoulder of the road, ignored my posters and just hunted it as if it was his. By the time a got done with him, I noticed a brown stain running down the back of his pants as he was running away from me.  ;)  My friend said he felt sorry for the trespasser after I got done with him.

Another time, I confronted a guy cutting wood on my land, he told me that he knew the landowner and he had permission to be there to take firewood. Well I had owned the land for 12 years and never had seen the guy before. They all get that wierd look on their face when they get caught.

As you can see, this is a passionate subject for me.  :O

Good hunting

Catskillkid

Its been an on going thing for me "knock on wood" its been quite back there the last couple of years. The neighboring land is starting to post so im sure soon there will be out again. Its not that im greedy its I don't trust anyone any more. I put way to much time and hard work in set ups just to walk out and see candy wrappers and cigarette butts O and beer cans all over. I cant forget my tree pegs and seats for my ladder stand on the ground. I have my trail cams up and locked and I hope I don't catch anyone on it. I will go to the cops.........   

No you can't legally disarm somebody on stupidity. I know I would like to disarm some people. But I can't.

Best thing to do is get as much information about the individual that you can and report him . Maybe you could follow them out and get a vehicle registration number and a description of the vehicle and report that as well.

Camera phones are our best friend....face....tag number and license plate are as good as gold.

My best stoy is as follows. I am up north on my uncles posted property ...bow hunting the early season. I went in 2 weeks before and set up muy stand. I climbed in very early oopening day and was all settled in. after about 20 minutes I see a flashlight coming in from adjacent property and the guy walks up to about 10 yards in front of me and climbes into a stand. His back is right to me and I was almost laughing that this guy had set his stand up right in front of me. I let it get light and never said a word. I knew the morning was shot.

You should have seen the look on his face when he turned around and was looking eye to eye with me.  I climbed out and so did he. He came towards me with an attitude and I asked him what he was doing here. He said his uncle owns the property and I better get out. I said "That is strange.....I have never seen you at any reunions and since my uncle owned it too we must be cousins"

He got reall pale and I told him he had 15 minutes to get his stand down and get out of my sight. I have never seen screwed in steps come out so fast...lol

I often worry about my camp and folks messing around in there since it is so remote....knock on wood no issues in 4 years. I would love to have one of those remote trail cams that emails the pics to you for security.....get the pics of the perps emailed to you but the cost is too crazy for now. Maybe they will come down in a few years

We have had drunk tresspassers in the past.Our property is posted every 50 feet by sign or yellow paint.There is no way to NOT to see it when you cross it.It BLOWS my mind every year we get one GERK on it.We do wear orange to be seen by other hunters.

Last year I came upon a guy who had beer on his breath walking right down our trail towards me.I had my 8 year old nephew with me who I told stay here by this tree while I go see this guy.He says is that my tree stand up the hill and did I get anything out of it.I said why yes it is and its none of your bussiness if I got anything out of it.After smelling booze on his breath I asked him if he new how to get off our property and he said yes.First it scares me that he knows how to get off our property and why in earth he would be drinkning and hunting.

Not a good sign for a future 8 year old hunter to see.

Second,WHY in earth do you have to wear your back tag in the Southern zone and not Norhern where my property is.Thats one thing that pi$$es me off.

Sorry to vent but thats one thing I hate is tresspassing.

i think most of us deal with this year after year... i would not suggest handiling the situation forcefully unless its the only option, even then thats iffy. theres to many wackos out there with not much to loose. Its the ones who creep on peoples land with out a spec of orange and you know exactly what they are doing and that they are trying to lurk under the radar. pisses me off but it happend alot to most.

it should not come as a surprise that there are prob more hunters who will walk up to a posted sign and walk past as if it doesnt exist. half the time they may not even think the land owner might be posted up not to far from the edge and  may be watching that lurking hunter. some hunters are weird, espsecially if word got ouot that there may be a decent buck roaming that timber, its like bouderies dont exist for them...

Several years ago my sister in law had shot at a buck and hit it . It was heading downfield to her north field . A hunter was standing by a coop (horse jump) and dropped the buck . He walked over to the buck and she had run down the lane to take another shot . She told the guy he was shooting onto posted land . He said he didn't know it was posted . She said there is a Posted Sign right on the post where he had rested his gun . He left and she got the deer . The posted signs were obvious !

Another incident --------- My sister in law was asked by her neighbor if he could hunt on her property . She told him to let her know when "he" would be out there . When gun season opened , there was a couple of young hunters walking her land . She confronted the two and told them to leave .They said "uncle Ron said we could hunt here ." She said "Uncle Ron doesn't own this property and they were to leave ".They walked away and sat on a coop on the property line mouthing off . A guy on the other side of the field called to them and they said they couldn't come across because the land is posted and they were told to leave . They were hollaring to each other across a 200 yard field .

I told the man what happened and he happened to be their father . He said 'well , she's just making trouble for herself" ! I told him , "It's her property and she can do what she wants with it !"

I have told tresspassers that I have seen in her woods to leave .....It always seems like they are "lost" or "tracking a wounded deer" ( when there have been no sound of any shots) ................

I know with my signs I use a ladder get them high and I have some hunters orange paint I us in the backing of the sign. They almost glow in the dark LOL. My issue is the property next door the owner has a bar. So they let anyone hunt. They drink hunt and drink more the word travels fast when hunter go in so more come out.

I know with my signs I use a ladder get them high and I have some hunters orange paint I us in the backing of the sign. They almost glow in the dark LOL. My issue is the property next door the owner has a bar. So they let anyone hunt. They drink hunt and drink more the word travels fast when hunter go in so more come out.

Boy thats a scarry thing to deal with.. yikes!

We have a serious problem with poachers and have had a hard time getting it under control.  Up in northern NY, land is very remote and there aren't very many deer.  So, when you have deer in your fiels everyone knows.  Over the years we've had two 10 points jacked, a couple small bucks, and one doe that I know of.  We got in contact with the DEC and they keep a pretty close eye on our land.  We also asked the farmer to stop cutting the fields so that deer would have protection if necessary.  Plus, they would be less likely to be in the field to feed and would spend more time in our food plots.  But, the funniest thing we did, we put up a very aggressive barbed wire fence that spans 800 yards.  In three different locations we put up electrical box's and hooked them to the fence to look like they had electricity flowing to them.  All the sudden, everyone's asking us how we got electricity to the fence!  Hopefully the long grass and electric fence keeps people from shooting from their cars.  Most of them need pictures of the deer because they actually have contests up there for the biggest jacked buck.

Really? Contests? That's crazy.  It has to be hard to try to fight that when your not there all the time.  I worry a bit by me, but thank got I got to meet everyone that surrounds me, and they all have their property posted (as do I).  I think that should keep any trespassers out, because literally the only way in is either past our cabin or through a neighboring property.

Yes - the high school kids last year were running a contest.  Rumors were flying around about the 10 point they shot on our property (one field is very visible from the road).  Two weeks later they shot a 4 point, but never took the time to take a picture.  So, they came back the next day while my Dad was there and asked him if they could go see the buck that was shot.  That was a red flag, since you couldn't really see the carcass well from the road and it was not clear that it was a buck.  They got a nice visit from the DEC after that.